Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Lightbulb What if they made the Burning Legion a 3rd main faction?

This seems like it could be plausible, I'm really just shooting in the dark here. I think it would give an interesting twist to the game and no doubt we would see many people re-rolling to this option if blizzard offered some sort of serious catch up mechanic or a way to change from your alliance or horde side to the legions side.

Any thoughts?

They really couldn't because the Legion is the "big bad" of the universe. Having them be a third main faction would basically lead to a leveling system with virtually no NPCs if it took place on Azeroth.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

10+ Year Old Account
    Well orcs/the horde used to be the big bad as well, things change.
    also just because the horde went from being 'villain' to the 'anti-hero' faction doesn't mean the game couldn't have a real good and proper villainous faction.

what races would you propose? if it were just legion it would be rather monotonous to have 6 demon races, especially since many demons are not even humanoid.

but you could have an Alliance of Azerothian villains, not a Legion faction per se:
    e.g. a faction of Satyrs, Naga, Centaurs, Mogu, Aqir/Mantid and Harpies.

When someone asks you if you're a god, YOU SAY 'YES'!

10+ Year Old Account
    I would love a 3rd faction however there are way too many lose strings that would need to be considered in order to add them...like what about achievements how would a 3rd faction get 50+ exalted reps? would they need to revamp the world or great a separate world for the 3rd faction? would they start of at 90 and come into contact with the horde/alliance straight away in the next expansion etc...

I can see a way to do it.... have the requirement to roll a 3rd faction character as level 90 and the character starts off as 85 or something similar to how dks start off high level they do a starter zone which explaisn their story and elvels them up to 90 and then they are ready for the new continent which is designed around having 3 factions..it doesn't really matter about achievments/mounts from the past as people needed to be level 90 on a horde/ally to roll the 3rd faction and they don't need to visit the old world in the same way as level 90's don't really need to visit anywhere except pandaria/ the new content so it doesn't matter if they arn't represented in azeroth....

I really do think it would spice things up especially considering the alliance/ horde are starting to head towards the bff type of relationship like we had at the wrathgate again... Also another question is what faction is large enough to challenge the horde/ alliance the only ones that meet those requirements are naga, demons,old gods, titans and scourge.
    Last edited by Frozenbeef; 2013-10-22 at 07:53 PM.

A third faction would never work without completely redesigning all old content. It'd be way too much work.

Deleted
    Wouldn't work, the BL are the bad guys, at some point, based on who won, either the BL or the Ally/Horde would cease to exist.
    It would be a factional addition that was, either temporary, or took the other two out completely.

Wow 2: The Alliance of Mortal Races versus The Burning Legion is the only way I would ever see The Burning Legion viable as a faction.
    So no more Horde or Alliance.

10+ Year Old Account
    No.

Why would the burning legion become a faction? Can you imagine them questing in neutral zones, picking apples and collecting bear butts?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    No.

Why would the burning legion become a faction? Can you imagine them questing in neutral zones, picking apples and collecting bear butts?
    Player: "I have collected the bear butts as you have requested my Lord!"
    Lord Demonname takes the bear butts.
    Lord Demonname:"Excellent Hero, these certainly look like a fine sample of rumps that will be used in our incantation to open some Dark Portal or another. Now go collect 10 piles of human flesh so that I may feast on them alongside the Fel apple blood I just freshly squeezed from the apples you brought me so that I may celebrate our master's plan that shall so obviously come to fruition!"
    In the far distance a war cry of Vers and Keks can be heard...

OT: As interesting as it would be to play a demon no matter what race, I really don't think that would be happening with the Burning Legion being portrayed as the big bad all the time. I mean if they did do it they would have to make the players sympathise with their cause so that they don't just think they are playing in a faction of evil dicks who want to put everything to the fire and sword. Oh and the faction arguments would reach a new level as they begin flying out the window if that happened.

Deleted
    I would facepalm and decide Blizzard gave up

- - - Updated - - -

Besides Demon Warlocks?!

Quote Originally Posted by Grubjuice View Post
    Well orcs/the horde used to be the big bad as well, things change.
    Think a little bit about the lore before you say that. Why were the Horde "the big bad?" Because the Legion was controlling them utterly. They had virtually no self-control once they'd given in to the blood fury.

also just because the horde went from being 'villain' to the 'anti-hero' faction doesn't mean the game couldn't have a real good and proper villainous faction.
    The issue is that this is an MMO and the legion don't exactly make for a good "hang around and do stuff for epics" kind of faction. They'd even need separate raids.

what races would you propose? if it were just legion it would be rather monotonous to have 6 demon races, especially since many demons are not even humanoid.
    That's the hardest part. Most of the legion doesn't even have a culture. They're just summoned away at any given time because Blizzard decided to have both worlds "demons are actually aliens" and "demons can be conjured from their plane of existence into ours."

Essentially we'd be playing Eredar and the assorted Engineering types.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWindWalker View Post
    They really couldn't because the Legion is the "big bad" of the universe. Having them be a third main faction would basically lead to a leveling system with virtually no NPCs if it took place on Azeroth.
    No they aren't the "big bad" the Titans are. The burning legion only want us to join them and fight the titans. The titans want to wipe us out.
    Aye mate

I'd happily reroll shivaran paladin and prepare to face the titan menace coming to reset all of existence to it's perfect mint in the box form.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't see it happening for a multitude of reasons.....but I could dig playing a Pit Lord.

I want to laugh like Mannoroth laughs.

If they make the races of the burning legion begin at lvl 90 so you only need to lvl the new zones then...It could be posible.

While it would be really cool they would have to essentially remake the entire game for it to work.

The Burning Legion is pure evil. Making them a playable faction would require them to make an entire world of them to exist on and every raid / instance would have to be different for them.

And that's just some of what would need to be changed.
    Last edited by nyc81991; 2013-10-22 at 11:33 PM.

I don't really see a situation where Blizzard can constantly have us and the Burning Legion having the same goals (doing the same dungeons/raids and helping out) without it coming across as incredibly forced.

We don't need more characters for Blizz to attempt to develop and we certainly don't need another faction that "can't lose" due to player QQ

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWindWalker View Post
    They could treat it like DKs where you have to reach X level to even create a toon of that faction. I think it would be cool if they were a 3rd faction.
    <Semi Retired> - Recruiting for 9.2!

Succubi would be the new Blood Elves
    It would be dark inside my head...if not for the fires...

Deleted
    would make absolutely no sense lore wise