How to do mean sprites on the timeless isle?

I've tried to do the little mean sprites solo event type thing multiple times with my rogue on the timeless isle. I usually end up dying and just in general do a piss poor amount of damage. Trying it as combat and the damage just doesn't ever get there probably because nothing really lasts that long so can never really build up CP. Watched my wife on her elemental shaman just do stupid dps on them and kill a crap ton. Same with when I play on my monk I just go brewmaster and kill everything without taking any damage and doing really good aoe. Heard warlocks can pull 1m dps constantly for that whole minute.

Personally I just struggle so much on that fight and half the time end up dying anyways. Any rogues have any tips on how to do that? Or is it just something that I have to resign myself to knowing being a rogue on that is going to suck?

You're right to say that it's tough for rogue because no target stays alive long enough to do anything worthwhile - therefore combat might be the worst option since its cp generation is slow enough already, esp. since you'll have blade flurry up. Best success I've had is FoK spamming as assassination, but since I've dropped it for sub/combat, I've actually found it easier to just FoK/CT spam as sub.

As for surviving, you've got a ton of things at your disposal -

Your cds: smoke bomb, evasion, combat readiness, CoS, RECUPERATE, feint + elusiveness talent... Prep! Glyphed redirect is also nice to build enough cps for a recup or whatever, since your target dies in one or two shots.

External isle stuff: the faintly-glowing herb (from sprites) and strange glowing mushroom (damp shamblers) provide another recup; all the food buffs, esp. the timeless nutriment buff (5% more stam!), the Yu'lon shrine buff (20% more stam!), and the dew of eternal morning (chance to heal on hit); even the 5 min. ticking heal from the flowers up in the Ordon sanctuary...

Other things: overgrown lilypad! (bear growl is tremendous), hpot.

If you stagger all of your cds you should be more than fine, assuming censer people leave you alone. My server has a rogue that likes to grief people the second they start the crystal event ^^; I've also had people stop as they were passing and heal me...

Another extra timeless isle thing you can get are the 3 brews from the spectral residents of Pi'jiu. You can have 3 active at the same time, one of each type (brewmaster, mistweaver, and windwalker).
    Tishelle (Rogue) - Tisha (Mage) - Tishandra (DK) - Tisharia (Priest) - Tishanna (Warlock) - Tishie (Monk) - Tishette (Boosted Warrior )

So really it just sucks ass as a rogue and there's nothing to do about it aside from use small gimmicks but nothing really game breaking huh?

Biggest thing I'd say is bring a healer friend.

When I don't have a healer, I use the 3 island buffs, I try to get one of the Celestial buffs, and I'll spec Leeching/Combat Readiness. Evasion Prep Evasion CR will get me through a lot of it, Smoke Bomb helps too. I have to be careful with it, which sucks, compared to other classes.

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't done the event on my Rogue yet, but has anyone had success using Marked for Death? I love using that since it resets the CD everytime the mob is killed. So basically you have an infinite amount of CPs until there's no more mobs.

MfD -> Recup, MfD -> Envenom, pop shadow blades, spam FoK, use Crimson Tempest often, keep talented feint rolling and use defensive CDs when necessary, etc.

Doesn't seem that complicated. Just make sure to use some kind of macro to keep auto attacks going since you're target switching so much.

Obviously grabbing a few of the Island buffs would help too, especially the healing proc one.

Quote Originally Posted by Warstar View Post
    So really it just sucks ass as a rogue and there's nothing to do about it aside from use small gimmicks but nothing really game breaking huh?
    I wouldn't say it sucks. I kill more sprites than most other classes I see doing the event. Most of the gimmicks will just let you kill more. You still need to space out your defensive cooldowns effectively and only pull as much as you think you are capable of handling.
    Tishelle (Rogue) - Tisha (Mage) - Tishandra (DK) - Tisharia (Priest) - Tishanna (Warlock) - Tishie (Monk) - Tishette (Boosted Warrior )

Yeah rogues absolutely suck at solo AOE stuff. I don't even bother to do that one on my rogue.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've not had any problems out of any mob on the isle, granted I started this patch at an absurd ilvl (almost full BIS from ToT) and it's only gotten easier with gear. I found it really painful to do as Combat though, once I swapped after getting weapons. Assassination was MUCH easier to deal with almost everything on the isle.

Our defensive cooldowns are small gimmicks now? I know part of your discourse usually goes around the lines of 'my rogue doesn't play like a DK, ergo rogues suck', but this is just silly. Seems to me like most rogues are doing well on this sprite thing; in fact I very rarely do do it on anything but my rogue.

You are a rogue, you have plenty of free gcds to use other fun stuff (as the herbs/mushrooms); something other classes won't do. Mushrooms even increase regen, boosting your fok spam quite a bit.
    You are a rogue, you are expected to take advantage of every little detail; first place I noticed anyone stating that the island buffs are a huge benefit was in this very rogue board.
    You are a rogue, learn your class, learn how and why other people enjoy this class.

Friendly advise: maybe you could start and spend some quality time with your guy: seems to me like you lack much of the rogue mindset/playstyle. I know you usually take your time to write your posts and try your best, but you have so many shortcomings that it's hard to take you seriously.

infracted: trolling
    Last edited by Kael; 2013-10-28 at 05:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nextormento View Post

Friendly advise: maybe you could start and spend some quality time with your guy: seems to me like you lack much of the rogue mindset/playstyle. I know you usually take your time to write your posts and try your best, but you have so many shortcomings that it's hard to take you seriously.
    Whoa there..

Get the overgrown lilypad. Growl is great for survival.

Quote Originally Posted by nextormento View Post
    Our defensive cooldowns are small gimmicks now? I know part of your discourse usually goes around the lines of 'my rogue doesn't play like a DK, ergo rogues suck', but this is just silly. Seems to me like most rogues are doing well on this sprite thing; in fact I very rarely do do it on anything but my rogue.

You are a rogue, you have plenty of free gcds to use other fun stuff (as the herbs/mushrooms); something other classes won't do. Mushrooms even increase regen, boosting your fok spam quite a bit.
    You are a rogue, you are expected to take advantage of every little detail; first place I noticed anyone stating that the island buffs are a huge benefit was in this very rogue board.
    You are a rogue, learn your class, learn how and why other people enjoy this class.

I never said "rogues suck" so you should open your eyes and actually read into stuff before you turn into a jerk bashing people.

The fact is that most of the classes out there can solo this event fairly easy without having to do anything special like other's have said in this thread. And, most of the people in this thread agree with me so according to you all these other people are bad rogues as well. And as other's have stated this is a very difficult event for rogue's to accomplish which is why I made this thread to look for advise because where it's extremely easy to face roll on all of my other 90's I've had more trouble with this on my rogue than on my other classes that around 30-40 ilv lower.

Gimmicks would be doing stuff like the overgrown lilypad which is a rare drop that you have to farm for and isn't exactly as easy as hopping over to the AH to buy a flask to get. Getting fully "raid" buffed with more potions and things than we used to back in vanilla and getting every possible buff out there. Getting a friend to sit with you for an hour while you camp the spawn to heal you which is wasting someone else's time. Things like these that other classes don't need to do are what I'd call gimmicks.

Friendly advise: stop being a dick and try to post constructive criticism rather than bashing people on a forum. It makes you look like an ass.

infracted: flaming
    Last edited by Kael; 2013-10-28 at 05:56 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Somewhere between here and the sick, twisted world inside my head
    You just kill them it's easy.

I never said "rogues suck" so you should open your eyes and actually read into stuff before you turn into a jerk bashing people.

The fact is that most of the classes out there can solo this event fairly easy without having to do anything special like other's have said in this thread. And, most of the people in this thread agree with me so according to you all these other people are bad rogues as well. And as other's have stated this is a very difficult event for rogue's to accomplish which is why I made this thread to look for advise because where it's extremely easy to face roll on all of my other 90's I've had more trouble with this on my rogue than on my other classes that around 30-40 ilv lower.

Gimmicks would be doing stuff like the overgrown lilypad which is a rare drop that you have to farm for and isn't exactly as easy as hopping over to the AH to buy a flask to get. Getting fully "raid" buffed with more potions and things than we used to back in vanilla and getting every possible buff out there. Getting a friend to sit with you for an hour while you camp the spawn to heal you which is wasting someone else's time. Things like these that other classes don't need to do are what I'd call gimmicks.

Friendly advise: stop being a dick and try to post constructive criticism rather than bashing people on a forum. It makes you look like an ass.
    Well, you did say "So really it just sucks ass as a rogue."

The other classes that you are seeing solo the event with ease are likely using the same isle buffs and 'gimmicks' we are suggesting to use as a rogue. I know that I use all 3 of the drops that buff you (dew, crystal, book) and the buff from one of the shrines on every character i have while running around doing stuff on the timeless isle.

People here have made many helpful suggestions, and all you have done is dismissed them all off as 'gimmicks'.

Closing this before it devolves further into personal arguments and moves farther and farther away from real discourse. The major stances on the question of whether rogues are good at this have been established, and tips for clearing it as a rogue have been given. Hijacking this post (sorry) because I don't see a good reason to bump this. -Kael
    Last edited by Kael; 2013-10-28 at 05:58 AM.