Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    It might reward exploration, give playes some incentive to go explore.

Stood in the Fire
    Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    Game would be dead...

I get why people criticise flying mounts, but overall they are the lesser of two evils, the greater evil being people quitting the game because it is too tedious.

I really enjoyed my Tauren hunter when I first started playing and the sense of exploration as I ventured out into the barrens for the first time. When I finally got a mount though it was a godsend. There are only so many times you can run over the same stretch of road for 5 minutes before it gets dull. Terribly dull.

Again, by the time I got to Outland and worked to get my flying mount, the "joy" of traversing vast distances over land had gotten stale.

A world without flying mounts is fine as long as you are familiarising yourself with the world. But once you are familiar, it gets boring and frustrating to waste so much time simply moving between points of interest.

I think the way in which MoP handled flying mounts is pretty good and fairly close to ideal. You have the best of both worlds: nice immersion while people are new to the new areas, and then the convenience of flying once the immersion phase is depleted. Zones like the Isle of Thunder, Isle of Giants and Timeless Isle (like Tol Barad in Cata) work very well because they are contained areas of interest.

The issue of "world pvp" mentioned by many is IMO irrelevant. Flying mounts did not kill world pvp. A lack of interest in world pvp killed world pvp. There is one vital ingredient for world pvp, and that is having players from both factions wanting to engage in it. If the person you are wanting to pvp with is not interested in pvp, then why the hell should the game force him into it? That is just bad, self biased, illogical thinking.

From what I have seen, many advocates of world pvp are simply selfish bullies with little or no consideration for other players. For example, the other day, on Timeless Isle I joined in a kill of a rare, and as it died there were 3 PvP flagged retards sitting on top of the corpse, presumably hoping that some hapless victim would accidentally click on them instead of the corpse they were trying to loot. And yes this has happened to me before, on more than one occasion, and it's annoying. I typically end up electing not to even fight back (even if I could win) and then afking while dead for 5 mins because I just want the PvP flag off again so that I can do the things I want without being pestered by pvpers trying to kill me.

If you ask me, the ability to mount up and fly away from a would-be-ganker is great, and one of the best reasons to keep flying mounts in the game. To those who are frustrated by this: sorry, but the person mounting up and flying away does not want to do pvp with you. Find someone who does. Or better yet, join a battleground, a zone designed so that people wanting pvp can find other likeminded people to play with.
    +1
    Totally agree with everything you said.

Without flying Mounts you guys would be playing World of gankers, as everyone with a sane mind would have left already.

Since People in the open world dont really tend to roleplay, Meeting others ratehr breaks my Immersion than increasing it. So based on this i dont really look Forward to seeing other Players while in the open world.
    I must admit tho that i met some nice People in the world, but mostly when Standing in front of a raid instance waiting for my raid to form.

Without flying Mounts you guys would be playing World of gankers, as everyone with a sane mind would have left already.
    Just look 1 week later: People complain about constant ganks. Blizzard give us some tool to avoid that. Problem solved.

I get why people criticise flying mounts, but overall they are the lesser of two evils, the greater evil being people quitting the game because it is too tedious.
    Why? They doubled the amount of people the first year of vanilla since start, ergo, flying mounts weren't the "thing" that helped BC/ICC to reach the 12M of subs.

Again, by the time I got to Outland and worked to get my flying mount, the "joy" of traversing vast distances over land had gotten stale.

A world without flying mounts is fine as long as you are familiarising yourself with the world. But once you are familiar, it gets boring and frustrating to waste so much time simply moving between points of interest.
    Me too at the first epic mount (vanilla). And more than my first flying mount maybe. For the other argument, just put some factions that rules the flying paths or some items or teleports, and you are ready to skip some travel paths without skipping the entire world. This is designers fault if they can't reach that point.

The only solution to this whole flying mount saga is to give our mounts talents and abilities that can be used in mid air combat.

A slow grindfest where you had to run everywhere on ground mounts. Imagine having to run through Kun Lai and the Veiled Stair to get to Valley of the Four Winds from the Shrine. Imagine having to run from Shrine to the southeast corner of Jade Forest only to take a boat to the Timeless Isle...

errr... don't use flying mounts if you don't like them?

i had no idea anyone had a problem with them until i saw this thread just now. i am giggling.

Quote Originally Posted by thedingleberry View Post
    A slow grindfest where you had to run everywhere on ground mounts. Imagine having to run through Kun Lai and the Veiled Stair to get to Valley of the Four Winds from the Shrine. Imagine having to run from Shrine to the southeast corner of Jade Forest only to take a boat to the Timeless Isle...
    while i am all for flying mounts, you're thinking about this wrong.

if there was no flight, the maps would be designed quite differently to account for it.

Flying mounts were pretty unnecessary to be honest, at least in the old world. I can't imagine Northrend or Outland without them.

I would probably enjoy this game more if flying wasn't allowed in the old world.

Quote Originally Posted by catbeef View Post

i had no idea anyone had a problem with them until i saw this thread just now. i am giggling.
    Way to completely miss the point.

Wow.
    You cannot do that while stunned.
    You die.
    You are dead.

If it is a time travel expansion, I really hope they make it so that in the different timezones that you can only use ground mounts.

Yep. That's a main argument on another posts talking about skipping all levels using a button and giving you a lvl 90 with minimum required ilvl. Nobody answered anything logic. So yes, if someone don't want to use flying mounts, he can ride ground mounts, but the problem is still there.

we'd still be queueing to bgs, instances and raids from Orgrimmar and other major cities.

The changes made in Cata were the reason i quit WoW.
    Adding flying mounts to the old world was a bad idea.

I think I'd prefer the game.

Flying really takes out most of the immersion of the game.
    I mean yeah I could in theory run everywhere on my ground mount now but it's an absolutely stupid idea when flying mounts already exist.
    There doesn't really feel like there's much to explore and much to exploring when I can just hop on my flying ghost pony and just see everything instantly.

Back when I was first leveling and before I even knew flying mounts were much of a thing I was exploring every nook and cranny and that /was/ the game for a while. That feeling is gone. Missed it with MoP launch due to rush leveling. (Not making that mistake again with expansion.)

I pine for more "no fly" zones in the future.
    There's a time and a place for everything - and flying doesn't need to be everywhere.

-- Signature by /the/ Crazytaco --

Everyone would rely on bots to garher stuff. There would be nearly no alts and content wouldn't last even half as long as at the moment. Casuals would comply how they are all alone in the world with only bots. Casuals would as well cry because they cannot catch up since nobody is carrying them after they finally finished leveling months after the raiding crowd.

Between the Spiral and Anti-Spiral dimensions.
    What is it with all the topics about this lately? Pretty sure most people agree that lack of flying mounts, at least now that we know what it's like to have them, is a detriment to the game. Nobody puts a gun to your head and forces you to use them. There are very few places that are only accessible through flying, almost everything else can be accessible on foot or via flight path. Flying mounts are fun in the sense that they let you explore every nook and cranny of WoW, not to mention they make farming tolerable. There's really nothing I find particularly bad about flying mounts, other than say Nelf druids being able to fly away if they feel like they are in trouble. From a PvP standpoint that is the only thing that pisses me off about flying mounts.
    "Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right."
    -
    Issac Asimov, Foundation.

Pokémon Safari: Rock Type (Magcargo/Barbaracle/Dwebble).
    FC: 0447-5673-4977
    MAL PROFILE

Quote Originally Posted by Belisaurio View Post
    Yep. That's a main argument on another posts talking about skipping all levels using a button and giving you a lvl 90 with minimum required ilvl. Nobody answered anything logic. So yes, if someone don't want to use flying mounts, he can ride ground mounts, but the problem is still there.
    I don't see what the 'problem' is, no flying mounts would result in more 'player interaction' if by such interaction you mean griefing. When I see threads like this, I cannot understand how anyone that has played WoW still clings to their rose colored glasses. When such 'player interaction' happens on timeless isle, it is usually followed by ten minutes of argument in general chat. Until you can find a solution to the age old problem that 99% of the time 'world pvp' involves somebody who doesn't want to be pvped being pvped, you aren't going to make the general population happy with such changes.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    There is not a flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people. -Howard Zinn
    The stars may be far away, but people still reach for them. -My Grandfather
    Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. -Philip K. Dick

In a nutshell, more effort - but a greater appreciation of the world the designers work hard to make for us.

I prefer ground mounts, honestly. It feels more interesting to navigate terrain and follow the roads to the next town or so - I loved this side of Pandaria levelling. Sure, I missed my flying mout at times, but I appreciated the zone more because I saw it from the viewpoint it should've been seen - looking up at the massive temples and statues throughout the land, rather than flying right over them. Being able to fly over everything is boring and far too easy - you can auto-fly in the direction of your destination and tab out - 5 minutes later, hey presto, you're there.

Currently playing World of Warcraft, the Dragon Age duo, and TES: Skyrim. Not at the same time, of course. I'm not an octopus.

Bloodsail Admiral
    It would be much more boring place.

Newsflash. No one likes world pvp besides a small minority.

The last 7 years??? Well 4 of them would probably been have WOW-less. Introduction of flying mount made the game a lot more fun for me personally. Don't think I would have stayed this long if we did not have flying mounts, because during Vanilla I really got bored with all the time spent wasted travelling over land or flying taxi.... So much more freedom and time was had by having flying mounts.
    Also truly despised the fact that we had to level alts to 90 this expansion before they could get flying.
    On main it's OK, on alts blergh.... that's why I didn't even level them through questng naymore and jst did instancing.... 4 of my toons never even completed jade Forest when they hit 90, because I just could not be asked going through them by ground mount again...

Love them.