Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Character Model Updates...

Does anyone have any information on them? I know they are supposedly working on them but haven't heard anything for awhile. Will they be done soon or should we just continue hoping they will be done for the next expansion?

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't hold your breath. We only know as much as blizzard wants us to know. Hope for good content more than character models imo
    Chaos! Madness! Like a hug for your brain!¯\(°_o)/¯
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpheus View Post
    People doing below 200k dps? Ain't nobody got time for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by smartazjb0y View Post
    Why? Why should content be gated behind skill?
    14/14h and finally done

10+ Year Old Account
    Not a lot known - last we heard was 20% done. I do believe it will be a major feature expansion, but that is only because I don't believe there will be a new class or race next expansion. As stated above, let's hope for more good content while they work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzcon, Blizzcon, Blizzcon
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

What do you guys think the coolest looking horde race will be after the Race models have been updated will be?

Deleted
    I'm looking forward to Undead personally.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm a bit worried we are getting our expectations too high and will be let down..although if they are anything like garrosh we will be fine :P

+ count me in for undead male update aswell can't wait to see it :P

I'm hoping they are all done at Blizzcon.

I'm expecting them to have one or two races done, with the rest coming "Soon."

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm crossing my fingers, cause it's way past time to start updating the 2003 quality models.
    DISCLAIMER: Reader discretion advised. The above post is entirely fictional and purely for entertainment purposes only. Any similarities to real life events, animals, humans, persons, politicians, or any other form of entity, living, dead or in any other state of existence, is purely coincidental. The author cannot and will not be held accountable for such similarities or any other parallels that are imagined and/or drawn by you, the reader, between the above fictional work and real life events.

Deleted
    The last update was that they were 25% done. A lot of people were incredibly disappointed by this, but personally I feel that for a project that isn't (or wasn't) being actively worked on, that a quarter completion is pretty damn good. I think it likely that they'll be made a selling point of the next expansion, hopefully with all the new models available at launch - but more realistically with the first few available at launch and the others released in major patches. If Blizzard actually makes this an active project, we can be sure that progress will become a lot faster, even if it will still be a lot of work.

10+ Year Old Account
    A lot of people are convinced that they'll be a big selling point of Expansion V, either gradually or at launch. I'd say that's a fair bet.

Last I read they were considering releasing them when they have a good bunch of them when ready, then add the rest in further patches. Which sounds to me like they aren't sure they can have them all done before the next Expansion, but are trying to get enough of them done for it to be a selling point, then add the missing updated races with further patches in the expansion cycle.

Makes sense to me. It seems to be a lot of work for them. It's not so much that they need to be new and awesome. I think the hard part is making them resemble the old ones enough for people to keep the same love for their character. There will be people quitting over new models, definitely. They are just doing their best to minimize that number.

So, it seems they are trying to get "a good number" of them released with the new expansion. Maybe 6 out of 10 old models updated. Then release the final 4 in further patches. Of course, that's just something they are considering/trying. It may not end up working out or they may decide something else, but from their words, this seems to be or have been their consideration.

Well ll I can say is I cant wait! If orcs look like Garrosh I will be a orc warlock ASAP hell even the trolls will look bad ass! Also I already love my undead male so if that looks even cooler i will be set!!

why the stiffy over character models when they're mostly covered in armour head to foot it really wont make much difference after early levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Vetis View Post
    why the stiffy over character models when they're mostly covered in armour head to foot it really wont make much difference after early levels.
    This is why I found better armour more important than updated models.... but I agree also with the point that they are outdated and won't attract new people to wow.
    My hope is that after the updated models, we will be getting bette looking armor... as we see more of our armor than of our chars.

I know some of us are hoping that the new character models will bring with them more detailed armor geometry; though that probably won't be the case at first either. If they aren't making sure that various broad flat areas, such as the torso, are properly segmented to distort correctly they're just going to have to do it all over again when people complain about the new models too.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's a little more relevant now with transmog and the ability to have your character wear pretty much any model from the game (for their gear type) at end game. I have my warrior transmogged to look as close to Admiral Taylor in the early stages of Pandaria as I can; I can see most of my normal model with it.

I am pretty sure the orc model is going to be similar to Garrosh. I remember one of the developers talking about how some of the new model physics in SoO are almost a preview of what is coming.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Redrun View Post
    Don't hold your breath. We only know as much as blizzard wants us to know. Hope for good content more than character models imo
    I hope for both. I was not disappointed with MoP, just their daily system (until they added double rep at Revered).

10+ Year Old Account
    Last I heard was more or less speculation that Blizzard may defer to the method of releasing what they have done peice mail versus releasing ALL the new character models at once due to already high time constraints. So from what I have gathered, though can't confirm, is Blizzard is entertaining the idea they will release the models piece by piece as to say we may get humans and orcs one patch then later down the road receive another set since it takes soooo much time and resources to make new models that are true to the original concept and still capture the same spirit that attracts the same players playing the current race.

Really I can't say for sure, what I can say for sure is Blizzard understands given the amount of time and effort people have invested in their characters makes this a sensitive issue because they are afraid they will release a character model that will not stand true to the current model and make the race unattractive to its respective player base.