Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    We 2 heal all SoO fights, you don't need 3... replace him asap.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Licarius View Post
    So far we managed to 3 man heal it, probably due to our DPS(mostly mine in the beginning..), but we realised that 3 man healing is unorthodox, and if you have good healers then it is generally too much. Our Paladin still hasn't shown up though, and recruiting healers on Jaedenar is a nightmare..

Thanks for all your advice, by the way! I gave him the AMR link and compiled all the advice into one google doc he can follow. I really hope it helps, at least until we get a replacement, that would at least warrant the time it took you guys to advise him.

Quote Originally Posted by Draghonfourt View Post
    So far we managed to 3 man heal it, probably due to our DPS(mostly mine in the beginning..), but we realised that 3 man healing is unorthodox, and if you have good healers then it is generally too much. Our Paladin still hasn't shown up though, and recruiting healers on Jaedenar is a nightmare..

Thanks for all your advice, by the way! I gave him the AMR link and compiled all the advice into one google doc he can follow. I really hope it helps, at least until we get a replacement, that would at least warrant the time it took you guys to advise him.
    What is it like for recruiting dps? you could maybe persuade your dps shammy to go resto? Hopefully your current resto listens and starts playing ball.

Tbh when my guild first cleared up to Spoils & Thok we 3 healed it, obviously we had to 2 heal spoils, which was easy tbh. When we first killed Thok we 2 healed it with 1 tank. Now 6/7 weeks in our Monk would go dps (due to having a very strong offspec gear wise) and we 2 heal protectors, nuroshen, sha etc. Still progressing on Garrosh, 2 healing it is fun, but we'll get there eventually. There is no shame in 3 healing some of the bosses in SoO.
    Last edited by MaugrimEU; 2013-10-25 at 11:48 AM.
    “I’m like King Midas in reverse. Everything I touch turns to shit.”

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavemoss View Post
    What is it like for recruiting dps? you could maybe persuade your dps shammy to go resto? Hopefully your current resto listens and starts playing ball.

Tbh when my guild first cleared up to Spoils & Thok we 3 healed it, obviously we had to 2 heal spoils, which was easy tbh. When we first killed Thok we 2 healed it with 1 tank. Now 6/7 weeks in our Monk would go dps (due to having a very strong offspec gear wise) and we 2 heal protectors, nuroshen, sha etc. Still progressing on Garrosh, 2 healing it is fun, but we'll get there eventually. There is no shame in 3 healing some of the bosses in SoO.
    All recruitment is terrible. The DPS shammy has no resto gear and doesn't want to play it either. Our current resto just complained that the Askmrrobot link one of the guys in here made puts him on 18k spirit again, so I have no idea what to do with him.

And yes, we have 3 healed Spoils as well.. 2 healing seems more and more attractive purely because I'd only have to hit the jackpot on recruitment once, instead of twice..

All recruitment is terrible. The DPS shammy has no resto gear and doesn't want to play it either. Our current resto just complained that the Askmrrobot link one of the guys in here made puts him on 18k spirit again, so I have no idea what to do with him.

And yes, we have 3 healed Spoils as well.. 2 healing seems more and more attractive purely because I'd only have to hit the jackpot on recruitment once, instead of twice..

I've just had a look at your resto armory, tell him to get a clue and actually read the resto guide on mmo champ, it shouldn't be gemming mastery or reforging to it!

Tell him to swap the +80 int + 180 mastery gems for +80 int + 180 crit.. and tell him to put +80 int and +180 crit gems in his yellow sockets.

Tell him to put haste on his gloves not mastery! and put +80 int + 160 spirit in his blue sockets.

Still not using glyph of chaining, and healing stream or the PE talent.

Is he going for the 7613 haste cap?

Anyway reforges
    - shoulders mastery > crit
    - cloak mastery > crit
    - chest mastery > crit
    - bracers mastery > crit
    - hands remove the reforge here...
    - legs mastery > crit
    - ring 1 mastery > crit
    - main-hand remove the reforge here...then do mastery > crit

This should sort him out.

10+ Year Old Account
    t the Askmrrobot link one of the guys in here made puts him on 18k spirit again, so I have no idea what to do with him.
    Askmrrobot is kind of acting funny for me too when I don't fiddle around with stat weights. It wanted me to raise my spirit levels to 22k! O_o

(Ignore my armory entirely these days, please. I'm running around with a stupid haste-heavy Thok reforge and am messing around with spec and glyphs in a positively ridiculous manner in an attempt to get a grip on that encounter.)

Deleted
    I've just had a look at your resto armory, tell him to get a clue and actually read the resto guide on mmo champ, it shouldn't be gemming mastery or reforging to it!

Tell him to swap the +80 int + 180 mastery gems for +80 int + 180 crit.. and tell him to put +80 int and +180 crit gems in his yellow sockets.

Tell him to put haste on his gloves not mastery! and put +80 int + 160 spirit in his blue sockets.

Still not using glyph of chaining, and healing stream or the PE talent.

Is he going for the 7613 haste cap?

Anyway reforges
    - shoulders mastery > crit
    - cloak mastery > crit
    - chest mastery > crit
    - bracers mastery > crit
    - hands remove the reforge here...
    - legs mastery > crit
    - ring 1 mastery > crit
    - main-hand remove the reforge here...then do mastery > crit

This should sort him out.
    I had to guide him through reforges.. He ended up gemming full mastery for some reason and had 14.5k mastery.. I don't think he has a clue and is entirely unable to get one..

Think he probably picked up the wrong orange gem (we've all be there) as his yellow ones were pure cirt

Deleted
    Think he probably picked up the wrong orange gem (we've all be there) as his yellow ones were pure cirt
    No his yellow ones were pure mastery first as well. He picked the correct gems now, replaced that horrible ToT trinket with a much better SoO LFR one, is currently trying out the LMG with totems and totemic recall. I made him pick the correct glyphs(I think), based from what people have prescribed him. I hope it'll have effect..

No his yellow ones were pure mastery first as well. He picked the correct gems now, replaced that horrible ToT trinket with a much better SoO LFR one, is currently trying out the LMG with totems and totemic recall. I made him pick the correct glyphs(I think), based from what people have prescribed him. I hope it'll have effect..
    oh yeah can see it now, he is missing out on 720 intellect by not gemming +80 int + 180 crit in his yellow and extra slots. also +80 + 160 spirit in his blue ones. it all adds up!

Quote Originally Posted by rmlunsford View Post
    No reason to get into glyphs talents gear. .
    Yup. I'm with rmlunsford. He just isn't using the tools available to resto shamans. No need to get into glyphs and stats at this point. He just isn't playing resto shaman correctly. If he's playing 20 chars I am not suprised he isn't performing. He should be practicing with cooldowns, learning the fights and communicating with the priest around cooldown rotation (specially on thok - where you want to chain BoP, Devo, Barrier, SLT, etc, etc)

In essence the basic resto shaman todo list is:
    1. High ES uptime.
    2. High Riptide uptime (tidal waves buff)
    3. HST uptime
    4. Healing Rain placement (with UL)
    5. Cooldown management

He seems to be failing on most all of them. When he gets these few things right then he can to start worry about his spirit level or if if glyph of chaining is performing better.

Now regarding if he's usless or not, well that depends entirely on your raiding group. I know you described yourself as "semi-hardcore raiding guild" - but what's hardcore and not varies greatly among players. I would describe myself as a casual raider. I raid 6-8 hours a week but we're at 6 hc.

How your raiding group's atmosphere is and how his attitude towards raiding might be totally different. Maybe a little chat might fix things.

If you're a relaxed bunch and you enjoy the company of this player and he enjoys playing with you and is willing to improve and change his playstyle there's not need to replace him.

If you want to progress more, don't enjoy his company and he isn't willing to adopt. Then you need to replace him. At least give him a warning that he needs to fix those things so the group can move forward.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Licarius View Post
    I've also seen that its possible to 1-man heal Garrosh HC. Wouldn't reccomend it to most guilds though.

Again. Raiding groups are different. What works for one doesn't might not work for the next. They have different players, different playstyle, different focus.

Is it possible to 2-man heal everything in SoO?
    - Yes (and quite easily in normal)

Should every guild 2-man heal a fight?
    - No.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Geekboy View Post
    Yup. I'm with rmlunsford. He just isn't using the tools available to resto shamans. No need to get into glyphs and stats at this point. He just isn't playing resto shaman correctly. If he's playing 20 chars I am not suprised he isn't performing. He should be practicing with cooldowns, learning the fights and communicating with the priest around cooldown rotation (specially on thok - where you want to chain BoP, Devo, Barrier, SLT, etc, etc)

In essence the basic resto shaman todo list is:
    1. High ES uptime.
    2. High Riptide uptime (tidal waves buff)
    3. HST uptime
    4. Healing Rain placement (with UL)
    5. Cooldown management

He seems to be failing on most all of them. When he gets these few things right then he can to start worry about his spirit level or if if glyph of chaining is performing better.

Now regarding if he's usless or not, well that depends entirely on your raiding group. I know you described yourself as "semi-hardcore raiding guild" - but what's hardcore and not varies greatly among players. I would describe myself as a casual raider. I raid 6-8 hours a week but we're at 6 hc.

How your raiding group's atmosphere is and how his attitude towards raiding might be totally different. Maybe a little chat might fix things.

If you're a relaxed bunch and you enjoy the company of this player and he enjoys playing with you and is willing to improve and change his playstyle there's not need to replace him.

If you want to progress more, don't enjoy his company and he isn't willing to adopt. Then you need to replace him. At least give him a warning that he needs to fix those things so the group can move forward.
    I call it semi-hardcore because otherwise people like him will have issues. We have a few players(Mostly DPS) who I can easily call hardcore and are all about performance and progression.

I am basically babying him right now into optimising everything. His ES uptime went up to 98%, he's trying to up his Riptime(sorry, I had to..) as well. However I'm not sure if it is just cooldowns that is the issue :P Still, I am trying to discuss it with him, and hopefully he will improve enough to allow us to at least clear normal, or the 10/14 bosses we have done so far..

I call it semi-hardcore because otherwise people like him will have issues. We have a few players(Mostly DPS) who I can easily call hardcore and are all about performance and progression.
    Yeah totally. Casual/hardcore is just semantics. Wasn't ment as a shot/bug.

However I'm not sure if it is just cooldowns that is the issue
    Well resto shaman healing is based alot around cooldown management. For example, SLT increases the effictive hps for all your healers since very little will overheal. It is pretty OP on fights like Thok.

On thok he can skyrocket the meters by simply popping Ascendance, use Unleash Elements, then a instant HR + Spirit Link Totem. Since its instant he can cast it at the near end and keep the raid up while nobody else can heal. Another tip on Thok is to riptide blanket the ride before popping Ascendance (since it works on already applied hots).

On fighs like Dark Shaman there are two tanks tanking constant damage. There should be riptide rolling on them at all times. He can then use the third one for spot heal and snipe with surges when people mess up (which they're gonna do by standing in stuff). Keep HR on the tanks/melee. Spam HW on the tanks and cast CH on the range group (which is stacking?) when there's an incoming damage. That + HST uptime and he's doing 95% right. Watch the timers for the meteor-thingy when there's a raid-wide dmg incoming and pop some cooldowns.

It just looks to me like he needs to practice more with his shaman and feel comfortable with the playstyle they follow...which has its up and down.

I am trying to discuss it with him, and hopefully he will improve enough to allow us to at least clear normal, or the 10/14 bosses we have done so far..
    Yeah sounds good. Good luck with everything. Hope everything sorts out

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Geekboy View Post
    Yeah totally. Casual/hardcore is just semantics. Wasn't ment as a shot/bug.

Well resto shaman healing is based alot around cooldown management. For example, SLT increases the effictive hps for all your healers since very little will overheal. It is pretty OP on fights like Thok.

On thok he can skyrocket the meters by simply popping Ascendance, use Unleash Elements, then a instant HR + Spirit Link Totem. Since its instant he can cast it at the near end and keep the raid up while nobody else can heal. Another tip on Thok is to riptide blanket the ride before popping Ascendance (since it works on already applied hots).

On fighs like Dark Shaman there are two tanks tanking constant damage. There should be riptide rolling on them at all times. He can then use the third one for spot heal and snipe with surges when people mess up (which they're gonna do by standing in stuff). Keep HR on the tanks/melee. Spam HW on the tanks and cast CH on the range group (which is stacking?) when there's an incoming damage. That + HST uptime and he's doing 95% right. Watch the timers for the meteor-thingy when there's a raid-wide dmg incoming and pop some cooldowns.

It just looks to me like he needs to practice more with his shaman and feel comfortable with the playstyle they follow...which has its up and down.

Yeah sounds good. Good luck with everything. Hope everything sorts out
    Yeah I know you didn't, I was just clarifying it a bit(Albeit redundantly). I've been talking to him, trying to motivate him to spend more time on practising and figuring out how to get the most out of his shaman. Like I said, considering his attitude and skill right now I don't think we'll be able to do heroics with him, but the normal clear might work.

Thanks for the help! I've bookmarked the topic so I can refer back to it and I can link the shaman guides on here to him as well if he requires further information.

I am basically babying him right now into optimising everything. His ES uptime went up to 98%, he's trying to up his Riptime(sorry, I had to..) as well. However I'm not sure if it is just cooldowns that is the issue :P Still, I am trying to discuss it with him, and hopefully he will improve enough to allow us to at least clear normal, or the 10/14 bosses we have done so far..
    Also let him know to bounce chain heal off of targets with riptide on them whenever possible as it buffs the CH. And clipping riptide ticks is bad practice.

http://lifeingroup5.com/?p=3508

Going to use Iron juggernaut as that looks like the worst fight for him.

HST on CD
    12 drops on a 6:15 fight is okay, Not optimized Call of the elements but if you need to drop mana tide or HTT it's fine to delay HST a bit.

Unleash before rain
    He fucked this up basically

3 Healing rains on a 6 min fight is really bad as well. HR is resto shamans best HPM and HPS spell if you can hit at least 2 targets with it for full duration. It should be used every 13ish so around and he is barely using this spell. Not using your best HPS/HPM spell is problem imo.

Chain heal through riptide
    I cba, it looks okay but If you want to try yourself open up the expression editor and remember to change to sourcename="Earthbind"

Don't overwrite your riptides
    0 refresh Bingo!

100% uptime on Earth shield
    Nop this not looking good, Tell him to always try and keep Earth shield at 3+ charges and refresh it if it ever goes below that. Making a weakaura can probably help with this as well. (With good earth shields the only thing that show up if you look on all kills for a full clear should be dispels on the shaman adds on nazgrim)

Earth shield and HR Fix those and he will see a huge improvement. Just tell him to use HR ON CD whatever you are doing, If you can find two targets within healing rain range drop it after casting unleash. Even if there is most of the time a 3 sec dead space were HR is not on cd but unleash elements is always wait for unleash. After HST Healing rain is the main thing he should focus on keeping down.

The chainning glyph should boost Chain heals healing in 10 man and give him more mana because of the cooldown.

I would not worry about stats until he have learnt how to drop the rain tbh unless he is going mastery everything is fine. going oom? get more spirit.
    Last edited by Axelond; 2013-10-25 at 10:46 PM.

Deleted
    Before yu replace him, you should note that his performance is more than fine for normals and well into hcs.

The core issue really is that 90% of your deaths in the raid is from standing in bad shit, which natureally makes healing fundementally harder.

Deleted
    he's not doing too bad on many fights, however he should really work on Thok and garrosh

also i'd recommend taking a little bit of haste for the latency bug on totems and aim for 9k haste instead of 8800. His stats looks pretty good now
    Last edited by mmocad35d3ef86; 2013-10-27 at 10:23 AM.

Deleted
    Well, I'll be. 2 shot Thok, 3 shot Siegecrafter, 2 shot Klaxxi. He was really, really good. I don't know when or how this happened, but I guess there was more to him after all o__O

Thanks for the advice a lot!

I'm also 2-healing 10 man with a disc priest, and in my opinion his old mastery gems were much better than the crit gems.
    When someone is low hp and about to die, crit may save him, but it may not, it all depends on the rng on that particular heal.
    On the other hand, mastery will be there to increase that life saving heal, guaranteed.

Another way to think of it, is that crit helps the upper part of the health bar, while mastery helps the lower part. This is since when you cast many heals, the rng on crits evens out and you get average bonus close to your crit value (assuming no overheal). Most of the time the hp bars will be above 50%, therefore there are many chances to crit. But people dip close to zero hp much less times in the fight, and at those few times you really don't want to depend on crit rng.

Since the disc absorbs come first, the priest will usually take care of most of the healing in that upper part of the bar (i.e. snipe the heals). But when some slip through and get to the lower part, you want your mastery to catch all those that the disc missed and increase them. This may be lower on overall hps, but it's better for saving lives.