Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Tips on using fans for cooling

So the heat is coming soon and unfortunately we can only afford fans for ourselves and was wondering are there tricks and things we can do to get the most cooling out of them ?

Aussie?

I wish I could offer something helpful. I got nothin' though. Drink ice water and sit right in front of the damn thing is all I know.

A new box fan is more powerful than people realize, nothing special required, just aim it at yourself (and at your computer if you can manage that since they produces a lot of heat).

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Aussie?

I wish I could offer something helpful. I got nothin' though. Drink ice water and sit right in front of the damn thing is all I know.
    Yeah aussie

Sometimes the heat can get so intense that sitting infront of it is not enough...

10+ Year Old Account
    Get large bowl of water, put ice in it. Place behind the fan, it'll cool the air some.

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    Get large bowl of water, put ice in it. Place behind the fan, it'll cool the air some.
    Yeah this can work pretty well.

Have you checked out bunnings? Sometimes you can get a cooler for there. Maybe even ebay.

Also on hot days keep your blinds down.

Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    Behind? Not front?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pkm View Post
    Behind? Not front?
    Either should technically work, presuming it's one of those very simple fans.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pkm View Post
    Behind? Not front?
    Behind would suck the cool air and, moist water vapor into the fan and into the room's new circulation.

In front would do the same, but by blowing.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    It is only hot weather. Just deal with it. As a fellow Aussie the heat isn't that bad.
    Aye mate

Hang out in supermarkets during the day :P

Put your clothes in the freezer.

Wet tshirt + fan.

Other than that, just suffer and curse your lack of A/C, that's what I do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Only open the house during the nigth. As tempting as it is, do not open any windows or doors during the day, and keep the blinds shut too. No sunligth in the house = at least a 10 degrees difference.
    Ecce homo ergo elk

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twoflower View Post
    Only open the house during the nigth. As tempting as it is, do not open any windows or doors during the day, and keep the blinds shut too. No sunligth in the house = at least a 10 degrees difference.
    Depends on the house. The current place I am in has no insulation in the walls upstairs so my room gets hot as no matter what you do with the windows.
    Last edited by Airwaves; 2013-10-25 at 08:10 AM.
    Aye mate

Deleted
    move to the uk - it's never too hot here!

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Save up for an AC
    No kidding. At least here one can get a pretty powerful window unit for a couple hundred bucks. May sound expensive, but christ is it worth it. My wife and I tried to go a summer without AC when ours broke. As soon as it hit 95 in the house we broke down. Went and got one window unit which Immediately dropped the tem about 15 degrees.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Behind would suck the cool air and, moist water vapor into the fan and into the room's new circulation.

In front would do the same, but by blowing.
    Upon reading this, this is all I can think of:

"It's Megamaid sir... she's gone from suck to blow!"

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    Upon reading this, this is all I can think of:

"It's Megamaid sir... she's gone from suck to blow!"
    suck. suck. suck. suck. SUCK.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Here in Oklahoma it gets over 100 degrees a ton during the summer. On the west side of my house I have dark blinds and thick curtains. I keep the all the windows covered on the west side of my house and it helps a lot with keeping cool.

hey bud. another aussie myself. one option is picking up a 2nd hand a/c from places like life line or on gumtree.
    id get a wall mounted type and put it in the windows fly screen and cover the rest with cardboard or plastic.
    another is buying fans and placing then strategically like one would for a pc.
    one at the front blowing in and one at the back going out or around a hall way etc.
    if your still really hot or want to prepare for a hot day, freeze some water bottles and wrap them in a tea towel then place on the skin.
    remember hydration is the key for your body to control its core heat. drink plenty of water and less soft drink.

where about are you geographically? the way you asked the Q seems like you've moved from vic to the cape lol.

happy days