Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Norushen 10 Normal issue/bug?

Hey guys,

I have a question regarding an issue we seemed to have on our guild raid yesterday, and I can't seem to find any topics on the issue, maybe it's working as intended and we are just doing something wrong, but would like to see if anyone else encountered this.

So yesterday we were doing a guild run on SoO, and the first 2 bosses went down really smooth, no issues at all, even felt as easy as Flex, but on Norushen the trouble started. First couple tries were going fine and our warrior tank and me (blood dk) were going in the trial and we came out with no issues, i mostly get out with full health due to the awesomeness of Death Strike. But after a couple wipes we started to get an issue with the trial. Me and the warrior were getting the uninterruptable spell and the cleave a couple times in a row, and started killing us every time, even my cooldowns and death strike couldn't keep me up anymore. Are the spells that the add uses in the trial totally random and is it just a case of bad luck or should it have a fix rotation and did it bug on us?

We retried several times, but every time we had the same thing, we would get the interruptable spell, then the one to move away, and then he kept spamming the cleave and the uninterruptable spell (sorry don't know the names by heart) constantly, leaving almost no time to get some health back. I could survive a little bit longer then our warrior, but same result, we kept on failing.

I've watched multiple movies, read some tips etc, and based on that (and prev experiences in flex/normal) i should be doing what I'm supposed to do.

Did anyone emcounter the same problem? or maybe has some tips for us, because it's becomming very frustrating.
    Last edited by Ifrica; 2013-10-24 at 11:59 AM.

From what I've seen in my 10man sometimes the tank just get killed instantly. It'll be fine for a while, and then he just dies. It's pretty bad, not sure if it's a bug or not though honestly. We'll kill it no problem for like 2 weeks, then wipe 3 times because our tanks get one shot. No idea why.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is pretty weird, we didn't get oneshot though, the warrior dies after taking 3 of the uninterruptable spells in a row. we facerolled flex after, where in flex the smoothly follow up, and we never got the same ability 3 times in a row, though on normal he kept doing the same ability. Our raidleader found it hard to believe that we got that issue, that's why i'm looking for verification that other people envounter the same issue. I'm going to install fraps for next raid, so i can record the issue and show that i'm doing what i'm supposed to do.

That's really strange. When we killed him on Monday, there was everything fine (german server). But I happend to notice something on a few pulls: Sometimes, the add stopped to cast the interuptable spell in the mid of the process without me kicking and started to do the titanic smash. We didn't find out why this happend, I have the theory it has to do something with his spells beeing somewhat bound to his life % or something. It only happend when i blew some dps-cds to kill im faster. Probably there happend some kind of overlapping in his spell cds - maybe every of them beeing reset at specific life % levels. It just happend to me (pala, an no I didnt kick with shield ^^). Our warrior (who has a lot lower ilvl and therefore less dps) didn't encounter this at any time. So maybe... just maybe... your problem could have something to do with the speed you are killing the add.

just use 3 minutes cds if it is that bad, i see no other place for your 3 min cds to be used outside of the test.

Haven't really seen any issues. Myself as a pally the self healing is ok of course but even our warrior tank hasn't had any deaths on that one, even when we were first progressing with it. The only abilities it does that should pose any kind of threat would be the interruptible one and the smash, one you interrupt and the other you move out of. The other abilities are low damage, you can use CD's for those of course if needed (since the damage in the encounter otherwise is relatively lowish)

Lightforged Draenei
    10+ Year Old Account
    With 551 ilvl blood dk I have no problem using army bursting the mob inside in like 40sec.

Deleted
    brewmaster tank here. On our kill I also had 2 interrupts in a row, managed to survive by using a cooldown. I did not see it again in the weeks after.

There is no way to die there, unless you f-up or are severely undergeared.. Only time I die to trials is if I risk too much to get higher vengeance (like intentionally not interrupting to get vengeance boost)..
    The cleave is avoidable - just don't stand in shit.
    Interrupt every Hurl of Corruption (unless you can mitigate it via AMS for example). That's the only ability that can realisticaly kill you..
    For others - build some shields before attack hit (don't just mash DS), and then self heal back up.. If you dip too low IBF... You can Dark Simalacrun Hurl of Corruption btw..
    For warriors they need to shield barrier the Burst of Corruption and Shield Block Piercing corruption. Not sure how they heal back up (i don't main a warrior) but we had 3 different warriors tanking it and none of them had any problems with that phase..

As for the order of his abilities - for me it looked random. Sometimes he starts with Hurl (interruptable), somethimes he starts with Burst or Piercing.. Then he just does whatever he wants.. Just keep moving, nuking and makes sure you have CDs ready.. Don't be afraid to use the 3min CDs there btw.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archaeon View Post
    In tbc everyone wished they were playing vanilla. In cataclysm everyone will wish they were playing wotlk.
    ^------True story!!

Since I switched to DPS the other tanks (Druid and DK) have said similar things. Honestly I though they were just failing to interrupt Hurl or use a CD for Burst, and blaming it on something else but... now I'm not so sure. I never had any issues at all when tanking as a Prot Pally, but last time the DK swore up and down that he just up and died around the 58s mark of his trial.

For me the pattern has always gone Titanic > Hurl > Piercing > Burst and has never deviated from that.

Also.. i know everyone is sure that they know what they seen... I too was sure I sometimes got 2-3 interruptable abilities in a row.. But I fraps myself and when i watched the vid it turned out I actually misread the ability and hit interrupt at wrong time..
    The ability names are very similar, sometimes you can mix them up if you don't pay attention..

Fraps yourself, watch it and try to analyze from there..
    Quote Originally Posted by Archaeon View Post
    In tbc everyone wished they were playing vanilla. In cataclysm everyone will wish they were playing wotlk.
    ^------True story!!

10+ Year Old Account
    @Yindoo : unfortunately not, thats why i will fraps the next time we go
    @Nobleshield : We also were definately getting all the interrupts right.. If Titanic > Hurl > Piercing > Burst is the normal pattern, then it definately wasn't giving the normal pattern to us, but i'm not able to prove it to you guys at this point :/

Ok i might be a little bit undergeared, but our warrior isn't, and the first wipes we were doing the trial perfect, i came out almost full health, but suddenly it felt like the trial changed, while i was doing it correct.
    A question about the cleave (piercing) though, because you say it's avoidable, i have tried that, running in circles around him (saw that suggestion on official forums) but the add just stays on me and turns with me, still giving me the damage, so how can you avoid it? running away didn't help either.

Getting the abilities wrong is almost impossible, as DBM shouts it out in huge letters (yes i'm that bad that i need DBM as a helping tool).
    But as i mentioned it's weird that we never encountered this problem before, neither on normal or flex, we eventually gave up on the normal one and went flex, and in flex he just did a rotation of his abilities using it in a similar order as Nobleshield said.

I'll make sure i fraps it next time we go in so i can share it with you guys if it occurs again.
    Last edited by Ifrica; 2013-10-24 at 11:58 AM.

That fight can be glitchy at times. For a two week period, our main tank (paladin) was receiving damage from the 'real' realm while he was inside the test realm. His combat log and the actual logs of the fight showed him taking damage from blind hatred and even ticks of icy fear - all while inside the test realm. Last couple of weeks it's been fine, but we don't send a tank in until second round. Oddly enough, our OT (brewmaster) wasn't having issues.
    Originally Posted by Zarhym
    Someone needs to take away your keyboard until you're better able to read the explicit meaning in sentences without implying whatever you want in order to be contrary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archimtiros View Post
    It's like swatting flies with a shotgun.

Quote Originally Posted by Junkdepot View Post
    That fight can be glitchy at times. For a two week period, our main tank (paladin) was receiving damage from the 'real' realm while he was inside the test realm. His combat log and the actual logs of the fight showed him taking damage from blind hatred and even ticks of icy fear - all while inside the test realm. Last couple of weeks it's been fine, but we don't send a tank in until second round. Oddly enough, our OT (brewmaster) wasn't having issues.
    This might be it too. I do recall taking Icy Fear damage. Could it not properly phase you so that maybe you are getting hit by say the beam or something in the real world when in the phased world and it's not differentiating?

I have been running the fight as DPS lately so I can't speak to the tank trials anymore, but when I was tanking I very rarely had any issues; I think I only died once due to not using a CD on Burst, and that was like the second week or so.

Guess I have to stop laughing at the other tanks failing

15+ Year Old Account
    Logs would be your best bet! I woudl highly sugest that you start logging the fights and if you ever run int o anythign that needs help like this again posting htem to get the best possible answer.

Only thing I can think of is they were in teh realm almost the entire time. At the end it may seem like he casts the same thing over and over but in reality the interuptable and uninteruptable abilities are cast very close to eachother and if your UI does not distinguish very clearly what can and can't be interupted they may get miss interpreted as teh same thing.

For your war remind him that he can spell reflect the interuptable ability and as such take no dmg and dmg the add at the same time speeding up the kill Mass spell reflect works as well so if there is any issue with that ability or he gets both just gogog reflect that dmg back at it!

Piercing being avoidable refers to dodge/parry (can also be blocked), not physically moved out of like Smash is.

Otherwise yea we also usually send in tank on 2nd and 3rd or 4th wave.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll look out for getting damage from the real realm next time, i actually didn't think of that and didn't check that either.
    At the time we were only trying various things to prevent the damage of the trial, and trying to do it more perfect then perfect.
    Maybe a bit of tunnelvision on our part, good tip.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Perryn View Post
    Piercing being avoidable refers to dodge/parry (can also be blocked), not physically moved out of like Smash is.

Otherwise yea we also usually send in tank on 2nd and 3rd or 4th wave.
    You don't send in a tank on first orb? we were sending a tank in on first and second round of orbs.
    First tries i (dk) went in first round warrior second round.. as i said, first couple tries went smooth, when i started to fail, we did a switch, having the warrior go in first, but he encountered the same prob. while on the first tries, both of us didn't have any problems with the trial at all.

@Odina, i'll start doing the log thing along with recording/fraps, it does make it alot easier, not only as proof, but to find the actual problem

I want to thank all of you guys already for the replies

Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    This might be it too. I do recall taking Icy Fear damage. Could it not properly phase you so that maybe you are getting hit by say the beam or something in the real world when in the phased world and it's not differentiating?
    Our tank posted on some of the Blizz forums about it and never really got an answer other than the fight is glitchy. I do know that when you're in the test realm you're not supposed to take ANY damage from the real realm. At first we thought it was carryover from him having boss aggro (he would grab the boss at the start then head to the test), but even without touching the boss at all he would sometimes take that damage.
    Originally Posted by Zarhym
    Someone needs to take away your keyboard until you're better able to read the explicit meaning in sentences without implying whatever you want in order to be contrary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archimtiros View Post
    It's like swatting flies with a shotgun.

Nope, we send in 2 dps first, since the encounter is a bit of a dps race and we weren't a high-dps group (particularly not the first few times), but if you can beat the enrage with sending a tank in first then no problem of course.

We also don't send tanks in on our normal progression, not that tanks can't do it but It takes to long. Try just having Dps and healers next time, you might find it easier.