Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

When does aff get better than destro?

Right now I've got a 562 ilvl ( armory doesn't show but got galakras normal boots in bags) and I am currently playing destro with the priority of mastery then crit then haste. Most of the heroic guides I've seen from warlocks show then as aff. My guild is currently progressing on 2/14 hc even though I couldn't make the protectors kill.

My question is at what ilvl does aff become the better spec again? Also if I going aff I used to run with the 13737 breakpoint and then the rest into crit, I haven't done this since I was about ilvl 543 and had around 70% mastery. Should I go for the 13737 point and then mastery or go 9778 then mastery?

Thanks!

My armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...éamo/advanced

You have more than good enough gear to go affli. See how high haste you can get without removing any mastery gems. If you can't get to 13737 or close, stick with 9778 breakpoint instead, works fine.

Which specc is better is down to which fight you are progressing, which role your guild wants you as in the fight and how comfortable you are with each specc. As an example, affliction or demonology are both better for protectors, whilst destro and demonology are usually better than affliction on galakras.

I was just about to make similar thread so I will aske here.

I have currently only about 540ilvl and even in gear reforged for affli Im doing much more damage in destro. And when I say much more its about 10-15k dps more while in destro. When I play affli I feel like doing less dmagae than in previous tier even after some upgrades. Was looking at WoL and affli do pretty high dmg but ofc those are people with top end gear.
    So affli is really that behind destro in lover ilevels or Im doing something terrible wrong?

Deleted
    You're looking at affliction guides before the nerfs most likely. At the moment according to sparkypuggz affliction has the worst single target of the three specs. Affliction ofcourse has it uses for bosses as protectors/nazgrim/thok, but overall you're better off with Destro on the other bosses. IF you enjoy affliction more you can still play it ofcourse its not THAT bad

Deleted
    affliction is the best dps spec on fights where you have 2 targets that you can extend dots from, assuming you have ridiculously overpowered trinkets.

Deleted
    How does the normal wf ktt and amp trinket fair as aff? I know that I need to get ahold of the garrosh trinket,

Depends on the fight at this point and not your ilvl as much. Aff and Destro excel at different fights because of obvious mechanical differences between the two.

I play Aff on Protectors/Norushen/Naz/Dark Shamans if I don't need to be on slimes/Thok and Destro on the rest @ 560 ilvl.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fluffypantz View Post
    You're looking at affliction guides before the nerfs most likely. At the moment according to sparkypuggz affliction has the worst single target of the three specs. Affliction ofcourse has it uses for bosses as protectors/nazgrim/thok, but overall you're better off with Destro on the other bosses. IF you enjoy affliction more you can still play it ofcourse its not THAT bad
    It's better than destro on a lot of fights for pure numbers, destro just brings a little more survivability and add burst to the table.

To clarify, Affliction's single target tapers off as a fight progresses. Affliction's main strength is its extremely strong opener. Most 'locks that are getting heroic SoO gear should be able to hit up to a million DPS on the initial opener. Naturally, the shorter the fight, the greater the initial opener is of your overall DPS. You can see this hold true by just looking up the top parses of Affliction locks on WoL; the highest parses are always on fights with only a couple minute duration.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Strifey View Post
    Depends on the fight at this point and not your ilvl as much. Aff and Destro excel at different fights because of obvious mechanical differences between the two.

I play Aff on Protectors/Norushen/Naz/Dark Shamans if I don't need to be on slimes/Thok and Destro on the rest @ 560 ilvl.
    you can do extremely well as destro on fights like norushen, nazgrim and dark shamans(ofc if you dont need ot be on blobs you're prolly right but havocing 2 chaos bolts to the 2 dark shamans for 1,5-2 mill dmg is just so insanely nice). i will agree that you shouldnt really play destro on thok, i can get decent numbers but thats about it.

generally speaking, i wouldnt go afflic until i have atleast the t16 2pc setbonus and 2 SoO trinkets, any combination of BBoY, Bindings or totem would do.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Malifik View Post
    To clarify, Affliction's single target tapers off as a fight progresses. Affliction's main strength is its extremely strong opener. Most 'locks that are getting heroic SoO gear should be able to hit up to a million DPS on the initial opener. Naturally, the shorter the fight, the greater the initial opener is of your overall DPS. You can see this hold true by just looking up the top parses of Affliction locks on WoL; the highest parses are always on fights with only a couple minute duration.
    yeah, afflic's opener is prolly one of its currently greatest strength and i would say its what really saves its dps atm, on longer fights, as you say, afflic looses ground.

Deleted
    i will agree that you shouldnt really play destro on thok
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with Destruction on Thok hc. With Havoc and Unending Resolve glyph, AD and positioning yourself in such a way that you will not get the fixate you can pull off some crazy numbers.

Please don't try to draw conclusive evidence from simulations about how a spec performs in reality. There are plenty of fights where Affliction dominates Destruction, and vice versa. Even on single target fights, the better gear you get and the faster you kill the boss, the better Aff will become.

Deleted
    Also, I think you can make a case for affliction on fights where you need to move or are forced to do so by knock backs and such abilities, not only on fights where multi dotting is king. I'm sure some people will disagree with me on that statement, but these abilities will often interrupt empowered chaos bolts casts, like with 10 stacks of wush/bboy, making you lose over 1.5 million damage, which on most fights, at least on 10 man, can account for 2-3% of your total damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Sepharoth View Post
    Also, I think you can make a case for affliction on fights where you need to move or are forced to do so by knock backs and such abilities, not only on fights where multi dotting is king. I'm sure some people will disagree with me on that statement, but these abilities will often interrupt empowered chaos bolts casts, like with 10 stacks of wush/bboy, making you lose over 1.5 million damage, which on most fights, at least on 10 man, can account for 2-3% of your total damage.
    Indeed, Destro can be heavily fucked over by having to move at the wrong time.

Deleted
    I think the specc you have the most fun with, does the higher dmg (at least after t16 2pc).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorakh View Post
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with Destruction on Thok hc. With Havoc and Unending Resolve glyph, AD and positioning yourself in such a way that you will not get the fixate you can pull off some crazy numbers.
    well technically you cant do anything to prevent fixate on thok and i must admit i dont find AD very useful on thok, KJC gives you a lot of dps during fixates but it really depends on how you kite thok. ofc you can be destro on thok, im usually destro myself coz i normally dont have time to reforge and i know destro can pull some decent numbers.

Thok picks the farthest target from himself for a fixate within his sphere of influence so basically as long as you stay near him without ranging everyone in the raid by a massive amount you'll never be fixated. At least from my experience

According to sims Aff will never surpass Destro or even Demo at any gear point.

In reality Aff will be better for single target farm bosses and Destro will be better for AoE meter padding. Your choice.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by EvreliaGaming View Post
    Please don't try to draw conclusive evidence from simulations about how a spec performs in reality. There are plenty of fights where Affliction dominates Destruction, and vice versa. Even on single target fights, the better gear you get and the faster you kill the boss, the better Aff will become.
    So basically you're saying "use it on farm"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by varren View Post
    According to sims Aff will never surpass Destro or even Demo at any gear point.

In reality Aff will be better for single target farm bosses and Destro will be better for AoE meter padding. Your choice.
    Surely if you're only taking aff because it's best on quick farm fights wouldn't that be padding also?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by almara2512 View Post
    well technically you cant do anything to prevent fixate on thok and i must admit i dont find AD very useful on thok, KJC gives you a lot of dps during fixates but it really depends on how you kite thok. ofc you can be destro on thok, im usually destro myself coz i normally dont have time to reforge and i know destro can pull some decent numbers.
    You can absolutely prevent getting fixated on Thok (which is why I used AD instead of KJC). I didn't get fixated once during progress once I knew the trick.

"Basically Thok selects the furthest target inside a parameter distance, and this threshold distance gets further and further which each fixate. The first fixate picks the furthest person within about 20 yards. The distance increases by about 20 yards each fixate, so for the second fixate he picks the furthest player within 40 yards, and for the third the furthest player within 60 yards, etc."

Depending on your kiting pattern you'll be in range of Thok without moving too much for the entire kiting phase bar the last two far kites. Six havocs from jailor to boss (of which 3 will be SBurns, depending on your trinket procs and ability to convince your melee to stop dps on the jailor sub 20% you can get more) and six full SBurns from bats to Thok is ridiculous damage, especially if your trinkets proc at the right time ^^ Insane AoE damage on bats. To be honest I think Destruction has far more potential on that fight than Affliction.
    Last edited by mmoc5a65aaa171; 2013-10-26 at 08:42 AM.