[Mage] Displaying Combat Damage Numbers (Floating Combat Text)

Can anyone explain the benefit of displaying combat numbers is? Scrolling battle text, enemy damage taken combat text, normal damage numbers showing, whta is the point?

I see it as bloat and nothing more. Completely and utterly useless as far as pertinent information goes for a raid member/raid leader. What exactly is you seeing a 350k crit in real time going to do (or a 350k crit heal, etc etc).

The only instance that even SORT of makes sense is tanks to see damage taken, but by the time it happens, it is too late to do anything about it, so WHY display it? If you want to know what damage you took or what damage you did, just check Skada/Recount AFTER the encounter.

I, myself, do not display ANY numbers on my screen whatsoever (besides Skada healing/damage meters in bottom right because I am RL). Literally none and I love the screen real estate it provides me.

Thoughts?

At least for fire it's because the default blizzard notifications for heating up and pyro are .5 seconds delayed. Just a sound could do, but I like showing fireball/pyro crits for a visual cue as well as an audio cue.

beyond regular numbers above the target (something that is built into the game, meaning no limited by cpu) i see no reason to have any kind of scrolling battle text addon. procs are easily done with filters. these addons are devent for sound triggers, but nothing else imo. the only reason is maybe to recognize early when u are doing increased damage.

Floating combat text isn't just damage and healing numbers, I use msbt and turn off all damage and healing and use it just to watch procs and trinkets so I can see when I gain and lose buffs or debuffs. And as I mentioned previously, I like my floating yellow damage text because crits make me giddy and it just makes me comfortable since it is what I am used to. A lot of ui choices in this game come down to how you feel while you are dpsing, if you are used to something, useful or not, the psychological effects of having it there or not can play a big role in your performance.

Quote Originally Posted by voltaa View Post
    the psychological effects of having it there or not can play a big role in your performance.
    ditto. even only seeing crits to determine how much you crit over a certian build is worth it imo.

I have MSBT set up specifically for crits (and a sound to go with them) but I still love the yellow damage text, obviously it's entirely psychological but it makes it a lot more fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    It lets me see how much damage my spells are doing, which is always nice to know and I love seeing big numbers.

I have this bug where in some places of Dungeons/Raids my floating combat text disappears and it's so annoying to do a boss without seeing how much damage I'm dealing.
    Especially if you're new to the boss and at some point he goes immune for example, I just wouldn't notice it.

On my hunter, I find FCT useful for seeing how many targets are being hit by multi-shot or explosive trap, allowing me to move appropriately to line up more targets if necessary. Sure, multi-shot is also represented by X bullets/arrows flying from the weapon, but that assumes you can see it amidst all the other sparkle spam going on.

I don't care about the _actual_ numbers, it is more just an indication that it happened at all. I'd be just as happy with a '+' symbol or something indicating what took damage, but I don't know if any mod does this. This is also why I use the built-in FCT for this, rather than MSBT. Though I do like MSBT for other things like incoming healing/non-damage numbers (which can be placed in a non-obtrusive area).

I admit when my pyro crits one after another and those numbers get bigger and bigger, it just makes me happy and pushes me to do better. If I did not see the numbers I think I'd have a hard time gauging my performance but that is just me. Meters are cool and all but man when you get those 500+ crits they are just fun.

i am blugatti and i do what i want, i even switched to a full mastery build and still smashed meters just cause i felt like it
    #1 fire mage US. u mirin'?
    "Aaah ah ah ah ah ah ah yea, f*ck me, ah, f*ck, aah yeah"
    - Jenna Jameson

Speaking of unnecessary, you actually made a new thread for this? Just copy and pasted your post too I see. I'll say here what I said in the other, don't confuse your personal preference with what is and isn't necessary. Many, many of the best players in the world show numbers so it is apparently not a necessity that they be hidden.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenbud View Post
    Speaking of unnecessary, you actually made a new thread for this? Just copy and pasted your post too I see. I'll say here what I said in the other, don't confuse your personal preference with what is and isn't necessary. Many, many of the best players in the world show numbers so it is apparently not a necessity that they be hidden.
    voltaa asked I move it so as not to be off topic. L2read before attempting to degrade?

Quote Originally Posted by Dusteyy View Post
    voltaa asked I move it so as not to be off topic. L2read before attempting to degrade?
    He didn't ask, you made a snarky post asking if you should make a new thread to which he replied with "that would be fine". This whole post is an attempt to degrade, the language you chose and words you emphasized make this a personal attack on people who have combat text when in reality you are no one to judge, just another subpar fire Mage.

User was infracted for this post
    Last edited by voltaa; 2013-10-27 at 04:13 AM.

Well this didn't take long to escalate. Might as well lock this thread

Never should have been made in the first place.

Thread closed. Let's try to get along and not sling insults every chance we get. We're supposed to be a mage community, working together to share thoughts opinions and ideas. This trend of every second thread needing to be closed because we can't get along needs to stop, it is toxic to the mage community as a whole.