Thread: Disc and mana

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Disc and mana

I have 10.5k spirit, 30%crit, 40% mastery and 4% haste if my memory serves me. I had to really be careful of using shield much or I will go oom. I use mind bender on cd via a weak aura. I can usually squad just enough maw for a fight it with little to spare if another healer goes down, I am now main spec disc from Holy. Are other discs just having just enough mana?

Well, I'd swap more mastery to crit if possible.

Anyway, I run 10k Spr, have LMG, and never run into mana issues.

Use PWS smartly - on LMG procs, when you'll have a lot of damage that needs shielding *asap*.

I use PW: S pretty much only under LMG procs or rapture (where it'll be "free" in the long run if it's used up).

I run 7.2k ish.

Deleted
    I am not a very progressed healer, only 7/14 on normal - two healing everything, even with 6300 spirit mana still seems manageable with clever use of LMG procs and using mana regen abilities on cd.

10+ Year Old Account
    10k is pretty comfortable for me. You're right though, PW:S is a mana hog. I don't use it for much other than the movement boost and fishing for mana when Lucidity is up. I find Atonement, PoH, lv90 talents and Spirit Shell are good to cover my healing needs.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    And also now we can design gear to show off the male human high res nipples/chest hair.

Deleted
    10.5k spirit means you can use 2-3 PWS per 15s and still have tons of left over mana. I use PWS whenever I think it is needed and still don't have any mana problems with 10.5k spirit. The key is knowing when PWS is the right spell to use and when you can get the same HPS from your more efficient spells. I am at 15% of my healing from PWS and 120-150k HPS on Hc spoils tries so far and mana is at 50% when the first room ends.

theres hardly any fight that requires quick POHs and usually attonement healing keeps the whole raid healthy along with lvl90 talent heal

running with 7.7k spirit and not running out of mana anytime soon

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc12 View Post
    10.5k spirit means you can use 2-3 PWS per 15s and still have tons of left over mana. I use PWS whenever I think it is needed and still don't have any mana problems with 10.5k spirit. The key is knowing when PWS is the right spell to use and when you can get the same HPS from your more efficient spells. I am at 15% of my healing from PWS and 120-150k HPS on Hc spoils tries so far and mana is at 50% when the first room ends.
    what havoc said as well
    http://oce.op.gg/summoner/userName=dw+soul+roc in oceanic now Lol

5172-1206-0622 pokemon FC Lets Battle!!

Was able to 2 heal all of normal with 9-10k spirit aside from malkorok(oom at the end but at that point theh ealers could afk), if I 3 healed I would've had to drop to 6k or something stupid.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightstorm View Post
    I have 10.5k spirit, 30%crit, 40% mastery and 4% haste if my memory serves me. I had to really be careful of using shield much or I will go oom. I use mind bender on cd via a weak aura. I can usually squad just enough maw for a fight it with little to spare if another healer goes down, I am now main spec disc from Holy. Are other discs just having just enough mana?
    Running ~13k spirit all of time, switching trinkets between bosses if less mana needed (10 men hc). Could drop easily to 10k on some bosses, there is big differences between bosses of course. For example Protectors hc where dispels and emergency mass dispels drain lot of mana I need that 13k minimum and its all used if something goes wrong. Also on some bosses Binding heal is far too good spell to not use but its mana heavy, its very common situation where couple peoples take heavy hits and rest are full or almost full and binding fits perfectly that damage pattern.

IMHO getting bit more spirit wont have much negative effect on size of your heals but allows you much more free spell selections to react bad situations. This "spirit is bad, get more crit" attitude here in forums seems to come from 25 men viewpoint who can just sit stacked and spam divine star to win meters (I might exaggerate bit but only bit), they can go easily lower spirit as they can play afford to play effectively thanks to how they have more healers to cover emergencies. Its emergencies/fast heals which eats healer mana, not normal "rotation".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sahtila View Post
    Running ~13k spirit all of time, switching trinkets between bosses if less mana needed (10 men hc). Could drop easily to 10k on some bosses, there is big differences between bosses of course. For example Protectors hc where dispels and emergency mass dispels drain lot of mana I need that 13k minimum and its all used if something goes wrong. Also on some bosses Binding heal is far too good spell to not use but its mana heavy, its very common situation where couple peoples take heavy hits and rest are full or almost full and binding fits perfectly that damage pattern.

IMHO getting bit more spirit wont have much negative effect on size of your heals but allows you much more free spell selections to react bad situations. This "spirit is bad, get more crit" attitude here in forums seems to come from 25 men viewpoint who can just sit stacked and spam divine star to win meters (I might exaggerate bit but only bit), they can go easily lower spirit as they can play afford to play effectively thanks to how they have more healers to cover emergencies. Its emergencies/fast heals which eats healer mana, not normal "rotation".
    25man probably requires more spirit as you will use PoH more than in 10s, also if you use your cds properly/have the occasional potion of focus & use your lmg 13k spirit is overkill imo, I used to run 12k spirit in 5.2 but basically sat on 70%+ mana at the end of most fights. Atm running 9.7ish and will probably still drop as the only fight I could oom on atm is Malkorok due to PoH spam since atonement is wank there.

I'm running 10man and currently 4/14hc (not the greatest I know). Any 25man players can correct me if I'm wrong.

I'd never go over 9k spirit as it is atm in 10m, on some fights I feel like I could easily drop down to 6-7k. I'm using darkglow embroidery whenever I need more mana as it's cheaper to re-enchant the cloak than to reforge or regem.

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc12 View Post
    I am at 15% of my healing from PWS and 120-150k HPS on Hc spoils tries so far and mana is at 50% when the first room ends.
    Looking at logs pw:s was 20% of my healing done last week on heroic spoils. It is useful on the mogu side between each aoe when spirit shell is not up, but with 10k spirit I am basically oom after two mogu boxes are opened and completed. I then usually just mana hymn and smite spam/90 talent the mantid side, while only pw:s'ing people who are going to the other room to drop bombs.

I track LMG procs, but I don't feel the need to only cast pw:s when it is up. It seems like 25 man may be a little more forgiving however since we have several mana cool downs available at any given time (1-2 mana tide and 2-4 mana hymns).

On 10 man I did fine with 7.2k until I reached Malkorok, where Atonement fails pretty hard and I was just a little short with heavy PoH spam. I got 9k and it felt pretty comfortable there, and decided to just stick with that (though I think I could have dropped back to 7k for the fights after that).

Deleted
    in 25man, i personally run with 10.5k spirit with 2 x throughput trinkets (we have a resto shaman for mana tide) i feel i could drop some spirit but i prefer to have a little extra breathing space.

currently i have reforged all spirit from my gear, to drop lower i would need dps gear

10+ Year Old Account
    I roll with 13k spirit with a resto sham and I blow whatever I want whenever I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Exoticheals View Post
    I roll with 13k spirit with a resto sham and I blow whatever I want whenever I want.
    Oh my dirty little mind...
    "Auto-correct is my worst enema."

10+ Year Old Account
    I was thinking the same thing as I typed it out lol.

You don't really need mana as a resource for disc. Disc runs better on the grief and anger of healers that still look at HPS logs as a definitive performance measure.

Quote Originally Posted by Dierdre View Post
    You don't really need mana as a resource for disc. Disc runs better on the grief and anger of healers that still look at HPS logs as a definitive performance measure.
    This. /10chars

Quote Originally Posted by Nightstorm View Post
    Are you running a traditional healing build or an atonement heavy build?

Also, is that total spirit number taking into account Proc spirit from trinkets, cloak enchant, etc? It's one reason I really like Ask Mr Robot . . . you can set it to give you a total amount of spirit and take into account the value of the procs.

I run an atonement heavy crit build myself, and save PW:S for rapture or meta gem procs (Halo is first priority with meta gem procs). I will often throw out a PoH if Inner Focus is up and there's incoming damage (so much AoE damage in SoO it's tough to overheal with IF available). Also, PoH with the Legendary Cloak Proc is pretty awesome.

I'm sitting at 15,000 TOTAL spirit (~8k from gear directly, ~7k proc spirit which includes meta gem). I'm also using mindbender as I find it smoothes out my mana return when I have to go into a traditional healing mode (heavy damage phases) or put up spirit shell. It's also great for burst damage as well.

I've tried dropping below this amount, but I find what I lose is the flexibility to go into that more traditional healer role. My raid would prefer that I have that "on demand", so I'm a bit stuck there.

If I just decided I was never going to cast a PoH other than to put up spirit shell, I'd probably dip down to 12K total.
    Last edited by jason1975; 2013-10-23 at 08:57 PM.
    "I don't always play my warlock, but when I do, I prefer destruction."
    - The Most Interesting Player in the World . . . of Warcraft