Poll: Where do you stand?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Do you consider your nation's values and ideals to be in line with your own?

As much respect as I have for the Founding Fathers and the principles our nation was founded on, I often find myself at odds with the current political environment of my nation (the United States). I think it goes without saying that America has largely turned it's back on our founding principles and now only pays them lip service, while secretly corrupting our nation.

How do your ideals hold up to your nation's ideals?

Just curious. What founding principles do you think we've turned our back on?
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    Just curious. What founding principles do you think we've turned our back on?
    Most of our principles, such as states' rights, gun rights, privacy rights, individualism and counter-imperialism.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I believe in freedom of choice, mainly.
    Today there was a discussion on my contries news forum (Denmark), beacause Austrailia had illegalized tanning sallons. (grammar?) - whether or not we should do the same.
    So many people said "Yes same with tobacco and alcohol!!".

I couldnt help myself, and I responded "Yes lets all work out and eat healthy. In the weekend we can play monopoly! - Seriously though, stop banning things. Ban idiotic comments on this forum; because I am losing confidence that the citizens of this contries values, doesnt understand the true meaning of Freedom".
    So no, apparently Im quite alone on the front of "Freedom of choice", and people want to be controlled around here.

Edit: I've tipsy, my spelling is really off. Hope you get the point though. Love love <3.
    I like juice

I guess it depends on the value.

Generally speaking, I think we have kept on track. Our moral values change over time thus does our laws, this is a good thing as it allows for cultural and societal evolution.

Idk if i'm happy at the scope in which the Federal Gov't has grown, I don't think the founding fathers ever intended for the FED gov't to be this big. Although the heart of that issue was settled during the Civil war.

Sometimes I do feel like we are moving to quickly, that our technological progress out paced our ethical progress, just because we can do something doesn't mean we should necessarily.

I guess my biggest gripe is that we as a nation are moving away from the concept of personal accountability, that's kinda scary.
    Last edited by Theinquisition; 2013-10-24 at 01:51 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    As a Canadian, yes I do.

There may be some things I disagree with, but they are ultimately minor and trivial in the grand scheme of things.

Now if I lived in America.... I'd be pretty cheesed.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am strongly opposed to my countries political views. STRONGLY OPPOSED. This is because a new government has taken power. The leader; Tony Abbot, is just fucking awful. He's homophobic, doesn't believe in climate change, talks shit about asylum seekers, misogynist etc...

He's just fucking awful. I can't believe Australia even voted this idiot in.

I think states rights are getting fairly well tramped. Which I don't view as a good thing. other than that, it's within acceptable margin of error.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

Mixed bag. I think I probably line up more with somewhere like Singapore, but I mostly can't complain.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakura Chambers View Post
    Most of our principles, such as states' rights, gun rights, privacy rights, individualism and counter-imperialism.
    When was the US counter-imperialism? We were against us being imperialized, but pretty well in favor of conquering new lands.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anytime someone is allowed to throw a tantrum so loud it shuts down the govt means it is no longer representing us. I've become apathestic.

Quote Originally Posted by Puck View Post
    As a Canadian, yes I do.
    BC is pretty much the best province/state on Earth, in my opinion. That'd be one of the few places I'd actually go out of my way to move to.

Deleted
    I am a liberal with strong right wing leanings, fuck knows where I belong.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakura Chambers View Post
    To be fair, American Imperialism has been alive and well since the inception of this nation, and our founding fathers had quite a hand in annexation of land from the Spanish and from indigenous peoples.

Quote Originally Posted by crackleslap View Post
    I am strongly opposed to my countries political views. STRONGLY OPPOSED. This is because a new government has taken power. The leader; Tony Abbot, is just fucking awful. He's homophobic, doesn't believe in climate change, talks shit about asylum seekers, misogynist etc...

He's just fucking awful. I can't believe Australia even voted this idiot in.
    I'm just curious, because im Ignorant of Aussie politics, but can you elaborate on his positions on asylum seekers?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Mixed bag. I think I probably line up more with somewhere like Singapore, but I mostly can't complain.

When was the US counter-imperialism? We were against us being imperialized, but pretty well in favor of conquering new lands.
    What exactly have we "conquered"?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    I'm just curious, because im Ignorant of Aussie politics, but can you elaborate on his positions on asylum seekers?

- - - Updated - - -

The Mexican American War for starters was mainly an aggressive move from us that gained the west half of the US.

Also, the supporting of umerous pro US dictators that may not have been in their people's best interests.

and that one doctrine, monroe was it, that stated the Western hemisphere was ours and ours alone to interfere with.

Quote Originally Posted by The Casualty View Post
    To be fair, American Imperialism has been alive and well since the inception of this nation, and our founding fathers had quite a hand in annexation of land from the Spanish and from indigenous peoples.
    Well, so has every other nation in the history of human kind, so IDK why people insist on beating ourselves up for things that no one is left alive to be persecuted for.

Texas, chunks of what used to be Mexico, the Philippines, Puerto Rico, and any land that we stripped from Natives.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    The Mexican American War for starters was mainly an aggressive move from us that gained the west half of the US.

Also, the supporting of umerous pro US dictators that may not have been in their people's best interests.
    Ah the ol manifest destiny.

Your make a valid point my lil vixen, though we are no more guilty of imperialism than any other country in history. In fact i'd say over the last 100 years or so we haven't been nearly as imperial as we could be.

Well, so has every other nation in the history of human kind, so IDK why people insist on beating ourselves up for things that no one is left alive to be persecuted for.
    I didn't say it was a bad thing. Just that we have a pretty strong history of expansionist imperialism, starting basically from day one and peaking in the late 1800s. If anything, we've moved away from imperialism.

(To be clear, this started as a response to Nakura being sad that we've moved away from founding values by moving towards imperialism. He got it almost exactly backwards.)

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Texas, chunks of what used to be Mexico, the Philippines, Puerto Rico, and any land that we stripped from Natives.
    Well idk if the word conquered is necessarily true, but I see the point.