Studio of the Year: Naughty Dog
    Innovation of the Year: Oculus Rift
    Best Storytelling: The Last of Us
    Best Online Game: World of Tanks
    Best Handheld Game: Assassin's Creed III: Liberation
    YouTube Gamer Award: Yogscast
    Best Gaming Platform: Steam
    Best Mobile/Tablet Game of the Year: XCOM: Enemy Unknown

The adult-themed crime game, Grand Theft Auto 5, has won the top prize at the Golden Joystick awards.

Rockstar's controversial game - where players commit crime in the fictional city of Los Santos - was presented with the Game of the Year gong at a ceremony in central London.

Sony's The Last of Us also scooped two awards.

Ken Levine - the man behind Bioshock and System Shock 2 - was honoured with a lifetime achievement award.

The Golden Joysticks are the largest publicly-voted video game awards in the world, with this year more than 10 million people casting a vote.

The Lifetime Achievement is a new addition to the ceremony.

Mr Levine has been a high profile figure in the industry ever since he worked with designer Doug Church, on the first-person shooter, Thief: The Dark Project, credited with being one of the first titles to introduce the concept of stealth into video games.

"The great thing about the still-maturing nature of video games is you get to be inspired by the work of novices and veterans alike," he said.

Continue reading the main story
    Full list of winners

"We're all figuring out day by day exactly what the medium is capable of."

Gaming diversity
    Now in its 31st year, the awards were first given out back in 1983, with the first Game of the Year award going to Jet Pac on the ZX Spectrum.

Andy Robinson, editor of Computer and Videogames, said that three decades on, the awards still "represent the voice of gamers worldwide".

"We've revamped the categories to reflect the diversity of modern gaming and also added the inaugural Lifetime Achievement award, which has made this year's ceremony the most thrilling for us yet," he said.

The Golden Joysticks are not the only big awards for the video games industry.

The British Academy of Film and Television Arts hands out its Video Game Baftas in the spring each year, although the majority of their awards are selected by a panel of experts, rather than a public vote.

Grand Theft Auto 5, released last month, quickly became the fastest selling entertainment product ever, taking just three days to generate $1bn (£620m) in revenue

coooooooooooome PC ! without a doubt the best game of the year and beyond!

I'm ok with all of these except the best handheld. I will say GTA 5 is amazing, but I think The Last of Us was just amazing. I've replayed it 5 times and counting already whereas after GTA5 ended I haven't felt much of a reason to go back to it.

"The biggest reward with over 10 million voters"

Aka a popularity contest. Not saying i necessarily disagree as i have not played half of the games as I am a part of the superior PC-master race, but i don't really give a rats ass about popularity contests. Heck if we had popularity contest to decide the "best musicians" Justin Bieber and One Direction or something would most likely win.

To be honest, i care more about stuff like Angry Joes top 10 of the year than some random popularity contest with a lot of voters.

Deleted
    This is not at all surprising. One of the best games that I have ever played.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zogarth View Post
    "The biggest reward with over 10 million voters"

Aka a popularity contest. Not saying i necessarily disagree as i have not played half of the games as I am a part of the superior PC-master race, but i don't really give a rats ass about popularity contests. Heck if we had popularity contest to decide the "best musicians" Justin Bieber and One Direction or something would most likely win.

To be honest, i care more about stuff like Angry Joes top 10 of the year than some random popularity contest with a lot of voters.
    Without GTA the PC is nothing.

Deleted
    why is COD in the hall of fame anyway its the same fucking game every year 99% of people who buy is for zombies and online who the fuck plays campaign, and it gets the hall of fame well its not suprising since they will spam vote on COD with all the little kids that play that terrible game

Quote Originally Posted by Therionn View Post
    Without GTA the PC is nothing.
    Well the fourth one sucked, and from what i can see it just looks like a above average game that is wayyyy over-hyped.

Problem with this list... all the most well known games. There are a lot of unknown, well made games by lesser studios that beat the shit out of all these games. Which is probably why I don't really pay attention to this type of shit.

Best Multiplayer: Payday 2

I think that one deserved it.

Doesn't deserve it in the slightest. Online has been the worst clusterfuck I've ever seen in gaming, and it's still going on.

Wow that's so surprising. Not. Anyone who played the game knew this was coming.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Wow that's so surprising. Not. Anyone who played the game knew this was coming.
    Realy? I didn't think it was that great. And it didn't have any replay value. It was good but not what I would expect from something that gets named game of the year. That being said there wasn't that many great games this year with the gap between this and next gen.

I would say last of us. But because it's an exclusive it doesn't deserve it.
    Last edited by Airwaves; 2013-10-26 at 04:47 AM.
    Aye mate

Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    Realy? I didn't think it was that great. And it didn't have any replay value. It was good but not what I would expect from something that gets named game of the year. That being said there wasn't that many great games this year with the gap between this and next gen.

I would say last of us. But because it's an exclusive it doesn't deserve it.
    Gears of War (Xbox exclusive) won this before.

Not that I really think this award even means anything. I mean Golden Joysticks list, not "Game of the Year."

Quote Originally Posted by drwelfare View Post
    Best Multiplayer: Payday 2

I think that one deserved it.
    It's pretty cool that a 14m($2.15m) SEK production wins it.
    Waiting on their financial report. I've bought roughly 40k shares over the last month, with a GAV(average prize) of 0.65 SEK, their change of strategy makes a sustainable profit of 100 million SEK likely which should mean the share is traded at roughly 50% of it's real value atm. Speculation I know, but I think Starbreeze got a bright future ahead of them. Good fundamentals.
    Last edited by Jackmoves; 2013-10-26 at 06:03 AM.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

What a boring, predictable list. Obvious hyped-up award baits and industry darlings and nothing else.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

Im dissapointed Francis did not win YouTube Gamer Award
    But well deserved wins for Naughty Dog and GTA

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    While GTA V is fantastic (still playing it online) Last of Us was my personal favourite this year. Glad to see it get mentioned.

10+ Year Old Account
    It wasn't that good, I didn't even finish it because I got bored.

I can't even motivate myself to play GTA 5 past the 25% mark. Call me stupid, but I don't really like the story. The fact that I have to share my attention with other characters feels weird to me.

And then they say the gaming industry lacks innovation.

Well The Last of Us had innovation, where the fuck is it's award. And after that they whine because there aren't any new IP's. Well if I was to create a new IP and no one would give a shit about it then why bother and create another new IP?

A bunch of fucking hypocrites.