Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Diablo 2 is still going and that's not even an MMO...
    define still going?
    Pong is still going... My atari is still going. counterstrike is still going.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nooty View Post
    Every here sub's dropping by 1.5 Million .

I say in next 5-6 years wow should be dead .
    It will bottom out, it doesnt just decline to 0. It will have thousands of loyal fans that stick around.. See: Everquest.
    Last edited by Trakanonn; 2013-10-23 at 05:23 AM.
    Free-To-Play is the future.

10+ Year Old Account
    Diablo 2 is still going and that's not even an MMO...
    Well just, the thing thats keeping it going are bots and D2jsp
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicGuitars View Post
    WoW will not end until Blizzard either makes another game as it's successor, which is seeming increasingly unlikely with the Titan project fading away and the Titan team returning to work on World of Warcraft, or if the game stops being profitable.

To say they'd halt their main money-making machine because of an arbitrary level milestone like 'level 100' is absurd.
    If they made a WoW2, it'd likely not take the numbers away from WoW that you'd expect, unless the characters, account, and fees all carried over (Which'd never happen, and would be pointless anyways). Getting people to move on from one MMO to another is hard, because people become too invested.

Likewise, an entirely new IP isn't going to do that either. People aren't invested into Blizzard, they're invested into WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Trakanonn View Post
    define still going?
    Server is still up, if you want to play it you can.

Quote Originally Posted by starkey View Post
    Well just, the thing thats keeping it going are bots and D2jsp
    Pssh, important thing is if I want to play D2 I can install it and log on. Doesn't matter how many other people there are.

And D2 has a non-online LAN mode so Blizzard doesn't even NEED to keep it running.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Server is still up, if you want to play it you can.

Pssh, important thing is if I want to play D2 I can install it and log on. Doesn't matter how many other people there are.

And D2 has a non-online LAN mode so Blizzard doesn't even NEED to keep it running.
    Read this: http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/13/a...ivendi-buyout/ over 8 billion dollars worth of shares, 5.8 which was financed through loans. If you sitt down and calculate what per annual interest cost is + the downpayment, you will quickly understand WoW's decline can't continue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orcindauh View Post
    Gonna be a good long while before WoW ends unless next xpac they do something incredibly stupid.
    It happened with EQ1, right before WoW hit. Sure the game's still around... but it's a wasteland compared to how it used to be.

WoW will eventually dwindle down to a paltry amount of nostalgia driven fans and new MMO'ers. I just don't see that happening any time remotely soon. Bringing the titan devs back shows us Blizz is at least "a lil worried".
    Quote Originally Posted by Basmothel
    Lacking ammo, the forum troll darts into the realm of personal insults and doomsaying; the most primitive means of gaining attention from its peers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyadore View Post
    You know something, none of us ruined the game. We make it better. And so do most of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Otiswhitaker View Post
    If they made a WoW2, it'd likely not take the numbers away from WoW that you'd expect, unless the characters, account, and fees all carried over (Which'd never happen, and would be pointless anyways). Getting people to move on from one MMO to another is hard, because people become too invested.

Likewise, an entirely new IP isn't going to do that either. People aren't invested into Blizzard, they're invested into WoW.
    Many would just play both at once and eventually as they saw development on WoW slow down and players decline, they'd be able to let go of WoW.

OFC WoW will die... everything does. you me everyone and everything. Or you think when the world goes boom WoW will cont running ?

Quote Originally Posted by nooty View Post
    Every here sub's dropping by 1.5 Million .

I say in next 5-6 years wow should be dead .
    It won't happen linearly. That's completely fallacious. You have to factor in how attached specific groups of people are to the game. The people who aren't that attached will leave quickly (which we are seeing) but there's people who play the game who are more attached. They'll leave at a much slower rate. So the sub loss will happen quickly at first and then almost plateau, with a very slow death by attrition afterwards.

That's baring blizzard making really stupid decisions, like more "beating-around-the-bush" xpacs, completely ignoring plot elements that people have been screaming to see in the game for years. Like if the time travel rumours are true, and the new continent is: Pre-Cataclysm-Northern-Kalimdor.

Nothing is immortal, including Wow. That doesn't mean it could not come back as something even greater.

Starcraft and SC: Brood Wars was a nearly immortal game with a great storyline just as epic as Warcraft 3. They out did themselves with Starcraft 2 and there is stil more to come. I'm sure that even after the final expansion of Starcraft 2 there is another race just as deadly as the Scourge out there waiting in the abyss. My secret hope is that Blizzard comes up with a Borg NanoMachine Machine Race in the future.

Blizzard has had the Warcraft franchise since the Early 90s, close to 20 years. They can come up with something new.

I'm not particularly fond of the concept that people stop playing games because they are old. I still play games like Baldur's Gate and Diablo 2 on occasion. The only reason I stop playing a game is if it isn't fun. Well when I have to pay to play it, it comes down to value vs. cost, if I'm having a lot of fun that is a lot of value, if I'm not it's hard to justify the cost.

WoW will eventually shut down when it is no longer profitable enough to maintain, but we don't really know when that will be. One thing is for certain though is that if we continue to lose subs at the rate of 2 million per year that it will be sooner rather than later.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    It won't happen linearly. That's completely fallacious. You have to factor in how attached specific groups of people are to the game. The people who aren't that attached will leave quickly (which we are seeing) but there's people who play the game who are more attached. They'll leave at a much slower rate. So the sub loss will happen quickly at first and then almost plateau, with a very slow death by attrition afterwards.

That's baring blizzard making really stupid decisions, like more "beating-around-the-bush" xpacs, completely ignoring plot elements that people have been screaming to see in the game for years. Like if the time travel rumours are true, and the new continent is: Pre-Cataclysm-Northern-Kalimdor.
    Well that's not really linear at the current rate we are looking at 3-4 years. But that doesn't factor in surges for new expacks. But I agree it likely won't be linear, the big question is when will it start to flatten out. The next expack will be very important to the future of WoW, and I hope they manage to slow down the decline.

Deleted
    I agree with you on the "World Of Warcraft will End At Level 100!"- part. Lvl 100 to me feels something like it's ending but it doesn't mean the game won't have any new additions. It could be it could be not. Who knows. Just enjoy it as long as it's there.

Deleted
    Everything ends.

-WoW will finally be too old comparing to other games and improving graphics and engine wont help
    -It will be difficult to add new classes because balance and they are already too homogenic(so 2-3 new classes is max imo)
    -It will be hard to add new races with interesting lore and develop it(they already have huge problems with caring of every race)
    -There isnt much new content to be added.maybe some underwater+some islands or underground but what else? Another Pandaria? Another Outland? New Zones in Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms?

ofc WoW servers after that wont be just shut down. There wont be just new expansions, servers will be fused and then when profits from subs will be lower than costs of servers WoW will shut down.

but there will be Titan WC4, WoW2 so WoW will be played only because of nostalgia

blizzard already stated that 100 is just a number (duh) and obviously wow will keep going as long as it's making money (duh). when they run out of bad guys then can (ok, now buckle up cause this is heavy) make up new ones! (duh)

that's all there is to it. no essays necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Seegtease View Post
    Many would just play both at once and eventually as they saw development on WoW slow down and players decline, they'd be able to let go of WoW.
    I'd be willing to bet money more would just quit MMOs all together, rather than "start over".

i thought the next expansion would be a 15 level job, taking it over 100 to 105, simply because of the bizarre talent system its ended up with. every expansion so far has added another tier of talents so it only seems likely that the next one will aswell.

it will eventually die out but i think it will last longer than other mmos, even with 1 mil players its enough to keep it running they'd just have to consolidate, but all in all there is only so much you can do before it becomes too much, especially ability wise. they'll just run out of notable characters eventually. I'm quite interested in seeing what happens with the number crunches and even what happens when they decide that level progression has reached critical mass, at that point what could players expect to find, contiguous set tiers perhaps? or some type of side levelling system similar to rift. all i know is that the numbers are getting quite out of hand already so it will be interesting to see what they do about keeping it fresh and engaging.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2013-10-23 at 09:07 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainV View Post
    Story aside though, this also gives opportunity for new, harder and more forced progression to raiding content that might finally make those hardcore idiots shut up once and for all about exclusivity. Having future expansions after level 100 that focus entirely on developing hardcore only raiding content might encourage hardcore raid guilds to return and bring back competition for raiders.
    So you're not a harcore raider since you insult them, but you want future content to be only about hardcore raiding ?
    I fail to see the logic in that...
    If I recall correctly, hardcore raiding, even if it's a necessary level, is far from being the majority of players.
    If they stop doing open content for everyone, then the game will really stop.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainV View Post
    Azshara, Kil'Jaeden, Sargeras whose next, the Titans? Blizzard is running out of bad guys!

I heartily agree on this point, which is why one thing that troubles me is that while WoW will never die it may run out of "themes" that haven't been left in the back lore to bring into the forefront. This is where WoW may unfortunately begin to decline after those themes have been explored, and I fear it may be what ultimately causes the game to stagnate.
    Azshara and Sargeras haven't even made a real apparition in game, Kil Jaeden is not dead, he was just pushed back in the twisted nether. If you look into the previous expansions, everytime we destroyed a great villain there was a promise for a new threat :

- We killed (for now) C'thun and Yog Saron, but they're old gods, they can return anytime.
    - Kil Jaeden was pushed back into the abyss (copyright Metzen), but he's eager to come back, so does Mal Ganis, so does Sargeras...
    - The Lich King was vanquished, but a new Lich King has risen and we don't really know his mindset.
    - Deathwing has been destroyed, but his legacy, Wrathion, has a villain potential very high.
    - The Zandalari are not totally defeated since the prophet Zul is still nowhere to be found.
    - Nagas ? They still got a huge city underwater and one of the most powerful mage of all time as their queen.
    - Elemental lords ? Neptulon and Therazane are still there, and they are NOT our allies !
    - And Garrosh ? He's not some guy from a previous Warcraft, he's a guy that was created in WoW, that grew up in 4 expansions to be the end boss of Mists !

The only thing that could stop the story of WoW to progress is if they do the great figures left without opening the story after, but we've seen in previous expansion they're good at creating new with old.

10+ Year Old Account
    'We as teenagers'?

Not everyone was a teenager when they started playing WoW. I, for example, was 35, having played all of the RTS games when they were out back in 90's. The majority of players I have kept around me over the years since I started have all been 25-50. Personally I thinks makes thinhs more stable as you haveless growing up to do and are less likely to 'grow out' of the game.

I think players also seem to forget that 'The Lore' is written by Blizzard. As joeyray mentioned above, they could decide to just create a brand new bad guy or threat overnnight if it suited the direction of the game. Lore doesn't have to all happen or have happened in the past: as WoW evolves, we write tomorrow's Lore every time we play. If Blizz choose to do so, they could just keep going, creating new environments and their inhabitants for as long as they have a creative urge to do so and as long as it is commercially viable for them to do so. When they create something utterly new, it will be up to us to decide if it holds our attention.
    I don't know the recipe for success, but I know that the recipe for failure is trying to please everyone.

Forum stupidity at its finest:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    Just because a word is in the dictionary doesn't mean it's true IRL.
    Allatar - EU Aszune | Allatar - D3 Career

Everquest is still going and getting new xpacs, I see no reason why WoW won't even if Blizz eventually manage to get another MMO out.
    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom

Deleted
    Wow will never end for one reason... its too big and has too many fans.

Even if Blizzard close the servers another company will buy the rights and keep the servers running, at the very worst fans would launch their own servers to run the game.

Not sure why someone needed to put together such a longwinded critique on this tbh.