Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

To human or not to human

I currently have a human DK. But I like draenei so much better. I'm not sure if I do want to race change it. I know human is better, but the dps loss is not much of a concern to me. I am aiming for around 2.2k rating, not rank ones or anything. This should be achievable regardless of race. It is that finding groups might be a lot harder as a non-human.

Do you think this is a legitimate concern? Would you pvp with a draenei DK?

Edit: I'd like to make it clear again that I don't care for racials, I do care for finding groups. Is it harder as a non-human (on alliance of course)?
    Last edited by mmoc7be6787211; 2013-10-26 at 05:32 PM.

Skill>Racial.

All races are rank 1 viable. One might be slightly easier then the other, and when it comes down to the fraction of a fraction difference between players, the racial could be a deal breaker, but unless you are really looking for bleeding edge top competition, it's not an issue.

Play what you want.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can get 2.2 as any race. Problem will be finding a team as a goat.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Illiterate View Post
    You can get 2.2 as any race. Problem will be finding a team as a goat.
    That is exactly my point. How bad is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyonis View Post
    That is exactly my point. How bad is it?
    Not that bad at all, not with decent players atleast. The human racial is hands down the best one for PvP in terms of damage and alot of people just blindly roll human for it. I highly doubt someone would decline trying arena with you just because you went space goat though. I personally preffer Gnome and Nelf myself. (although my mains are horde)

Quote Originally Posted by ophion1990 View Post
    I highly doubt someone would decline trying arena with you just because you went space goat though.
    One thing I have noticed is that people will, in an attempt to eliminate weaker candidates, do exactly stuff like this. "Oh, he doesn't care enough to go human, next!"

That being said, I don't know how bad that is in modern WoW. Long ago I would have one parry/stamina gem on my rogue just to piss off the finicky (this was back when the assumed gem was agi/stamina for that slot- but the parry being so wrong would send some people into fits).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Verain View Post
    One thing I have noticed is that people will, in an attempt to eliminate weaker candidates, do exactly stuff like this. "Oh, he doesn't care enough to go human, next!"

That being said, I don't know how bad that is in modern WoW. Long ago I would have one parry/stamina gem on my rogue just to piss off the finicky (this was back when the assumed gem was agi/stamina for that slot- but the parry being so wrong would send some people into fits).
    I have had a few people telling me that you don't get taken seriously as a non-human, as you point out. But, never having played arena with anyone but my closest friends, I wouldn't actually know it myself. I'm sensing mixed feelings on this subject. Could a few more people share their feelings on this?

People far overrate min maxing. Your race will have basically no bearing on how good you are in PvP, and most decent players know this. Usually weaker players who think too highly of themselves are the only ones who overplay that kind of thing, especially in PvP. Play what you like and you will have no problems.

Ive run RBG's quite a bit. And have never heard of anyone being denied a spot because of their racial. They look at Gear and rating.
    “What was God doing before the divine creation? Was he preparing
    hell for people who asked such questions?” - Stephen Hawking

Deleted
    I see. Thanks for all posts! Draenei it is!

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyonis View Post
    I see. Thanks for all posts! Draenei it is!
    srsly, tMorph it is
    but to be serious Dranei has nothing to suggest but really cute (well, the best female race in the game Id say in terms of appearance, animations and vocal part)...Heal is meh, +1 % hit doesnt give huge space for reforging. If not human I'd go for a dorf or gnome if a melee character...but I play human...well, EMFH has weight, impossible to deny this Good luck with rating!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Evida View Post
    srsly, tMorph it is
    but to be serious Dranei has nothing to suggest but really cute (well, the best female race in the game Id say in terms of appearance, animations and vocal part)...Heal is meh, +1 % hit doesnt give huge space for reforging. If not human I'd go for a dorf or gnome if a melee character...but I play human...well, EMFH has weight, impossible to deny this Good luck with rating!
    Isn't TMorph against ToU?

Edit: Nvm, found it. Not going to use it.
    Last edited by mmoc7be6787211; 2013-10-26 at 01:33 PM.

Deleted
    All Racials are situational. Human Racial gives you slightly better dmg, like 2% or something? or maybe 6% every 2 minutes, depends on trinket, while other Alliance Racials are more defensively oriented. And for me defensive > offensive for almost every class/spec in PvP. Human racial might be good for Sub Rogues. I prefer Dwarf one against any Feral druid, DK, Rogue, Warrior or SP and 10% dmg redution also works good enough. As Drainei you get 30% of health returned over time , which could be your or your partner's live saver ...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Skill>Racial.

All races are rank 1 viable. One might be slightly easier then the other, and when it comes down to the fraction of a fraction difference between players, the racial could be a deal breaker, but unless you are really looking for bleeding edge top competition, it's not an issue.

Play what you want.
    Skill+racial > just skill.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu View Post
    As Drainei you get 30% of health returned over time , which could be your or your partner's live saver ...
    Except you don't, it's 20% and nerfed heavily by battle fatigue. Which makes it useless (something like 0.5% hp/sec). And from personal experience, I wouldn't play with a goat or male nelf just because those races tend to be chosen mostly by little kids.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Illiterate View Post
    Except you don't, it's 20% and nerfed heavily by battle fatigue. Which makes it useless (something like 0.5% hp/sec). And from personal experience, I wouldn't play with a goat or male nelf just because those races tend to be chosen mostly by little kids.
    The same counts for humans and worgen in my experience. Your argument makes no sense to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Skill>Racial.

Play what you want.
    You're contradicting yourself saying every race is r1 viable and then saying unless you're going for the top, it's not an issue. I'd say if you ARE going for r1 glad racials ARE a dealbreaker. Draenei doesn't add anything to a DK except for a weak selfheal, while gnomes for example give you an extra root breaker (which is the only thing DKs do not have), night elves give you a second pvp trinket if you're good at using smeld and human give you possibly more DPS.

But I agree that any race should at least be able to reach 2200, but it will still be harder than if you were a human or for example an orc/undead.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Emfg View Post
    You're contradicting yourself saying every race is r1 viable and then saying unless you're going for the top, it's not an issue. I'd say if you ARE going for r1 glad racials ARE a dealbreaker. Draenei doesn't add anything to a DK except for a weak selfheal, while gnomes for example give you an extra root breaker (which is the only thing DKs do not have), night elves give you a second pvp trinket if you're good at using smeld and human give you possibly more DPS.

But I agree that any race should at least be able to reach 2200, but it will still be harder than if you were a human or for example an orc/undead.
    Very very true. But do you think finding groups as a non-human is harder than as a human? I know Draenei doesn't add anything special to a dk, but I don't care for racials, honestly. But I do care for finding groups.

I've never pvped more than just my weekly cap once in a while and I'm willing to go for it now I don't pve anymore. I know that in many guilds I've been in, I had to explain why I took a certain race. Most of the time they wouldn't turn me down if I was playing a "Blood elf priest, because they look best imo". Not for that reason anyway.

But I have seen a people stating that you should go human if you want to pvp. That people won't take you serious if you don't. Take for example Illiterate 2 posts up saying that they wouldn't take a nelf or draenei player. This is concerning me.

Herald of the Titans DiscoGhost's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    im a horde guy but space goats were my first played and favorite race. human racial vs spacegoat racial gives u a slight advantage. and trust me when i say u will want ever advantage you can get if your aiming for 2.2k
    You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd agree with them not taking people seriously if they play a draenei DK as there are races out there who give you a far higher advantage over other places. But I wouldn't turn down a night elf DK if they know how to use the racial properly.

To be honest it really depends on the server as well. For example on the realm I play with (a highly competitive realm), I think you will have trouble finding partners if you decide to play a draenei DK rather than any other race.

PvP is far different from PvE. Even though certain racials can give you a slight edge in PvE (some more than others) it usually isn't really a deal breaker.

For PvP it's different. If you manage to do a lot more pressure during the opener due to racials, you'll be able to force more CDs used as well which means you can push out more pressure throughout the game. If you manage to outlive CDs due to one racial, it means you won't have to use other CDs in order to survive, which again means you can endure more CDs later on or use CDs at different times.
    Other racials give you a higher advantage vs certains classes like wotf, orc stun resistance or shadowmeld.
    If you don't have to use your trinket for fear it means you can use it for a different CD (Take warrior for example. If you use wotf on a warrior fear instead of your trinket, it means you can use your trinket on a stun after 30-45 seconds).

Then we have draenei. They have a measly healing CD which doesn't really help much in most situations since it's diminished by battle fatigue.

The above reasons are the reasons I would rather take a human DK or a nelf DK or even a gnome DK above a draenei DK. Especially when playing with more inexperienced players who usually do not really know what to do in most situations.

I'm not trying to say: "don't play draenei" but I'm just telling you the reasons why people would be skeptical of playing with a draenei DK. :P