Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Perfect gems, failure?

So I have JC and when I prospect my ores Im getting alot green gems that often turns later into perfect cuts. The problem is, on my server they are useless. Noone is buying them even when the price is much lower than the "normal gems" from blues. Its seems that everyone just looking at AH for the "normal cuts" and do not bother checking the alternatives.

So from now Im making only gems that I use on my lock but I have too much of them now and cant really sell them. Was trying sell them on trade but none responded and I dont have time to spend 2h advertising gems on trade.

What do you guys think, is this failure from economic perspective? Or maybe your realm is different and you dont have problems with selling them?

10+ Year Old Account
    The more popular perfect cuts sell on my server, although a little slower than the regular versions. They are generally 5-10g cheaper.

Well, I have some 'comments' on the Perfect cut.

1. Chicken or the Egg
    Blizz wanted to gve JCr's a chance to make some profit from cutting green qulity gems. Ok, I can understand this. It gives people a chance while leveling to make some money or people who don't have an alchemist to have a chance to make cuts and be able to sell them. What happens I feel is that it end up on the AH side a dilution of the cuts to sell. Normally, i just xmute the raw cuts and then sell them.

2. Profession Perk
    Well, I feel it's a noble perk to have a chance to say "Well, I don't have any raws, so I'll cut till I get some perfects" than vendor the green cuts. I feel it would have been better to have this perk better served some other way. One way (just off the top of my head) would be making the perfects only for JCr's, but then people couldn't sell on AH (above). However, this helps the situation where the gems cut on the AH would get some price increase on AH (not by very much).

10+ Year Old Account
    Where everything is bitter. Especially me.
    Problem 1: Expecting instantaneous profit
    Problem 2: Limiting production to a single class' preferrred stats
    Problem 3: Auction house lacks proper filtering for gems

The gems arent so much a failure, as the players not using them when they're cheaper are.
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    *bro fist*
    Main - My Youtube Channel - Useful PvP Items - Hunter Pet Spreadsheet - Music and Stuff

My opinion is that the biggest problem is the naming of the gems - if you don't have a JC then you don't know what name to search for to find the perfect gems. Once you know about the name of the blue rarity version you'll just keep searching for that.

A better solution would have been when you proc a perfect gem you actually get the blue equivalent instead of a "third" gem.

Edit: The post above me is exactly what i'm trying to say

Quote Originally Posted by CaptRik View Post

A better solution would have been when you proc a perfect gem you actually get the blue equivalent instead of a "third" gem.
    Oh this would be perfect solution, instead making "Perfect XX" they should just turn into normal blue gems.

Or.... Use your greenies for Primal Diamonds.. since 5x are required to purchase the legendary meta, I would expect the market for these would be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Yindoo View Post
    Most of my friends search for "delicate primordial".
    I always search for "delicate".

So the players are the problem, not the gems.
    This is what I do as well, using auctionator it will show all of the items with that name and their lowest price, so I can see if a sensei's wild jade or the perfect cut is cheaper. Sadly lately it seems that people have gone stupid and are putting the perfect cuts up for 2-3x the price of the regular blue cuts.
    Warlock Soloing & Progress | FC: 4141-3143-3405 | Metang, Mawile, and Klefki

I think most people don't even know they exist.

I discovered their existence a few weeks ago

I ended up keeping them, and Xmute them (xmutemaster) with Golden Lotus to rare gem. There were days when I prospected 500-600 stacks of GIO, but nowadays I rather buy GL if it's cheap (and grow them on my farms).

Deleted
    When i do the ore shuffle, i use the green quality gems in the following ways:

Orange transmute to vermilion onyx with a golden lotus
    Red,Green and Purple to make the shadowfire necklace, sell the blue quality 415 necks and vendor or DE the green quality ones
    Yellow gems cut and use myself as i have a lot of tanks (crit/mastery and haste all good) then sell the perfects that are left and vendor the normal ones
    Blue gems i just vendor (if i can be bothered i cut them to sell for a little more)

Really perfect cuts as mentioned above, most people don't search for and as i shuffles in the range of thousands of stacks a week you get overwhelmed with the green quality if you don't have a plan.

Whenever I need gems, I just get the cheapest ones. I don't give a rats ass if it's a perfect cut, or a normal rare one.

I agree with the above - it's just cumbersome to search for gems in the AH. When the difference in cost is only ~10-20g, most will just go for whichever they see first.

I don't think that it was a failure, but that could be simply due to the fact that people on my server had no idea how much a stack of uncut green gems was really worth. I was constantly buying red/blue/yellow (occasionally green/purple/orange, too, but no where near as often) stacks for 20g each, cutting them, vendoring the green cuts for around 15g and then selling the perfect ones on the AH for 100g+. It was just stupid profit.

They clutter your armory page. Also even though they might be cheaper than the regular versions at times, there are rarely many of them up at the same time so you are still forced to fill in sockets with regular gems.

One question that springs to mind: why are you cutting the common uncut gems? Should be making them into necklaces/rings then DEing them on an alt or paying an enchanter.

*assuming you're trying to make gold

Quote Originally Posted by Yindoo View Post
    Most of my friends search for "delicate primordial".
    I always search for "delicate".

So the players are the problem, not the gems.
    This. Exactly what I do as well.
    Only the dead have seen the end of war. - George Santayana
    Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. - George Santayana

Quote Originally Posted by Thyranne View Post
    I think most people don't even know they exist.

I discovered their existence a few weeks ago
    Exactly

Problem would be solved if the proc just have you a normal blue quality gem, rather than one named perfect <name of green quality gem>
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Just because Mannoroth and Archimonde are involved doesn't mean it's Legion. They could just be on vacation, demolishing Draenor to build their new summer home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    Did you know that salt has sodium and chlorine in it!!!! Sodium explodes when exposed to atmosphere and you clean your toilets with chlorine!!

As a JC I don't think they're a failure. I actually use the perfect gems for my own gear and sell rare quality ones or bank extra greens when I have enough perfects for metas.

15+ Year Old Account
    Slightly off-topic but this highlights the features severely lacking in both professions and the AH UI.

I can never remember the names of gems so if, for example, I want to cut an int/mastery gem I have to look through every orange gem until I find it. We need a way of searching for gems by stats, both in the crafting UI and the auction UI. That way people looking for int gems would see the perfect cuts listed too.

I'm really hoping Blizzard totally revamp the AH and crafting for 6.0