Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    And what of the people that think blizzard can do no wrong? is it blind fanaticsm?
    I strongly doubt that that a noteworthy number of such people even exists. I have yet to meet one person that fits into that stereotype. Pretty sure it's one of the completely retarded myths that are completely made up by bitter and self-opinionated naysayers. Like the idea of "casuals feeling entitled to hardcore content".

Quote Originally Posted by .Nensec View Post
    Sure the game is innovating with things, adding in a bunch of technology to push the MMO scene forward. But many have already been done in beforementioned games.
    This is one of the things that Blizzard is sort of known for. They are great at coming up with their own cool ideas to push the scene forward (Phazing is still probably one of the single most important developments in MMO tech in the last 5 years), but they will also happily take ideas that other games have proven to be good, and polish the shit out of them and then stick them into WoW.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blimey View Post
    What bigger competition? There is no competition, at all.

It is constantly declining for a reason, but competition certainly isn't part of that reason lol.
    Sorry I heartly disagree.

Deleted
    ill answer this simply for everyone! PVP go to a MOBA (league of legends) theres nothing else like it for amazing pvp play/balance - and strategic play. PVE (raids) go to WOW. I switch between the two personally and love them both. Thats about all the time i have for gaming and to be honest i would not want to play anymore games.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHellfire View Post
    I strongly doubt that that a noteworthy number of such people even exists. I have yet to meet one person that fits into that stereotype. Pretty sure it's one of the completely retarded myths that are completely made up by bitter and self-opinionated naysayers. Like the idea of "casuals feeling entitled to hardcore content".
    Yep. Blizzard is VERY capable of doing wrong. However, in most cases, that "wrong" is simply an iterative step in an ongoing design process that usually ends in a "right" that makes up for any problem the wrong may have caused.

Also, in my experience, nearly 90% of the "wrong" that people like to bitch about is really not blizzards fault, but the fault of the playerbase misusing the powers they have been given. For example, pretty much ALL of the complaints people have about LFR stem from the community that uses it and not the actual implimentation of the LFR tools and system itself. The only way blizzard could "fix" that wrong, would be pretty much to go complete totalitarian dictator mode on allowable interactions in LFR, which would do more harm then good. Blizzard can not "fix" the community, and the community is the majority of what is wrong with LFR.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's still the feeling of achieving something in the game and that feeling is the reason I'm still playing. Not to mention the lore/atmosphere/humor in the game is delightful. One of the reasons why I never got into Rift was the darkness/random lore. I also was such a sucker for a game so bad combat wise called LotRo (everyone knows how awesome the world of Tolkien is).

Sure the game is not as good as it was but I can already see games like Dota 2/LoL which took the playerbase over after WoW and those games are already starting to fall a bit. Everything loses the first excitement after a while, WoW, MoBa games, drugs, wife... ; )

Deleted
    - The gameplay is polished and smooth
    - The surroundings are detailed and varied
    - The music is amazing
    - There is a ridiculous amount of content
    - It's a social experience

Nowadays the game isn't much better than the competition. RIFT, SWtOR, TERA, GW2, etc.. all have their ways of being better than WoW but in the end WoW has history on it's side. Many players are reluctant ( myself included, damn it all ) to start 'anew'. Dropping all the accomplishments gathered over the year and effectively turning them into dust. This is what keeps many players playing too; they don't want their accomplishments to be futile. Ther's a reason I still walk around with "Death's Demise" to this day.
    I'm sorry, but this is very subjective. I played all this titles and they are nowhere near WoW.
    - Rift has little to no lore, clumsy animations and in general all races just look the same, which makes it feel like you're playing some Asian grinder. Also its idea of multispec failed great, because marketing said that you could make a tank which deals lots of damage while healing everything, a "jack-of-all-trades" build; instead we received standart wow-like talent tree with switching between specs, which were very one-sided. Raids are good, but nowhere near the quality of WoW's.
    - SWTOR has a shitton of bad things, I won't list them all, but for me the biggest issues were yet again the fucking races look like twins; and, in general, with all the species varieties that SW universe had, making six types of same humans with little-to-no visible features? LAME. Lame beyond limits. Not to mention lore stuff; me personally was disgusted by the millions of light-sided empire players. Running flashpoints with them completely ruined my experience. Hard modes are fine, but they are too easy compared to WoW's heroic raids. And, well, after the game went f2p, it basically died for me.
    - Tera: no availability of EU servers for our region. Having to play on US servers with all the ping issues - no comments.
    - GW2: I'd better won't comment this at all. Can tell only one thing: bought the box, played for a month. Never played since. Looks like I'm just not the target audience for this game. I always find something good in every game I play; but this is the only game I could not find anything good in. Clumsy unresponsive controls, meaningless wandering here and there, lack of skills, meaningless character progression, awful animations, awful senceless zergy dungeons... And, the very worst, calling classes "professions"... meh. As I said, not the TA, obviously.

TL: DR - Whatever WoW offers, he does it way better than any competitors, that is why its great. And Blizzard are smart as game devs, smart as hell. While other devs try to blindly copy WoW's mechanics and gameplay, giving us the bad wow clone and failed wow-killer on the receiving end, Blizzard are analysing other titles' interesting gameplay elements and mechanics, and if they find something good, they rework it and implement it into WoW. They always are testing something new, and are not afraid to risk their money to do it. Their products always have high quality and their tech supports are way better than any other game has.
    Last edited by l33t; 2013-10-25 at 12:26 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by l33t View Post
    I'm sorry, but this is very subjective. I played all this titles and they are nowhere near WoW.
    - Rift has little to no lore, clumsy animations and in general all races just look the same, which makes it feel like you're playing some Asian grinder. Also its idea of multispec failed great, because marketing said that you could make a tank which deals lots of damage while healing everything, a "jack-of-all-trades" build; instead we received standart wow-like talent tree with switching between specs, which were very one-sided. Raids are good, but nowhere near the quality of WoW's.
    - SWTOR has a shitton of bad things, I won't list them all, but for me the biggest issues were yet again the fucking races look like twins; and, in general, with all the species varieties that SW universe had, making six types of same humans with little-to-no visible features? LAME. Lame beyond limits. Not to mention lore stuff; me personally was disgusted by the millions of light-sided empire players. Running flashpoints with them completely ruined my experience. Hard modes are fine, but they are too easy compared to WoW's heroic raids. And, well, after the game went f2p, it basically died for me.
    - Tera: no availability of EU servers for our region. Having to play on US servers with all the ping issues - no comments.
    - GW2: I'd better won't comment this at all. Can tell only one thing: bought the box, played for a month. Never played since. Looks like I'm just not the target audience for this game. I always find something good in every game I play; but this is the only game I could not find anything good in. Clumsy unresponsive controls, meaningless wandering here and there, lack of skills, meaningless character progression, awful animations, awful senceless zergy dungeons... And, the very worst, calling classes "professions"... meh. As I said, not the TA, obviously.

TL: DR - Whatever WoW offers, he does it way better than any competitors, that is why its great.
    Thank you for proving my point that you quoted.

You managed to list all the things that produced those games inevitable downfall, the things WoW has the buffer for. The other things that the games are known for and do well are things that WoW is assimilating slowly and making it it's own. Take RIFT and add WoW's combat and talent system. Hey presto, better game right there.
    Last edited by .Nensec; 2013-10-25 at 12:22 PM.

Deleted
    The Feeling when you play, it feels so smooth. No other MMO managed to copy this so far. Thats why i never went past Betas of other Games

Because Blizzard has for the most part vastly improved the quality of life issues that plagued Vanilla.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnabos View Post
    WoW does the majority of things better than other MMO's, and it's playable on computers older than the game itself
    This really, my pc is as old as a commodore 64 and it still plays smoothly.

WoW is simply the best package MMO there is. Lots of MMOs do certain aspects better, but none of them are as well rounded. Establishment is also a huge part of it. An MMO requires a ton of time to get anywhere in, and this just happened to be the MMO that blew up the genre. Most people are unwilling to start over in a new game when they have put so much time and money into this one.

Thank you for proving my point that you quoted.

You managed to list all the things that produced those games inevitable downfall, the things WoW has the buffer for. The other things that the games are known for and do well are things that WoW is assimilating slowly and making it it's own. Take RIFT and add WoW's combat and talent system. Hey presto, better game right there.
    Well, I'm sorry that devs are too stupid to understand that giving players Humans, Humans With Pointy Ears and Small Humans can't be called "we give you three different races". I really loved Fishing in Rift, though, and hope some day Blizzard would steal it and add to wow And the collectibles thing was good too.

Its just, you know, you can not have balanced classes, or you can not have great pve/pvp content, or you can not have a very big world, etc etc; but IF your game has HUGE flaws in the concept design from the very start - it will unavoidably die. WoW is great because it has a very strong basis - races, world, lore. ALL its competitors are failing hard in this; and, in my opinion, these three things are the most important when you create a MMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Tart View Post
    This really, my pc is as old as a commodore 64 and it still plays smoothly.
    As great as the coding in wow is....Not likely it would run on an 8 bit processor with 64K of ram, running Basic.

I know what you mean though. I played for over a year on a 1.2 celeron laptop with 2g ram on medium settings just fine in ssc and bt.
    Apply blizzards model to any other subscription service,you'd be outraged:
    Netflix adds no new movies for a year, you click a new movie, there's a $5 fee.
    You're in an accident, click your onstar button, but there's an addition $20 fee for them to help.
    You turn on your tv only to find all you get are the infomercial channels. Every other show is pay per view.
    See how dumb that model is?

Quote Originally Posted by Vladar View Post
    It's not great, it was great a few expansions ago now they are just bleeding subs.
    Correlation ≠ causation.

Wow is great for many reasons.
    1: its an already established story from the rpg games.
    2: it have 9 years of experience in improving gameplay
    3: Blizzard have huge resources and more manpower then any other mmo game.
    4: It has by far the best PVE endgame.
    5: Mechanics, action works incredibly smooth in wow compared to many other mmos. The way your character instantly reponds to your commands and the way actions is instantly executed in combat is probobly wows strongest aspect. Blizzard as a company have always excelled at gameplay mechanics.

however that being said i dont consider wow to be very great. its just better then the competition.
    Imo wow focuses to little on the rpg part and to much on the instant action/reward massive multiplayer part.
    Last edited by Aphrel; 2013-10-25 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Combat mechanics and response. Most other modern MMO's feel a bit sluggish / simplistic in comparison.
    This is what gets to me when I play other MMORPGs, I feel like I've been spoiled by WoW, but then again it's something most take for granted while playing WoW, including myself

Because it has replay value, and that replay doesn't take a huge amount of time. In other games it takes weeks if not months to hit max level, while in wow you can do that in a day if you're dedicated, or a week if you have a full schedule. Not to mention they give you ways to catch to current players, but also offer the more hardcore plays separation from the more causal crowd i.e., heroic mode raids, challenge modes, and arena/rbgs for the pvpers. Wow does what other games wish they could, keep subs. And what I mean by that is, a lot of times old players will keep up with the game, and resub depending on if the content suits them, while in other mmo's they don't have that connection so when they quit that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    This is one of the things that Blizzard is sort of known for. They are great at coming up with their own cool ideas to push the scene forward (Phazing is still probably one of the single most important developments in MMO tech in the last 5 years), but they will also happily take ideas that other games have proven to be good, and polish the shit out of them and then stick them into WoW.
    blizz didn't come up with Phasing, LoTRO did if I remember correctly, and it was their contribution to the genre.

I do agreeone thing I really like about WoW,is how it throws the stuff it uses together, I love all the races, and their backgrounds.. nothing in it is original, but thrown together in a cool way.

they do do make things cool or at least do things in a cool way quality wise. Not bad for an original product - that's not really original, but thrown from borrowed ideas in an original way