Saving your raid progress

My guild is pretty casual and raids 2 or 3 nights a week. The first night is flex for anybody and the other two is our progression run for the core raiders. We are fairly deep into the raid after a breakthrough (stuck on Nuroshon for 2 1/2 weeks then downed him and 6 other bosses in a week) and now we are a bit divided on how to resume. Some want to extend the lockout and others want to keep resetting since is reasonably early for better gear.

I think the ideal situation would be progression night 1 we start fresh and get as deep as we can into it and night 2 we pick up where we left off.

Is there any way to do this without a basic "dummy" character there to get carried through our latest encounter and keep using them to extend the lockout?

Quote Originally Posted by Orcbert View Post
    My guild is pretty casual and raids 2 or 3 nights a week. The first night is flex for anybody and the other two is our progression run for the core raiders. We are fairly deep into the raid after a breakthrough (stuck on Nuroshon for 2 1/2 weeks then downed him and 6 other bosses in a week) and now we are a bit divided on how to resume. Some want to extend the lockout and others want to keep resetting since is reasonably early for better gear.

I think the ideal situation would be progression night 1 we start fresh and get as deep as we can into it and night 2 we pick up where we left off.

Is there any way to do this without a basic "dummy" character there to get carried through our latest encounter and keep using them to extend the lockout?
    Just do fresh each week. Its much easier and besides even if you make it all the way most likely youll get stuck on garrosh. So just keep doing fresh its way way better.
    I solo stuff. I do deepz. I raid. What else do i want? Oh yeah. loot. give me loot. Cookie for loot?

I'm pretty sure the answer is no: someone has to extend your lockout.

Just keep getting the gear until you easily defeat first bosses up to where you're progressing at, is my advice. (And also I think you should skip flex but...)

It's possible if you're not always running with the exact same people or if someone take an alt.
    Basically, if someone was there during your last raid night but not during the first or the new lockout and is then with you during the second raid night of the new lockout, he'll be able to extend his former id.

But I wouldn't advice you do it for now. If you've only been farming the first two bosses, you'll have a lot of gear to loot on the following and it would be a bad idea not to kill them.
    Usually, what we do (we also raid 2 night a week) is reset at each timer, when we reach a point where we have only time to re-kill what we've already killed but not progress on a new boss, we extend the next lockout.
    For instance, after two weeks at 9/14, we extended and killed Spoils and Blackfuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    I'm pretty sure the answer is no: someone has to extend your lockout.

Just keep getting the gear until you easily defeat first bosses up to where you're progressing at, is my advice. (And also I think you should skip flex but...)
    That's for some guildies. Have about 6 extra people that don't fit in the 10 man. It's like an investment for when some of our core is missing we have viable backups. It's a low population server Horde side and pugging a fill in is not really an option if you want to make progress.

Deleted
    Dont think of it as a rush. You are not harcore, theres no need to clear it all as fast as you can. SoO will be there for another couple of months. Even then hardcore guilds dont extent locksouts either in most cases.

It´s best to keep going fresh as more gear means better progression/getting used to diffrent encounters. I don´t know how you guys are geared but it will help alot. Thok is a wall for most casual guilds and you will need to keep gearing for it. So my advise would be no.

Edit: Also you dont want to miss out on all the trinkets, weapons and tier sets as they make up alot for each class.
    Last edited by mmoc5829d1e13c; 2013-10-25 at 09:58 AM.

Deleted
    What my guild sometimes did in ToT (heroic) was farm 1 week progress the next, meaning we would start a fresh run and kill as much as we can that we have already killed before, spending the remaining time on heroic progress, then the next week extend the lockout and focus entirely on heroic progress. Then let it reset the following week and focus on farm again.

This gave us a good balance of accumulating gear and also keeping progression going. Was the first time we tried something like that and it worked well for us, progress felt much faster than usual once we started doing this and yet we were still getting gear at a decent rate.

Might be something you could give a go at some point

We did the farm 1 week, progress the next plan for much of ToT and it worked fairly well.

Another plan that works nicely was that we have an alt who we bring through farm until we got to the first of the bosses that a reasonable number of people need, then we swap that alt out. The next week we form the raid with that alt and extend forward from where the alt left off. In other words, this week we swap the alt after Norushen and next week extend forward from there. Once everyone has everything they need from Sha, we get the alt saved to Sha and then start extending forward from there.

Once most of the bosses are on farm, its surprising how quickly you can get through them. If people still need gear from early bosses (most likely), then farm them and you will still progress at a good rate.
    You will get the odd week where things don't go so well, but you just take that in your stride. Which is what we try and do

Quote Originally Posted by Orcbert View Post

Always start a fresh ID. The amount of power a week of upgrades gives you can be immense; a single weapon upgrade from 548 (Flex 2/2) to 561 (normal 2/2) can be 20-30k dps for some classes. Trinkets can be a similar individual power increase.

10+ Year Old Account
    Once you're good with the bosses, it takes just around 3 hours at to clear all the way to garrosh. Give or take for breaks and whatnot. Just something to keep in mind when deciding to hold locks.