Poll: How will updated character models impact you?

Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Thumbs up How will updated character models impact you personally?

It's confirmed, new character models are coming. And not a moment to soon, seems to be the opinion of many. This won't just effect players, but the NPCs of the player races as well. Now while many may want awesome new models, there are definitely plenty people that will hate them, even quit over their coming.

So how will this impact you personally? Are you looking forward to it? Will it make you lose your bond with your character and quit? Or perhaps you plan to resubscribe if the models get updated to suit the times?
    Last edited by Caerule; 2013-10-24 at 07:03 PM.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'll have a new model to cover in gear.

As in, 0 impact on me.

I'm still waiting for that Racial Revamp they've been talking about for 2 expansions.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

I'll just be excited depending on how cool they look.. as someone who's been playing since Vanilla I'm pretty excited for new models. I just hope they arent ugly.. but even if they were ugly.. not gonna quit over it.

Deleted
    I'm looking forward to see the new models (and work with them in my case). I got fed up with the looks of my main (troll mage ) so I changed it to bloodelf. I think it's time for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    I'll have a new model to cover in gear.

As in, 0 impact on me.

I'm still waiting for that Racial Revamp they've been talking about for 2 expansions.
    I sort of agree with this. It won't have a huge impact, and people who quit of this are just children.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caerule View Post
    It's confirmed, new character models are coming. And not a moment to soon, seems to be the opinion of many.
    It has been confirmed for a while, and hashed and rehashed on this forum countless times. As excited as I am, I cannot help but feel they are being overhyped just a tad. Yes, I can't wait until my characters can actually emote, express, and move smoothly. However, as cool as it will be for a very long time to come, it's not a game-changer.

And if they mess up my cow girl like they messed up pandas and worgens, it may just be the final straw for me.

Sig by Isilrien

It's confirmed, new character models are coming. And not a moment to soon, seems to be the opinion of many. This won't just effect players, but the NPCs of the player races as well. Now while many may want awesome new models, there are definitely plenty people that will hate them, even quit over their coming.

So how will this impact you personally? Are you looking forward to it? Will it make you lose your bond with your character and quit? Or perhaps you plan to resubscribe if the models get updated to suit the times?
    It's been confirmed they are coming "soon". I remember a few weeks ago a shitstorm happened when blizz admitted they had only done 3-4 models in 2 years. Lazy bunch they are.

We already have been told by GC that they are considering the model updates as purely optional for anyone who wants to keep their old model, not finalized, but certainly the best way to go about it.

I've played WOW since 2004, I stop every now and then for WOW vacations, like I'm currently doing. MOP is my favorite expansion but it's also the biggest burn out I've experienced, but I stopped playing all video games entirely in March, I'm kind of just burned out on all video games for the moment, though I draw and think about them all day everyday. I don't think I've gone this long without playing WOW in my life, but it will be sweet to be back when I do play again. But for all these years, the majority of my game time is spent looking at the world and the character models and appreciating the visuals of WOW. Raiding and PVP was just an excuse to do stuff with those things in those places.

That seems totally alien to some of you, it's actually hilarious how alien it seems to some of you. I am constantly zooming in and out for interesting camera angles taking screenshots and just looking at the stylized artwork in this game's graphics. While crude compared to something from today's model fidelity, it was the first time whimsical "style" was infused into an MMO's graphics at all and it was amazing to see realized with a full sized seamless world of interesting and whimsical scenery, it was a dream come true in so many ways back then I don't think it can be matched beyond a total paradigm shift in gaming.

New models have been the most important thing to me in this game going back to the moment I saw how improved the level of style was in TBC's new models. Suddenly WOW had an almost minimalist art deco meets Pixar look, then WOTLK went even further with massive beefy and chunky models full of solid details not just painted on as skins.

The first few weeks after the release next year I'd guess are going to be a nostalgic smack in the face just watching everyone running around doing the new updated emotes and animations together, re exploring all the old zones again with dozens of new alts. I fell in love with WOW the first 5 minutes after logging in and watching my Night Elf's ears bounce as he ran around in this enchanted atmosphere I'd never seen in an RPG before. I plan to do so again. In the way animals breed.

Most people don't know this but somewhere in a cave in Azeroth you can find the entire line up of Gwar's band members having their way with the mightiest heroes in this game we know and love. Right next to the original hidden Ashbringer questline starter item, which was hidden by Oderus because he's a rapscallion. Licensing conflicts kept them from being a third faction the Horde was constantly trying to recruit but being turned down by while the Alliance just hated them. It's all proven and chronicled in the scrolls of history, in Irvine's giant vault, where Blizzard employees swim in a pool of gold coins and dollar bills.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

Deleted
    can't wait for this, but it's definitely not a main reason to keep playing or not.

I hope they just update textures and particle density so they look newer rather than completely changing the model.
    Intel i5 6600k - Gigabyte Z170X-UD3 - Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4 @ 2400Mhz - Asus Strix GTX 1080 - Asus PG279Q - Samsung Evo 850 500GB SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    I could probably name 100 thing in WoW that needs attention before character models..

Models are good enough as they are.. They are e.g. much better than SWtOR and Rift..
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

Sure looking forward to them. I also hope they bring a few additional customization options, like tattoos (especially for dwarves, Wildhammer ahoy!), etc., and that Blizzard tosses everyone a free recustomization within their race when they arrive (unlikely, but one can hope). If they don't, I might have to fork out the money to recustomize my dwarf for tattoos (assuming they will be an option).

Come to think of it, barber allowing to pick tattoos could work, instead.

I couldn't care less, in fact, I'd kind of rather them not touch it. They don't really need to be updated, and on top of that it's a complete waste of resources and I'd rather them spend that time and money on making something new and interesting, instead of just revamping models that don't really need anything done to them.

It's confirmed, new character models are coming. And not a moment to soon, seems to be the opinion of many.
    Do you have a new source, or are you talking about the fact we've known they are coming for years and are not nearly finished? You make it seem they are coming soon, which they are not, unless you have a new source that says so.

Wait, what???? They've been confirmed?? Where??

Ohgodohgodohgodohgod imma need new pants
    “It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what.”

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Will it change the game at all? No, so it has no affect on me at all. I personally feel it is a waste of dev time to bother with model updates at all in a 10 yer old game

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    Will it change the game at all? No, so it has no affect on me at all. I personally feel it is a waste of dev time to bother with model updates at all in a 10 yer old game
    Dev =/= art department.

No overlapping, no shared personnel, probably no budget influence between each other.
    “It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what.”

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by noralya View Post
    Dev =/= art department.

No overlapping, no shared personnel, probably no budget influence between each other.
    Art department are the ones making the assets for the raids, zones, etc which means if they are making new player models they are not making new raid art for the level devs.

(Personally I'd love new character models, my human female has dranaei/worgen envy )
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

I don't really care for how the characters themselves look since most of them are covered with armor anyways but I am excited to see updated animations for old races.

Deleted
    I'd be happy, hopefully gear would fit better now and animations look cleaner.

A needed and good change if it goes well.