Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Is there room for Political like system within WoW?

Is there room for a Political like system within WoW. Some examples may be Horde/Alliance political systems which would affect game world.

Game of Thrones scenario among guilds on each side / Some sort of internal power struggle that begins each expansion

Various way to do it but not sure if it would work within wow
    Last edited by Grogo; 2013-10-22 at 09:21 PM.

I don't think so, but I've always been intrigued by the concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulgrim View Post
    I don't think so, but I've always been intrigued by the concept.
    likewise. although the few games i've played with anything approaching this have fallen prey to the human element.

ie... they game the system by either

A) dogpiling into the dominant faction (i dont know why mmo's dont bother with some form of diminishing returns and/or repeatedly 'lock' people into the faction they chose when first starting the game clueless)

or

B) creating characters in every faction along with their friends and 'rigging the vote' or struggle.

I've sometimes thought server governance (at least, on a given faction's side) could be an excellent source of gameplay elements.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

10+ Year Old Account
    You mean like Wintergrasp / Tol Barad?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada,we've got freedom too, except we don't pretend to be american when we travel.
    I play games to escape this bullshit, yet I still have to hear it in trade back and forth over obamacare and such.
    To be quite frank the only things that come to mind when I think of political systems in wow are that the already foamy mouthed delusionists who believe in a red vs blue hatred should carry over to forums and IRL (if you can imagine I have heard shit), might end up killing each other IRL.
    That and a massive drop in subs b/c lets face it, last time I checked, politics did not = fun for most gamers, and the majority of people don't want to game with a fucking fanatic.
    And to be all political and angsty about pixels (like you KNOW they will get), is way, WAY beyond what most people would call enjoyable to be around.

besides we already have all that in a limited fashion, Jiana split off, Garrosh spit off from his faction's ways, and a political uprising and a troll now reps the horde, wtf is that if not political?
    To take it any farther would be stupid.

tldr: worst fucking idea I've heard in my life. Sorry. But it is.
    Last edited by Bigbamboozal; 2013-10-22 at 10:29 PM.
    "There are other sites on the internet designed for people to make friends or relationships. This isn't one" Darsithis Super Moderator
    Proof that the mmochamp community can be a bitter and lonely place. What a shame.

Deleted
    The Alliance and the Horde kind of are political systems themselves, both with some internal struggles as well. Alliance is for conservatives, Horde for "rebels without a clue", hippies and totalitarists.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada,we've got freedom too, except we don't pretend to be american when we travel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gahmuret View Post
    The Alliance and the Horde kind of are political systems themselves, both with some internal struggles as well. Alliance is for conservatives, Horde for "rebels without a clue", hippies and totalitarists.
    mmmm no. That's like saying the Americans are conservatives and the North Koreans are liberals. You need to start paying attention in class more, b/c your understanding of the left and right are not so hot bro. The left and the right refer to to sides of the same faction.
    "There are other sites on the internet designed for people to make friends or relationships. This isn't one" Darsithis Super Moderator
    Proof that the mmochamp community can be a bitter and lonely place. What a shame.

See Eve Online if you want player made politics on a sandbox.

I think it intrigues many people, what would be a great to implement? Ideas?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    I play games to escape this bullshit, yet I still have to hear it in trade back and forth over obamacare and such.
    To be quite frank the only things that come to mind when I think of political systems in wow are that the already foamy mouthed delusionists who believe in a red vs blue hatred should carry over to forums and IRL (if you can imagine I have heard shit), might end up killing each other IRL.
    That and a massive drop in subs b/c lets face it, last time I checked, politics did not = fun for most gamers, and the majority of people don't want to game with a fucking fanatic.
    And to be all political and angsty about pixels (like you KNOW they will get), is way, WAY beyond what most people would call enjoyable to be around.

besides we already have all that in a limited fashion, Jiana split off, Garrosh spit off from his faction's ways, and a political uprising and a troll now reps the horde, wtf is that if not political?
    To take it any farther would be stupid.

tldr: worst fucking idea I've heard in my life. Sorry. But it is.

The worst idea of your life? Jesus, talk about overly dramatic.

10+ Year Old Account
    I always liked the idea of letting players or guilds run for governance of X town or outpost. Pointless fluff, maybe, but it wouldn't be gamebreaking.

Guild Wars: Factions did it fairly well. The guild in "control" of the outpost in question had access to a VIP section and their own wares, and controlling an important town like Cavalon/House Zu-something was a gold mine and gave your guild/alliance a lot of prestige. It fueled a LOT of rivalries with competing guilds though.

There exists quite a bit of politics happening within Iron Forge, actually. There's been a world war for over a decade now so it's a bit hard to have an actual "I want to vote for things" kind of mentality.

Quote Originally Posted by Gahmuret View Post
    Hate to break it to you but "rebels without a clue" and "totalitarists" both vote conservative.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

Isn't The Elder Scrolls Online MMO doing something like this? Player run factions and the struggle for server dominance? It sounds cool and I am a big fan of internal political betrayal in games/tv series. I think that may be a bit to adult for a lot of the younger players.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stylez View Post
    Isn't The Elder Scrolls Online MMO doing something like this? Player run factions and the struggle for server dominance? It sounds cool and I am a big fan of internal political betrayal in games/tv series. I think that may be a bit to adult for a lot of the younger players.
    Faction imbalance would make any sort of "faction struggle" a largely moot point.

And any sort of election? I could see the candidates already....

1. ololololololololo
    2. Swifty
    3. Server's Top guild's leader.
    4. Server's Top guild's leader's hot girlfriend's level 63 draenei mage
    5. Saurfang and Hogger
    6. The guy that said he'd give you 20 gold if you voted for him
    7. swaggryolo
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2013-10-23 at 02:46 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    I alpha and closed beta tested Vanguard, through every step of their diplomacy skill. I really enjoyed the concept and was greatly discouraged to find poor management and lack of community managers pushing public opinion to Sigil ruined it's development into a true game worthy/useful system.

Stories felt more alive and purposeful as an ambassador, than they did as a level/gear grinder. And for a short while before one of the final beta weeks, the two played off each other harmoniously.
    Last edited by Steampunk; 2013-10-23 at 03:13 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Basmothel
    Lacking ammo, the forum troll darts into the realm of personal insults and doomsaying; the most primitive means of gaining attention from its peers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyadore View Post
    You know something, none of us ruined the game. We make it better. And so do most of you.

EvE online. Political systems are too complex for casuals (i.e. most of the wow players).

TERA did something like this and it failed horribly. It's open to exploitation and trolling.

Mostly trolling.

Stop trying to say that GoT is the best thing that ever happened, because it isn't. It's far, far from the best.

Nevertheless, the only thing I could think of is EVE Online, but EVE is of completely different nature than WoW so it'd be next to impossible to implement a system like that.

TERA Online does the political system pretty well. It involves PvP (I think), and only one character per account can vote.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaelsino View Post
    I always liked the idea of letting players or guilds run for governance of X town or outpost. Pointless fluff, maybe, but it wouldn't be gamebreaking.

Guild Wars: Factions did it fairly well. The guild in "control" of the outpost in question had access to a VIP section and their own wares, and controlling an important town like Cavalon/House Zu-something was a gold mine and gave your guild/alliance a lot of prestige. It fueled a LOT of rivalries with competing guilds though.
    Nagrand did something similar here with the Horde and Alliance only.

If this ended up in game though, it'd be something like... here's five rep factions. Players help a rep faction take control. While that faction is in control, quests X, Y, Z are available and you can buy A, B, C. Another faction takes over, you can do quests U, W, X and buy C, D, E.