Page 1 of 16
... LastLast

What's the next biggest MMO and how close is it really to WOW?

warhammer? GW2? Elder Scrolls? Marvel? Lotro? EQ 2? FFXIV ? or some others I haven't mentioned. are they anywhere close to wow, are they having some serious development you reckon could threaten wow or at least seriously eat into their subscribe game? enough to lure players from wow?

what's out there and how good is it really?

- - - Updated - - -

forgot Terra, Aion and Rift, not to mention AoC

- - - Updated - - -

oh and SwToR

WoW is really the only MMO I play. I've tried out a lot of f2p ones but always came back to WoW. I'm a big gamer but without WoW, I probably wouldn't even play MMO's.

RIFT is fairly close; it was meant to be a WoW clone (its tagline was even "You're not in Azeroth anymore") and plays like WoW with better graphics and IMO slightly better style (I used to joke that RIFT was WoW if WoW had come out in 2011 not 2004); It's come out into its own though and its PVE content is pretty good, one of the best PVE/raid oriented games out there. I can't speak to the others as they are all similar to WoW, but I know that Wildstar is coming out next year and aims to be a more modern and sleek WoW from what I've read (I think many of their devs used to be Blizzard employees, not 100% sure).

Rift or GW2 are probably the 2 biggest, and maybe Aion. Rift is closest to WoW in terms of gameplay, mechanics, etc. Another one to look out for coming soon is Wildstar.

Deleted
    Think it is GW2, solid and still growing, it's a bit PvP heavy (it lacks/lacked some PvE content to satisfy me at least) but people that like that gets a seriously good experience

It certainly isn't Warhammer Online -- that game will be shutting down completely in December.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Deleted
    Elder Scrolls Online looks amazing, can't say how it works exactly but it'll come out this spring. Looking forward.
    PS: it has a different style from wow, it's fantasy is pretty gothic style and I love that kind of old ambient.

Think Guild Wars 2 comes the closest, really enjoying that game far more then WoW :P

I don't think any MMO will fare favorably to WoW. WoW has ~10 years of polish and any game in comparison will look bad.

I actually liked SWTOR, but the endgame(at least at launch)was terrible.

ES from all I've heard/read is going to be really bad, but I may give it a shot.

Maybe Neverwinter should also be mentioned in the OP's post.

LineageII was the game i played before WoW and was very hardcore to level up.
    In that same line i enjoyed Aion (good game but not very rewarding) and Tera (closest thing between asian mmo style mixed with WoW influences and did the active combat system first and possibly best)

Wildstar lost all his credits in EU for now..
    Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm".
    And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."
    Noctus <Darkblade>

10+ Year Old Account
    Rift is very similar, too similar. It offers TBC style bloated talent trees and rep grinding, the raids are good. The universe I find very unengaging and bland, which is what got me out of it quickly again.

Guild Wars 2 is a totally different game. It plays differently, feels differently, looks differently. And it caters to a different audience. You will not find the kind of raid experience you like from WoW there. PVPers might prefer it tho.

AoC is a nice game by itself, if you like the universe and the pretty unique melee combat style you'll enjoy it. Quite a lot of bugs still tho, the same goes for The Secret World. TSW probably has the best single player content out there, amazing atmosphere, decent graphics, nice storylines. Sadly it falls on it's face at max level, and the content isn't nice to repeat.

Lotro and SWTOR finally have some of the best WoW-style universes to explore. Lotro is amazing if you like Lord of the Rings, and it has some very well designed and fun WoW-style classes. SWTOR has the Bioware top notch quality production and leveling experience, yet similar to TSW and Lotro it sort of fails at max level. There are raids and decent dungeons, but the motivation to continue on quickly dwindles.

SwToR is bigger than both GW2 and Rft, higher number of active players, higher microtransaction sales, higher number of subscribers too, and a bigger fan base than both combined

Quote Originally Posted by miffy23 View Post
    Rift is very similar, too similar. It offers TBC style bloated talent trees and rep grinding, the raids are good. The universe I find very unengaging and bland, which is what got me out of it quickly again.
    Rift also had something I found in SWTOR and (especially) FF14: serious client performance problems. One of WoW's big advantages is that the client runs very smoothly, even on somewhat older hardware.

Blizzard's competitors consistently underestimate the importance of the "feel" of the client for the game experience, and I think it bites them very hard.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Deleted
    I don't see a "classic" mmo really eat wow's marketshare, just from its rich and well established lore / fanbase / community, though I'd be more enclined to think that things like Eve / Star Citizen (mmos, but not wow-likes) may get more proeminent in the future ...

But meh, that's my two cents.

10+ Year Old Account
    To be very honest, whenever I play an MMO, all I see is another version of WoW. They always make the moving less stiff & your hips spread more it seems, but everything else is very similar... Spells can be unique, cities can be unique, quests can be unique, but to me all MMOs are WoW(not literally), simply because I've played it for so long.

now that SWTOR has developed a new fully fledged space combat game, with the view to expanding it into space zone mmo branch.. they'd probably get bigger

imo, they're being a bit silly with it. They'd have made a lot more money selling it as a separate game you can purchase in addition to SwToR - both games run together on the same server. one is a land based mmorpg, the other is a space based one = youg et a 2013 version of Eve and a 2011 sci-fi version of wow improved.

Quote Originally Posted by Noctus78 View Post
    Wildstar lost all his credits in EU for now..
    What did Wildstar do in EU that is bad? I have not been following it that closely.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    warhammer? GW2? Elder Scrolls? Marvel? Lotro? EQ 2? FFXIV ? or some others I haven't mentioned. are they anywhere close to wow, are they having some serious development you reckon could threaten wow or at least seriously eat into their subscribe game? enough to lure players from wow?

what's out there and how good is it really?

- - - Updated - - -

forgot Terra, Aion and Rift, not to mention AoC

- - - Updated - - -

oh and SwToR
    Eternal Crusade is coming out in 2015 that'll be great, a true Warhammer 40K MMORPG, can't wait to get my WAAAAAAAAAAAAGH on.
    It won't topple WoW, obviously, only WoW can topple WoW at this point, but it'll be damned fun and get it's own nice, dedicated, sizeable player-base.
    Elder Scrolls Online will also be great, but, again, not close to WoW, but it'll have it's own Playerbase.
    Though I'm very, VERY excited for the fact that the players themselves can take on the mantle of the Emperor in Elder Scrolls Online, just thinking about how they'll make that work is interesting, possible civil wars, internal wars for the throne, other factions assaulting the Throne to take it for their own, it's a very interesting concept with fantastic PvP possibilities.
    Still though, I don't think you can say anything is legitimately close, the next best, whilst still the next best, is probably a fraction of WoW's size really.
    I'd say Rift though.
    Last edited by mmoc840d8f38ef; 2013-10-23 at 04:31 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I heard WildStar is suppose to be really good. It was created by a couple of former Blizz employes.

eh, im not on the hype train for that one, nothing on it has interested me so far, ill be interested in seeing how it does, the mmo market has been dominated unchallenged by WoW for 10years now, about time a game came out that challenged it!

as for the OPs question, maybe GW2 is closest, though its not sub based. im not sure how rift / swtor are doing, they might be ahead of Gw2, but still a long way from WoW

I would say Wildstar is the ONLY contender that is up to snuff. But lets understand one thing, NO GAME will kill wow etc. Wow is steadily loosing subscribers from year to year and it will continue to dwindle every year. There will always be people playing this great game tho