Compensation for Campus Pepper Spray Cop

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-24650954

So the Cop that pepper sprayed protestors at a US campus has been awarded a huge payout for psychiatric damage

What are your thoughts?

Deleted
    Americas civil courts are a joke, thats my thought.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Soon the government will ask them to open fire and they'll do it like rats.

Looks like it was just a settlement to get rid of both him and any more embarrassment for the school.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    $38,000 is a huge payout? He was awarded this for Workman's compensation. The guy got harassed and couldn't take it I guess 17,000 E-mails from whiny people would cause some emotional distress.
    I guess the part that pissed me off the most was his annual salary of $110,243.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    17,000 E-mails from whiny people would cause some emotional distress.
    Whiny people?! Behave. The guy was a cunt and got called on it.

I get a shit ton a stressful emails a day wheres my compensation?

Wait did the guy not know how to delete in his inbox tray?

I know 38k dollars isnt a kings ransom but i sure could use that kind of cash for pepper spraying some guys sitting down!

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a workers comp claim. Seems like the insurance company decided to settle for a lesser cost rather than drag out a long litigation process. Happens all too often.

If only people understood how unbelievably bad fraudulent workers comp claims have gotten in the past few years, and how businesses are suffering as a result.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/casual...everything-cop

Well they did realise his name and info.... and they should not.

Identity Revealed

On November 19th, Anonymous hacktivists in support of the Occupy Movement released contact information, home address and salary records of the UC Davis police officer Lt. John Pike, which was quickly picked up by a number of Anonymous-affiliate outlets on Twitter and Tumblr. As a result of the controversy, Pike has reportedly received more than 10,000 text messages and 17,000 emails critiquing his actions.

In March 2012, a judge ordered that the names of the other officers involved not be released to the public, which led to a legal battle between California newspapers The Sacramento Bee and the New York Times. The newspapers won the case that June and a judge ordered the University of California to release their names.

In my option the newspaper should pay out for the damage they caused.

Don't sweat the details!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I laughed even harder at this statement:

"Last year, the university agreed to pay $1 million to settle a lawsuit brought on behalf of the 21 students who got sprayed and later reported suffering panic attacks, trauma and academic problems as a result."
    $1 million divided by 21 isn't a great deal more than what the cop is getting. I'd wager getting peppersprayed in the face during a sit down protest is a fair bit more traumatic than being called out for doing said pepperspraying.

Unless you mean they got a million each... that's a bit mindboggling O.o
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    As i recall he warned students many times until finally spraying them, so i dont blame the guy for doing so.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SePetus View Post
    As i recall he warned students many times until finally spraying them, so i dont blame the guy for doing so.
    Warned them of what? "HEY GUIS I KNO UR SITTING THERE BUT PLS DONT SIT THERE I WILL PEPPERSPRAY YO UFOR SITTING PEACFULLY LOL"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vindico View Post
    Warned them of what? "HEY GUIS I KNO UR SITTING THERE BUT PLS DONT SIT THERE I WILL PEPPERSPRAY YO UFOR SITTING PEACFULLY LOL"
    A lot of things?

wait, so you can pepper spray a group of people for sitting where you don't want them to?

Lets start spraying down homeless people, or children who are walking on our lawns

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    You mean he did his job?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Glnger View Post
    wait, so you can pepper spray a group of people for sitting where you don't want them to?

Lets start spraying down homeless people, or children who are walking on our lawns
    It depends on your local police force's Use Of Force guidelines. Why would we spray homeless people and children? Your statement makes no sense.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vindico View Post
    They were sitting on school property I would assume, and we have no idea what else is happening besides them sitting there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post

They were sitting on school property I would assume, and we have no idea what else is happening besides them sitting there.
    They were preventing the police from being able to leave. They were also fully warned before the spraying by the cop who asked each protestor, one on one, if they understood that they would be sprayed if they did not move.