Poll: Optimal organisation of family household economy

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Shared economy or not?

I'm curious how you do, or how you would want to do if you were in a relationship. So this question isn't limited to people in a bed sharing partner relationship, aka cohabiting or married couples, but also single people. How do you organize the household economy? Or how would you want to organize the household economy if you had a girlfriend/boyfriend/wife/husband?

Some people have completely shared family economy, where all the money goes into a joint account and everything is paid jointly. Purchase decisions is mostly made jointly etc.

At the other end we find completely separated finances, where you only pay your half of the common household expenses and use the rest of one's earned money as one feels like.

Inbetween these two there are variations. For example, to divide up the money proportionally to income once everything in common is paid. Or to share 50-50, or any other distribution.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Deleted
    Would never agree to a shared economy or even bank account.
    Everybody has their income at free disposal, besides the common household expenses which get paid 50:50.
    Last edited by mmocc02219cc8b; 2013-10-23 at 05:22 PM.

Deleted
    If hes worse off than me or were not married, no, I wouldn't want that.. but then again I have trust issues:P

If were married and hes got a bigger income, I wouldn't have a problem with it though. There's nothing to lose in that case, even if he turns out to be dishonest, cheats or we want to get divorced.

I would never do a joint account.

I would just have a discussion about who pays for what and how much (preferably based on how we use it... for example, I might pay all of the internet bill and my partner pays all of the cell phone bill). If the household only has a single income earner, the discussion would instead be about how much money the other person can use, revisited as necessary when expenses arise.

just my opinion.

Edit: I would also accept a middle ground, where we have a joint account and we agree how much each of us put in each month/week. That would only be for bills, or as a reserve for an emergency. Otherwise, separate accounts.
    Last edited by belfpala; 2013-10-23 at 05:27 PM.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

We have separate accounts, and I pay mortgage, housing insurance, energy, and cable, while she pays for groceries for the family and the water bill - aside from our own personal expenses such as our car insurance and phone bills, and then we put money into a joint savings account. I have other investments in my name, but those are far from liquid, and although my name is on them we both know it's ours.

We really don't go and spend money without consulting each other - I would say anything more than $50 and we are both talking about it and figuring it into our overall savings.

I also wanted to add that I do most of the investments and such because she knows I'm better with finances than she is, and she trusts me to get the best return. Again, we do talk about it however, such as what the money is eventually going to be used toward.
    Last edited by The Casualty; 2013-10-23 at 05:31 PM.

We split things like utilities, mortgage, vacation or trip funds, food costs. All else is separate. She has her money, and I have mine.

A LOT of stress is avoided by doing things this way.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Serperate incomes, SAME goals.

Everything is "our" money in our relationship. We have separate bank accounts but all our money goes into "hers". We are paying off the debit on mine so we can use it for buying things like plane tickets. We try to make sure each has access to entertainment money or money for hobbies when budgeting together.

Deleted
    Fully shared is the way I want it to be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Never get a joint account. She can't suck your dick THAT good.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

10+ Year Old Account
    We have a fully shared account. I keep a close eye on it though

Deleted
    Relationships vary, and as such i can't predict an exact situation...

I'd have my private account, as would she - But i'd opt for a third account, where we each pay into it for whatever - rent, bills, trips out, a general account i guess.

Personally i wouldn't oppose a shared account, but that level of commitment is pretty deep - so i'd wait until taking that step.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SourceOfInfection View Post
    Never get a joint account. She can't suck your dick THAT good.
    Sheitttttt

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
    If hes worse off than me or were not married, no, I wouldn't want that.. but then again I have trust issues:P

If were married and hes got a bigger income, I wouldn't have a problem with it though. There's nothing to lose in that case, even if he turns out to be dishonest, cheats or we want to get divorced.
    So you'd want to take advantage of a persons love to suit your personal greed? And you'd staunchly oppose anything other than that...

I think i know what you are, and it begins with a G.

Deleted
    Fully shared...After bills me and the missus take it in turns monthly to get something nice (like mine is AC4 this month last month it was her and she bought clothes) any food treats are shared and budgeted into the food shop.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Great human being? Did I get it right?
    Haha, something like that... Yeah...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    So you'd want to take advantage of a persons love to suit your personal greed? And you'd staunchly oppose anything other than that...

I think i know what you are, and it begins with a G.
    How is not trusting him with money taking advantage of him? It's just that if hes making more than me, theres no need for trust, hes got more to lose than me if we put our wealth in one pot.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    Does it really surprise you?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
    How is not trusting him with money taking advantage of him? It's just that if hes making more than me, theres no need for trust, hes got more to lose than me if we put our wealth in one pot.
    If hes worse off than me or were not married, no, I wouldn't want that
    Well, that say's a lot.

If were married and hes got a bigger income, I wouldn't have a problem with it though.
    Surprise surprise

There's nothing to lose in that case, even if he turns out to be dishonest, cheats or we want to get divorced.
    Hah, and you wonder how this isn't taking advantage.

Sad...

Deleted
    One can just hope that she only meets people that share the exact same attitude when it comes to "not trusting people if they earn less", but "having no problem if they earn more".

Also, having a shared bank account is literally asking for troubles.