Poll: How will updated character models impact you?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Honestly i will enjoy the new revamps of......... races the oldest ones really look .... crappy and belfs could get a little tweeking to

Unless new models offend taste or miss the mark as much as, arguably, female worgen, players will enjoy them and perhaps race-change to the ones they think Blizzard improved the most. Mario Bros. says the "quit" will never happen.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    Honestly, they won't.

I mean, update character models will be really nice and I am looking forward to it, but I think people massively overinflate how much this is going to impact their gameplay. Most of us play with our camera zoomed out and facing over our shoulders, not zoomed in and our faces or our friends' character faces. I bet the portion of most players' game time spent examining their character is low or non-existent.

I can totally see why people are looking forward to the new models, but I'll never understand the people who threaten to quit if they don't get them / or resub if they do.
    We call people threatening to quit over new models shallow, why aren't we giving the same treatment to the people saying it'll bring them back to the game?

At the end of the day, it's new animations that we care about more than the new models.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

I've no idea, and I'll have no idea until I see them, and we find out exactly how they'll be used. I know how other games used them, but I'm not going to assume Blizz will be as flexible as other companies have been about the matter. Blizz has made some astonishingly stupid decisions that they've had to back down a bit from in the past, and something as important as new character models seems like one more seemingly small, but at the same time huge, points they could really really mess up on.

Not even so much whether people love or hate the new models, as how many of us who dislike certain updated models will be stuck with something we may really, really dislike. It wouldn't be hard to please everyone, but it's not hard to imagine someone at Blizz thoughtlessly limiting options because it's simply not a big deal to the person who makes the call.

EDIT: Also, where's my option for "I'm currently playing WoW, looking forward to seeing the new models, but adopting a wait and see outlook"?
    "Bananas, like people, sometimes look different when they are naked." Grace Helbig

Quote Originally Posted by Chirri View Post
    I've no idea, and I'll have no idea until I see them, and we find out exactly how they'll be used. I know how other games used them, but I'm not going to assume Blizz will be as flexible as other companies have been about the matter. Blizz has made some astonishingly stupid decisions that they've had to back down a bit from in the past, and something as important as new character models seems like one more seemingly small, but at the same time huge, points they could really really mess up on.

Not even so much whether people love or hate the new models, as how many of us who dislike certain updated models will be stuck with something we may really, really dislike. It wouldn't be hard to please everyone, but it's not hard to imagine someone at Blizz thoughtlessly limiting options because it's simply not a big deal to the person who makes the call.

EDIT: Also, where's my option for "I'm currently playing WoW, looking forward to seeing the new models, but adopting a wait and see outlook"?
    Except they are considering the choice to keep your old model if you want to keep your old model,... and the models are not limited in options because it's not a big deal to the person who "decides". There is actually a reason they limited the options so much, and it's got nothing to do with apathy. There is a lot of aesthetic balance behind these decisions you're just completely ignorant of and it's annoying the way you make such hostile and vitriolic judgement against Blizzard because you disagree with them. Try looking at the world through the eyes of someone who doesn't hold your own opinions.

It's annoying why the options are so limited to people like us who want very detailed options in character creation, but it was done primarily to keep the momentum of the starting experience less intimidating for people who had never played an MMO, which WOW was in many ways originally designed to appeal to from the start. The "less is more" approach is reflected all over Blizzard's projects, from game design to visuals. Things that are iconic, bold, and quick to pick up that have more to appreciate later about them.

Here's Samwise himself explaining why we have such limited options, stupid reason or not:

We gave very simple choices, and there wasn't any of this 'Is my guy five pounds overweight? Are his eyes sea blue or sky blue?' Don't get me wrong, that sort of thing is cool, but we made a very simple UI and character creator, and that's one of the main things that helped people gravitate to the game.
    http://wow.joystiq.com/2009/11/24/po...in-cataclysm/2
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

10+ Year Old Account
    My character's model, buried beneath his giant suit of armor, will move in even more fluid and lively ways

I'm sure I'll be able to tell, even with my camera hiked 30 feet up into the air behind him at all times.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Look forward to updated models, I play a Tauren.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    Look forward to updated models, I play a Tauren.
    Hopefully they look something close to this.

If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

The only reason I even pick up the game or check these forums is a sense of nostalgia. If the game looked nicer I'd probably check it out again, see what they did with certain characters and that sort of thing. Unfortunately there are so many game play changes that rub me the wrong way, that I'll probably just peek in for a month and leave.

It's not enough for me to go back to being on a six month sub plan if that's what you meant.

That is one awesome image, Yig. Let's cross our fingers.

I know not everyone spends an equal amount of time looking at their character. I am on a roleplay server, where appearance of course matters a lot. I'm pleasantly surprised to see the poll results so far, though.

I'm in the first category myself. I am deeply looking forward to new models, and may even roll some new alts, if I like the updated appearances of certain races. On the other hand, I understand if when people see their game change and go "Well, that's it for me!".

Quote Originally Posted by Yig View Post
    Except they are considering the choice to keep your old model if you want to keep your old model,[...]
    The fact that they once said they might keep the old models is already absolutly disheartening. If they go this route we will only see minor improvements, if any at all to the overall system, because then the new models would still need to support the abyssmal old ones. At best we see their new take on some of the races, but considering the crimes they commited with female worgen and male pandaren, there is a high chances that ones favorite race might look even worse than before.

As for the simple character creator, they were just lazy with that. You can always make an abstraction layer with poorly predefined general options like we have now and tug the real customization away behind a simple button, which drowns you in a plethora of options. Lets just face that the game was already for ages in development when it was released and was still far from done (no one seemed to have thought about endgame content back then). The tiny little customization options back then and the already dated approach in their character models was surely not the big selling point that kept people playing, it was that wow was accessible in an age where other games boasted with bossfights that lasted for days and your everage mmo had exp scaling which looked like an asymptotical approximation, where death ment loaing progress. For those that can't remember, that is like grinding the kilnmaster guys on the grindy isle, but you are not max level yet and they are the only thing you can grind to gain levels, and every time you die to random bullshit you'd lose between 5 and 15% of your current exp progress and you need a couple of hours to even gain 5%.

Almost couldn't care less. Will have virtually no impact at all on anything and people will continue to unsubscribe because of reasons unrelated and even making it looks like some kind of medieval fantasy mmo running on a new CryEngine won't bring back many players and certainly won't bring in more skilled ones.

I love this game but graphics being shinier ain't gonna make a difference. If the sig doesn't make it obvious, I even think the Human model's face is fine as it is right now.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

I can't wait for the MMO-C polls after the models are released that overwhelmingly show no one gives a crap about the models, and they wish Blizz spent the time elsewhere.

I'm very excited to see which races can be druids next expansion, and what will the new night elf models look like.
    You can try to fit me in a box, only to see me burst out of it.

Herald of the Titans Valnoressa's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I can't wait for the MMO-C polls after the models are released that overwhelmingly show no one gives a crap about the models, and they wish Blizz spent the time elsewhere.
    I highly doubt that.

I'm looking forward to trolls, tauren and all the old races having actual hair styles that look like hair and not fishnet spiders on their head.
    Butts.

Probably like "Hey, cool" and then I probably won't think much about it after, considering I won't be able to see the darn thing from all my armor, and neither do I care very much.

Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    Yeah, this is bound to happen. Community demands something > Blizzard makes it > community gets it > community complains. That's the story of WoW.
    Last edited by wariofan1; 2013-10-27 at 08:22 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Just hoping Draenei get done too, would hate to see them left behind while everyone else looks awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Hattai View Post
    Just hoping Draenei get done too, would hate to see them left behind while everyone else looks awesome.
    It would be pretty funny if they got a new model before they got any new lore.

All the same I agree, but I don't think they'll change the things I dislike the most about draenei. I don't know if tail motion, running animations and torso to leg ratios are really on the table.

15+ Year Old Account
    Garrosh's animations are a lot smoother than the original orc model and they said that was what we could expect from the new ones so I'm hopeful.

At the moment the best thing I can hope for is that their off hands are repositioned so that the weapons they wield arent turned in, so many fist weaps on my shaman end up clipping into his leg and it just looks awkward.

Considering my main is a Tauren, I am really looking forward to new models. I stopped playing earlier this year and told myself I wasn't going to resub until new models came out, but... that failed.

I'm worried for humans though, considering how awful even the new ones have been. I don't want Varian's weird eyes or Anduin's... everything.