Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ...
8
16
17
18
19
20
LastLast
  1. #341
    Herald of the Titans
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    The Frozen Wasteland
    Posts
    2,573
    Quote Originally Posted by allatar View Post
    Then why on earth are you playing an MMO ?
    The purpose of an MMO isn't solely to interact with strangers on the internet.

  2. #342
    Quote Originally Posted by Ula View Post
    Simple Thread - Why don't you raid the harder difficulties?

    Recently, a point has been raised that the most casual form of raiding (LFR) takes the longest to complete when compared against flexible and normal. A structured group can clear the other easier difficulties in a much quicker time frame reaping far greater rewards.

    So, why don't you partake in structured raiding?

    Can you not commit to any form of schedule, be it a small commitment or large?
    Are you not interested in the harder difficulties in a game?
    Can you not find other players to raid with?
    Are you afraid of, or personally not good enough to participate in the harder difficulties?
    Do the rewards, and the prospect of a stronger character not interest you?



    This thread may not be applicable to you, but feel free to discuss.
    I can't commit to a schedule in a video game. My schedule in real life is hectic enough, but that's why real life > video game.

  3. #343
    Warchief
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Canada,we've got freedom too, except we don't pretend to be american when we travel.
    Posts
    2,051
    Quote Originally Posted by madassa648 View Post
    I'm up every day at 0530 and finish work at 1600. I do enough work without having to comit to a full time raiding guild.
    Sounds like you might be in a raiding guild irl

    OT: time, and disinterest in raiding with the one asshat who always thinks everyone is shit and he's awesome, no he's not an elitist, he just THINKS he is.
    Seriously, if i have to listen to one more pisshead try to have a go at me b/c I haven't got such and such yet...fuck, like I can make it drop if it just doesn't.
    Yah okay buddy, let me get out my i win dice that forces the loot table to drop the upgrade that pisshead seems to think I should already have or leave the raid.
    (true story, and no I was not in blues or greens, nor was it impacting my performance, this asshole picked someone new every week, and since it just wouldn't drop, I was his fav for 2 weeks until I put him on ignore...this person, was an officer.)
    Who needs it? Not I.
    I wonder if he bitches at the lack of tanks while always being on their case still, while playing a toon that could tank, while not tanking?
    At any rate, he caused more wipes then most people.
    Just left me with a bad taste for hardmodes, having to deal with the attitude cases.
    The actual hardmode raiding is fun.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Otiswhitaker View Post
    I have severe social anxiety. (Like, seriously. I'm medicated for it, and it's a daily, horrible struggle.) But it's okay! I quit a few weeks before 5.4 anyways, shortly after the only two friends I had playing WoW still had also left the game after a long time assumption we would wind up doing arena and scenarios and whatnot, only to have them sort of just stop playing :x

    I've always wanted to, though, I just found everyone I encountered that may of led to that possibility extremely offputting, and never tried because of that.

    Look at several people in these forums as is, like that judgementofantonidas fellow. I mean, I know he doesn't represent raiding as a whole, but the general thought of it puts me into a panic attack mode and makes me want to throw the game out of a window. I know there's good people out there that wouldn't make my life a living hell, I just rarely ever saw them.
    Keep your chin up, I'm pulling for you
    "There are other sites on the internet designed for people to make friends or relationships. This isn't one" Darsithis Super Moderator
    Proof that the mmochamp community can be a bitter and lonely place. What a shame.

  4. #344
    Blademaster CecilHarvey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    42
    I have a multitude of reasons.

    I started playing this game in 2004. 20 years old. I'm 29 now. I'm a Salaried Systems Admin that's married and has a family.

    I had a majority of the "elite" titles in previous expansions -- Firelord, 15% Madness/Spine, Four Winds, etc. etc. Up until end of Cata I always have been a high parsing, ranking Ret Paladin for many years and I have never had an issue with my ability to play this game or optimize my toon.

    Basically, it boils down to the fact I have to be at the top of the progression chain or nothing. I feel as I'm not accomplishing what I want if I can't clear the Heroic content, and clearing that content at a level of a full Heroic clear while relevant requires more than 2 nights/6 hours a week. So I quit, because:

    A) I can't do more than 2 nights/6 hours a week
    B) Because of A, I'm not going to get the fufillment I want to out of the game, personally. And even then, it becomes a pain in the ass to be permanently obligated to be glued to your chair for 3 hours at times.

    This, on top of the fact I'm on call alot of times for a 24/7 environment -- just makes me a pain in the ass to deal with logistically for alot of guilds.

    If the game suddenly found some resolution to make it easier to accomplish this in a smaller frame of time while keeping the skill ceiling needed involved, I'd be all over it as I love raiding in this game. I know that's not likely to happen though.

  5. #345
    Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    I don't know if thats really that miserable a way to live life. Would you say it was 'miserable' if you said 'I hope this raid ends by 8, so I can make my daughter's concert on time' ?
    Yes. You should make your daughter's concert on time regardless of what's happening in a video game. Even considering otherwise makes you sound like some sort of deranged poopsock monster.

  6. #346
    Quote Originally Posted by allatar View Post
    Then why on earth are you playing an MMO ?
    My question exactly. I consider my Internet friends that i have been playing with since Vanilla better friends than most of the people i know IRL. That is the whole point of an MMO, to get to know and play with others. Sole reason i hate LFR/LFG/Que system is because of what it did to the community in the game.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hurf Blurf View Post
    Yes. You should make your daughter's concert on time regardless of what's happening in a video game. Even considering otherwise makes you sound like some sort of deranged poopsock monster.
    This is why we raid at 9PM my time in our guild. My boss is my GM, and we both have a wive and kids. Once they have gone to bed we log on and slay internet dragons with our raid team 3 nights a week and the wives are cool with it.
    Last edited by Hotsforyou; 2013-10-26 at 08:16 PM.

  7. #347
    Quote Originally Posted by CecilHarvey View Post
    I have a multitude of reasons.

    I started playing this game in 2004. 20 years old. I'm 29 now. I'm a Salaried Systems Admin that's married and has a family.

    I had a majority of the "elite" titles in previous expansions -- Firelord, 15% Madness/Spine, Four Winds, etc. etc. Up until end of Cata I always have been a high parsing, ranking Ret Paladin for many years and I have never had an issue with my ability to play this game or optimize my toon.

    Basically, it boils down to the fact I have to be at the top of the progression chain or nothing. I feel as I'm not accomplishing what I want if I can't clear the Heroic content, and clearing that content at a level of a full Heroic clear while relevant requires more than 2 nights/6 hours a week. So I quit, because:

    A) I can't do more than 2 nights/6 hours a week
    B) Because of A, I'm not going to get the fufillment I want to out of the game, personally. And even then, it becomes a pain in the ass to be permanently obligated to be glued to your chair for 3 hours at times.

    This, on top of the fact I'm on call alot of times for a 24/7 environment -- just makes me a pain in the ass to deal with logistically for alot of guilds.

    If the game suddenly found some resolution to make it easier to accomplish this in a smaller frame of time while keeping the skill ceiling needed involved, I'd be all over it as I love raiding in this game. I know that's not likely to happen though.

    This is almost my same exact situation, except I settled for LFR.

    I grew up, have a family which is a 24/7 job that is more important than WoW. I'm also a salaried systems admin that at any time can get a call that I need to remote in for. I raided a few times and got the call, then decided that I just can't expect the guild to wait while I take care of an issue.

  8. #348
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotsforyou View Post
    This is why we raid at 9PM my time in our guild. My boss is my GM, and we both have a wive and kids. Once they have gone to bed we log on and slay internet dragons with our raid team 3 nights a week and the wives are cool with it.
    Your boss is your GM. Most of our bosses are not so understanding when we drag our asses into work and put in a subpar performance by virtue of the 6- hrs of sleep we got the night before.
    Last edited by Ronduwil; 2013-10-28 at 06:16 PM.

  9. #349
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronduwil View Post
    Your boss is your GM. Most of our bosses are not so understanding when we drag your asses into work and put in a subpar performance by virtue of the 6- hrs of sleep we got the night before.
    That's not a matter of whether or not you choose to raid, that's a matter of being irresponsible. Don't get the two mixed up.

    If you cannot find a time to raid that does not negatively impact the rest of your life, then you probably shouldn't be raiding.

    There are plenty of solid, progressive guilds that start raids right after dinner time and end right around "bed time" for the working adult. Most of them, actually. That's why it was so hard for me to find a solid guild in the past. I worked 8-5 one week, then 12-9 the next, alternating. Most guilds raid during the week within the hours listed. I finally found a guild raiding weekends, and it was perfect for me, because my daughters were in bed, and some of us choose to enjoy time at home instead of out at the bars, etc.

  10. #350
    Moderator Nobleshield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Tampa Bay, Florida
    Posts
    5,014
    To be fair, I do raid normal, and sometimes have success at it. I don't raid heroic because to be frank I've never been in a guild that could do heroic without it being nerfed (think Firelands/DS). Now at the cost of coming off like an arrogant ass, I think I could raid at the heroic level at high level (not anywhere near like Method or Blood Legion level of course, I mean more like US 100-200 level) if I was given the opportunity to do so, but that never happens because I don't get heroic experience (if I get any at all) or gear fast enough to be of use to those guilds or generally to even be noticed by them, and while I know not all of them do it I'd rather not feel "forced" to be online 4-5 nights a week for x many hours a day. I generally only log on for raids or if I'm just chilling with people.
    NOBLESHIELD
    <Meliora> of Turalyon-US
    Raids & Dungeons Moderator | Mod Voice


  11. #351
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    To be fair, I do raid normal, and sometimes have success at it. I don't raid heroic because to be frank I've never been in a guild that could do heroic without it being nerfed (think Firelands/DS). Now at the cost of coming off like an arrogant ass, I think I could raid at the heroic level at high level (not anywhere near like Method or Blood Legion level of course, I mean more like US 100-200 level) if I was given the opportunity to do so, but that never happens because I don't get heroic experience (if I get any at all) or gear fast enough to be of use to those guilds or generally to even be noticed by them, and while I know not all of them do it I'd rather not feel "forced" to be online 4-5 nights a week for x many hours a day. I generally only log on for raids or if I'm just chilling with people.
    If you ever did choose to join a HM guild, the biggest part is selling yourself and showing that you're capable of milking your gear at whatever ilvl it may be (via logs, etc.). You can either join a guild that's half normal/half heroic, which is more likely to want or need you, and then gear up and move on (making your intentions known of course, nobody likes "that guy").

    Trying to find a guild at the beginning of a tier when you're undergeared is usually not going to go very well, because they don't have the time to spend gearing you up. Come in right near the end of a tier, find a HM guild that has lost a raider or two, take their spot, let them carry you to prepare for the next tier. Again, you'd have to prove that you're capable of maximizing your potential for them to accept you, but as long as you can do that, at the end of a tier they'd usually be willing to carry you for gear to prep for the next tier.

  12. #352
    Legendary! Pendra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    6,375
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotsforyou View Post
    My boss is my GM
    Isn't this literally asking for troubles?

  13. #353
    I don't raid normals or heroics because ever since the addition of guild leaders being stripped after 3 months of inactivity, it has switched to someone in our guild who's a complete cock.

    -- The guy thinks he's badass even though he's a crap DPS and no legendary cloak. On his main, no less.
    -- He promoted his GF to co-leader and his bestest friends to officers, and demoted most of the other guildies to members.
    -- He raped the guild vault of 200,000 gold and most of the flasks and useful stuff that was for our old raid team. It came to the point where we had no gold to pay for guild repair bills.
    -- Despite not trying to recruit and pissing off a lot of the old raiders, he still expects to try and put together a 10 man raid group. With only one tank (me) and no healers.

    Back to the question at hand, I can't raid because I can't tank anymore. By that I mean I now suck at tanking because I haven't tanked since Cataclysm. Honestly, I couldn't even tank Mogushan when it was current content. So I only have a tank spec when me and friends wanna do old content or whatever. So I'm kinda stuck with Retribution spec atm, which no one wants.

    I only stick around this guild because of the perks. Should a melee DPS spot open up in another guild then I'm game.

  14. #354
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyviroth View Post
    I don't raid normals or heroics because ever since the addition of guild leaders being stripped after 3 months of inactivity, it has switched to someone in our guild who's a complete cock.
    You should run, not walk, away from that guild. Set a positive example for other guild members who are also thinking of leaving.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "Almost every time I have gotten to know a critic personally, they keep up with the criticism but lose the venom." -- Ghostcrawler
    I hate these casual Fridays ruining it for real Fridays.

  15. #355
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    You should run, not walk, away from that guild. Set a positive example for other guild members who are also thinking of leaving.
    But that's the point of the last stretch of my post -- I can't. I don't have any other guild to go to because no one wants a Ret paladin or are willing to bring an inexperienced tank. So I just bide my time and enjoy the free perks and guild repairs until a situation I can agree with comes up, be it a spot in another guild for a melee DPS or otherwise.

    Oh and, if there were any guildies left to set an example for, then fair enough. But most have already left.

  16. #356
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyviroth View Post
    But that's the point of the last stretch of my post -- I can't. I don't have any other guild to go to because no one wants a Ret paladin or are willing to bring an inexperienced tank. So I just bide my time and enjoy the free perks and guild repairs until a situation I can agree with comes up, be it a spot in another guild for a melee DPS or otherwise.

    Oh and, if there were any guildies left to set an example for, then fair enough. But most have already left.
    You're not raiding anyway. Go to another guild that's has a Flex casual team, and make yourself available for their main raid as a benchwarmer. It's going to be better than what you have now, which is a guild that's never going to go anyway. Your current guild is doomed; the only question is how much time you're going to waste there before you realize it.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "Almost every time I have gotten to know a critic personally, they keep up with the criticism but lose the venom." -- Ghostcrawler
    I hate these casual Fridays ruining it for real Fridays.

  17. #357
    The Patient Wulfstan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    United States, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    212
    I did scheduled raiding back in Wrath, don't really want to commit to something like that again.
    The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it.- George Carlin

  18. #358
    Quote Originally Posted by Descense View Post
    Mostly guild drama abauth loot or geting left out on XXX fight. This is why i like flex. I kinda wish they would make same with normal raiding (and they could return 40 man raids also).
    Only problem with 40 man raids today, is that they would require high end super expensive computers with wow's poor coding, with the much better spell effects and environment details we have today. Sadly. :/

  19. #359
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    You're not raiding anyway. Go to another guild that's has a Flex casual team, and make yourself available for their main raid as a benchwarmer. It's going to be better than what you have now, which is a guild that's never going to go anyway. Your current guild is doomed; the only question is how much time you're going to waste there before you realize it.
    I don't believe any guilds on my server currently have a flex casual team. The server (Bloodhoof EU) is only medium populated, with only 1/3 or it being Horde. Most of the guilds are either Normal / Heroic, or are only recruiting healers and tanks (sometimes ranged dps like Warlock or Shaman). But I'll take a look in a few hours time when it gets more active.

  20. #360
    Quote Originally Posted by Nivis View Post
    Simple: I just can't be bothered to deal with a raiding guild.
    My reason exactly.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •