View Poll Results: Will Wildstar dethrone WoW as #1 MMO (in 2-3yrs time)?

Voters
341. This poll is closed
  • Yes

23 6.74%
  • No

318 93.26%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Etna View Post
    it is from the developer of wow (vanilla and tbc ones) i think they have a good shot on delivering an awesome game but it is going to be a subscription base so probably not, people just have too much money invested in wow to go join another subscription game from the start

It's not the subscription cost that won't draw people to it. Heck, even the focus on being "hardcore friendly" is awesome.

The major problems with the game are:

1) Very bad artstyle
    2) No lore behind it
    3) WAY too unreal

Even if it managed to revive the MMO raiding, people still wouldn't play it because of the above 3

The game looks promising, but at this point I think the only ones that can dethrone Wow is Blizzard themselves.

I don't know enough about it to pass judgement. The one pvp vid I did see wasn't really my cup of tea.

I personally don't think I myself will spend too much time on it. According to some of the comments, the devs told casuals 'tough luck' when it comes to content. It's just a flytrap for anti-casual players, which are too venomous for my liking. It doesn't sound like a bad game though, of course. But I don't think it's something for me, and the fact that I think it'll have a toxic community due to the kind of people it is catering too doesn't make me want it more.

Good luck and enjoyment for those who want to play it though!

10+ Year Old Account
    Think about the reasons people play WoW. Think about it on a broad spectrum, not as a gamer. Don't take gameplay or features into consideration. Think more along the lines of friends and time investment and addiction and the vast amount of things people have available to them if they log in right now.

People will always hype a new game but the fact of the matter is that those things I just listed above don't come from new ground breaking titles with brand new features and tons of innovation. They come from someone dumping YEARS of their life into something, hours a day, days upon days if not every single day. Sure they may be swayed by what they refer to as "boredom" to try another game for a month or two, but eventually the total lack of those things I listed paired with an uncontrollable need for one to be in their "comfort zone" while MMO'ing will have them coming back.

It's far more likely for someone to quit MMOs all together than to find some other messiah MMO to hold their attention for a solid decade to come.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

Quote Originally Posted by The Iron Fist View Post
    No, but Elder Scrolls Online will - heard it here first
    I honestly thought this aswell.. until they said it was gonna be a subscription game.. pretty much 50% of the people I heard were gonna get it have now changed their mind. I probably wont be getting it unless I can tell its actually good.. and wont be going F2P within a year.

The game doesn't look really good.

Many people does not ike space ambiented games, so guess what?

Also, its cartoonish, but in a bad sense.
    Wow is more to cartoon side, but the characters backstore is somewhat serious, that game seems more like League of Legends level of cartoon, and it works for lol because its a moba, where there isn't really a necessity for story and ambientation.

It will fail, as hard as others had in the past...

Seems a nice game, but for what little i saw a little too "inspired" from WoW, and i don't think a game can beat WoW on the same ground.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't even try to start the Wildstar is a possible WoW Killer stuff that will kill my excitement for the game, Wildstar doesn't need it to compared to WoW as killer or it will end up like Rift & SWTOR.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

I think Wildstar is way more interesting than Elder Scrolls. Elder Scrolls Online feels just like the same old copypasta MMO. I don't know, but -- eh. It just gives off that vibe. It sure as hell doesn't make me scream in excitement.

That.will.never.happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    a shill? follow the money!
    /tinfoilhat

When someone asks you if you're a god, YOU SAY 'YES'!

I've read an interview with a Blizzard dev who has been saying that if the competition wants to dethrone WoW, they need to try something seriously different than wow.

Most MMO's coming on the market show the same issues as wow had early on, but back then there wasn't a huge game dominating the market.

If you want to dethrone WoW you need a very special concept that keeps people playing despite those "child issues" that games, especially MMO's, usually show, else you will probably go the same way as Age of Conan, AION, SW:Tor and those other "WoW Killer".

Personally i think that the MMORPG market isn't offering enough players anymore, those that play WoW while likely stick with it and those that once played an MMORPG played probably WoW as well and are possibly fed up with this gametype for now.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    I think Wildstar is way more interesting than Elder Scrolls. Elder Scrolls Online feels just like the same old copypasta MMO. I don't know, but -- eh. It just gives off that vibe. It sure as hell doesn't make me scream in excitement.
    Doesn't even feel like a WoW copypasta to me.

At least a copypasta would try to add something new.

ESO feels like the old WoW clone from the days of ToR and LotRO, where it's WoW but with fewer basic features.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    I wanna know WTF happened to getting Blade & Soul over in the states @_@

10+ Year Old Account
    Highly doubt it, What do people expect Elder Scrolls to be??

It just getting hyped up for no reason.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Doesn't even feel like a WoW copypasta to me.

At least a copypasta would try to add something new.

ESO feels like the old WoW clone from the days of ToR and LotRO, where it's WoW but with fewer basic features.

Well, not like a WoW clone -- but it just reminds me of all the games like ToR, LoTRO and Guild Wars that tried just too hard.

15+ Year Old Account
    In 2-3 years time we might have Titan (and Bungies Destiny), those 2 will do more "damage" to wow than any other "wow killers" have done
    Wildstar will end up like RIFT and GW2 i think
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

Deleted
    Wow will dethrone it self, wildstar won't have a noticeable impact.

it will be like every other "wow killer" mmo in the past 5years, a few people will switch to it for a few months, then a year later they either quit or ocme back to WoW.
    i remember when Rift was being hailed as a WoW killer, didn't go that well.

i wish wildstar all the best, the mmo market needs serious competition, but i can't see one game having a major impact on WoW, subs are bleeding for other reasons, most of the people quitting are likely just bored of the genre.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    I don't think so. I'd love to be wrong, because it's always good for Blizzard to have competition; it spurs them to do better than they currently are. So I don't think it will -- but I do hope that, at the very least, Wildstar does very well and makes Blizzard sweat a little.
    Aslong as Carbine keeps Blizzard on their toes, I'm happy. Trion seems have fallen farther into the abyss & never getting out. So aslong as Carbine keeps up the pressure alittle than all is good.

Competition is good & we don't want another Cataclysm.