Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Connected realms - fancy way to say realm mergers?

In other MMOs, when you have low population realms, they get merged together. In WoW, when we have low population realms, they get "connected". Is this just semantics or am I missing something?

Yes. Other games do it too.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's almost the same thing.

Yes, you're missing something.

I find their reasoning for doing this instead (keeping original name, server, whatever) extremely stupid but whatever floats their boat. Why not just merge realms and let character names function like battletag names? You would never lose your name that way. They basically already are with this its just a new way to sort names. They always need an exceptionally complex answer to exceptionally simple questions that they over think. Its just what they do.
    Last edited by Erolian; 2013-10-25 at 12:53 PM.

Deleted
    server merge denotes the decline of a mmo, so they need a system like it but not quite it.

What does it matter what they call it, if it achieves the same goal. Would it matter what I called a tomato, potato, or pecan. No because in the end it'll be in your belly either way.

Deleted
    They too too long creating this system, they probably lost more players of dwindling servers than some outdated tabo of merging them would have.

Quote Originally Posted by KungFuFanta View Post
    In other MMOs, when you have low population realms, they get merged together. In WoW, when we have low population realms, they get "connected". Is this just semantics or am I missing something?
    Sort of...

When I played an mmo that was going downhill fast they decided to merge realms. What an actual merge did was move all the characters from one realm to another. By doing this if you were on a realm that was getting deleted you had to rename your character if the name was taken and you lost any guilds or server specific things you had.

Also in this game (Shadowbane) since it was handled so horribly you were only able to keep a tiny amount of gold and what your character was holding. Your bank was deleted. This was a great example of how to speed up the rate in which your game was failing.

They're not realm mergers. Technically it's still individual realm structures that can interact. A "realm merger" would just be moving all the characters from one realm to another. With connected realms, nobody's getting permanently moved anywhere.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Orcbert View Post
    Sort of...

When I played an mmo that was going downhill fast they decided to merge realms. What an actual merge did was move all the characters from one realm to another. By doing this if you were on a realm that was getting deleted you had to rename your character if the name was taken and you lost any guilds or server specific things you had.

Also in this game (Shadowbane) since it was handled so horribly you were only able to keep a tiny amount of gold and what your character was holding. Your bank was deleted. This was a great example of how to speed up the rate in which your game was failing.
    Aye the prefix they added to my character's name in WAR put me off it.

I would say connecting is more dynamic, they are connecting 3-4 servers together already, if a cluster of connected realms ever becomes too populated, they can remove one of the realms in a cluster to a new one. With actual server mergers splitting those people up later wouldn't be as easy, you'd have to offer transfers off that server, which isn't a guarantee that people will take them.

TLDR: Connected realms is like mergers 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Pryre View Post
    They too too long creating this system, they probably lost more players of dwindling servers than some outdated tabo of merging them would have.
    Agreed. But yes they are effectively the exact same thing. This is simply a way to make it look like an improvement to the game rather than accommodating for the declining player base.

Quote Originally Posted by Pryre View Post
    this.. they should have stuck with offering free xfers for certain servers.. either off to unpop a low pop server or to a low pop to even it out..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Turkey One View Post
    I find their reasoning for doing this instead (keeping original name, server, whatever) extremely stupid but whatever floats their boat. Why not just merge realms and let character names function like battletag names? You would never lose your name that way. They basically already are with this its just a new way to sort names. They always need an exceptionally complex answer to exceptionally simple questions that they over think. Its just what they do.
    Yes, because I want people to know me as "Lohhan#1707" instead of "Lohhan of Magtheridon"
    <Semi Retired> - Recruiting for 9.2!

Quote Originally Posted by mahananaka View Post
    I would say connecting is more dynamic, they are connecting 3-4 servers together already, if a cluster of connected realms ever becomes too populated, they can remove one of the realms in a cluster to a new one.
    Actually, they can't, because people from different servers can be in one guild and they would destroy those when disconnecting servers. They already said they are very careful in their connections, because they can't undo it.

And to the OP, I propose you read one of the hundreds of thousands of posts and explanations on this subject, instead of flaunting your lack of knowledge here.

Quote Originally Posted by Turkey One View Post

well this is basickly what they are doin now -_- only guess making it liek thye do requires less complicated code - u know time is money and for making more complicated stuff they would need to hire more programmers it would tkae longer time and in the end it owuld give exackt same resoult -_-

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mahananaka View Post
    I would say connecting is more dynamic, they are connecting 3-4 servers together already, if a cluster of connected realms ever becomes too populated, they can remove one of the realms in a cluster to a new one. With actual server mergers splitting those people up later wouldn't be as easy, you'd have to offer transfers off that server, which isn't a guarantee that people will take them.

TLDR: Connected realms is like mergers 2.0
    Yes and no..

This is a one way trip mostly.
    Connected realms allow cross realm guild, auction house, etc..
    If they decide to cut a realm out you got the problem of seperating people from their guilds.

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoou View Post
    this.. they should have stuck with offering free xfers for certain servers.. either off to unpop a low pop server or to a low pop to even it out..
    but noo =- what they are doing is brilliant from the finantial perspective - they will give players a taste of what bigger realms look liek but they will still keep them below medium pop that way people will be stll paying for transfers to full servers -_-

Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    Agreed. But yes they are effectively the exact same thing. This is simply a way to make it look like an improvement to the game rather than accommodating for the declining player base.
    Well, it's not really the same thing though. A proper server merge would be of lesser quality due to forcing players to name change and all other duplicative issues that would occur.

Connected realms are an improvement on the standard server merge concept, taking 100% of the positives and eliminating the negative technical side effects.

Irrational blind hatred aside, this is clearly a superior design choice. I know it's a lot to ask people to be logical.