How to get started in PvP?

So I tried to look for a sticky in it, but I wasn't able to.

I have quite a few characters near 90 or at 90 of multiple classes.

I haven't really 'seriously' pvp'ed since the first season of BC, which is extremely hazy.

I'm honestly at a loss where to start?

Do I just pick up crafted armor from the AH & go into BG's?

Do I just tough it out in BG's until I get some honor gear?

Do I find someone for arenas even if we have no PvP gear and just jump into 2's or 3's?

As you can see I'm completely lost. I have enjoyable classes in PvE, but I probably find something different in PvP fun.

Is there a meta currently for arena's & RBG's? If so, what is it or the general consensus of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Angarin View Post

I haven't really 'seriously' pvp'ed since the first season of BC, which is extremely hazy.

Do I find someone for arenas even if we have no PvP gear and just jump into 2's or 3's?

As you can see I'm completely lost. I have enjoyable classes in PvE, but I probably find something different in PvP fun.

Is there a meta currently for arena's & RBG's? If so, what is it or the general consensus of it?
    Regarding gear, it's easier than ever to get started. You can easily go into random BGs with your PvE gear and do just fine, or if it's good enough, even do some low end arena. If you're just getting started, don't worry too much about rating and min/maxing yet. Just focus on playing and deciding what you enjoy and what you're good at.

if u have gear thats 500ilvl + you should be alright, id rather do arenas (u will have a semi-hard time against pvp geared) but ull get ur conq cap easy n gear up in conq gear.
    2s usually is the way to go until u can make up a few pieces of pvp n then do some RBGS (win or loss ull get conq 400per win and 150ish per loss i guess)

How to enter PvP on a freshly dinged 90 and not hate the world...

1.) Queue into a specific scenario called arena of annihilation. You probably have a crappy leveling weapon, the quest reward for this scenario is a 450 ilvl weapon. It takes about 15 minutes tops.
    2.) Follow the timeless isle questline to the timeless isle. Literally walk around the island and pick up ilvl 496 pve gear off the ground. Follow some groups around to kill rare mobs. Do not kill a celestial yet.
    3.) While looting boxes and rare mobs on the timeless isle you probably have a decent set of 496 gear and at least 50 coins. Go back to summer's rest and do the quest to get 3 warforged seals.
    4.) Go back to the timeless isle and kill a celestial and use a warforged seal for an extra roll. Most likely you will get gold, but you could get some 522 pvp gear or some 553 pve gear.
    5.) Queue into Random BGs, and while you are doing this keep an eye out for tol barad and wintergrasp. It is old content but tol barad has a weekly quest for 300 honor, and a win gives you 500 honor. Wintergrasp gives you roughly 400 honor a win and has weekly quests as well for around another 200 honor.
    6.) If you are alliance, direct queue into AV. If you are horde, don't put AV on your ignore list because even though you lose the games are fast and the honor is good. Traditionally you should blacklist Isle and which ever other one you don't like.
    7.) Grind out 7250 honor to purchase your 498 ilvl weapon. On your way there use excess honor to fill in gear gaps from your missing 496 pieces from timeless isle. Try to go for set pieces first.
    8.) Once you have your 498 weapon, time to go into arena and get capped. Find someone in trade to do 2s with, but be upfront that you don't have gear. Do double DPS only. Don't get frustrated at losses, you want fast games because all you care about is points.
    9.) Continue BGS until you have full 496 pvp gear and continue arena capping.
    10.) congratulations, you dinged 90 and got a full set of 496 gear and a piece or two of 522 gear in less than a week.

Deleted
    Sometimes when you are on a losing streak in BG's (there are bad days) it's faster to spam hc dungeons and normal scenario's and convert the JP to honor.

Also, you can open some chests on the timeless isle and maybe get some nice trinkets/rings/cloak/neck as an addition to a crafted set to start off with

My arena partner and I carry each other's toons through 2s for cap, it's really not too hard if you just abuse CCs, try to get damage where you can and let your partner do most of the damage work.

I got my Lock almost a full set with 4 pieces of grievous gear in a day. Of course I was camping the Honor rares in Kasarang Wilds too, so that helped. You can easily do it, just don't expect competence in the BGs. I swear they get worse every patch > .>.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrean View Post

1.) Queue into a specific scenario called arena of annihilation. You probably have a crappy leveling weapon, the quest reward for this scenario is a 450 ilvl weapon. It takes about 15 minutes tops.
    2.) Follow the timeless isle questline to the timeless isle. Literally walk around the island and pick up ilvl 496 pve gear off the ground. Follow some groups around to kill rare mobs. Do not kill a celestial yet.
    3.) While looting boxes and rare mobs on the timeless isle you probably have a decent set of 496 gear and at least 50 coins. Go back to summer's rest and do the quest to get 3 warforged seals.
    4.) Go back to the timeless isle and kill a celestial and use a warforged seal for an extra roll. Most likely you will get gold, but you could get some 522 pvp gear or some 553 pve gear.
    5.) Queue into Random BGs, and while you are doing this keep an eye out for tol barad and wintergrasp. It is old content but tol barad has a weekly quest for 300 honor, and a win gives you 500 honor. Wintergrasp gives you roughly 400 honor a win and has weekly quests as well for around another 200 honor.
    6.) If you are alliance, direct queue into AV. If you are horde, don't put AV on your ignore list because even though you lose the games are fast and the honor is good. Traditionally you should blacklist Isle and which ever other one you don't like.
    7.) Grind out 7250 honor to purchase your 498 ilvl weapon. On your way there use excess honor to fill in gear gaps from your missing 496 pieces from timeless isle. Try to go for set pieces first.
    8.) Once you have your 498 weapon, time to go into arena and get capped. Find someone in trade to do 2s with, but be upfront that you don't have gear. Do double DPS only. Don't get frustrated at losses, you want fast games because all you care about is points.
    10.) congratulations, you dinged 90 and got a full set of 496 gear and a piece or two of 522 gear in less than a week.
    Grizzly Hills and Isle of Thunder PVP dailies are a good boost too, and don't forget the rares in Domination Point/Lion's Landing (they're worth 250 hp each)

Remember to take advantage of AV and SSM battleground holidays if you're respectively Alliance or Horde - they're quite imbalanced and you'll win most of the time

10+ Year Old Account
    I would get a full set of Tyr before I went looking for a sucker in trade to do 2s with you, unless it's a friend willing to carry you.

First thing you should probably do is go to Krasarang Wild and do the quest to unlock the rare spawns. Takes like 5 minutes, but will save you hours of honor grinding. Then go camp them. Other than that, do Wintergrasp and Tol'barad when they're up, lots of honor there. And just grind out BGs until you get full Tyrannical.

After that, you can do some 2s/3s to cap and get some Grievous. I wouldn't bother doing arenas before you get Tyrannical, you'll have to lose a ton of games before you start winning and it's just a waste of everybody's time.

Other then that, good luck with BGs. They kinda suck and they're incredibly boring. Probably easiest to just AFK your way through them, that's usually what I do. I probably wouldn't bother with buying the crafted gear, it won't help much.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrean View Post

@OP. This is exactly what I used to gear up (on my 4th 90 now). The only addition i'd make to this is as some mentioned go to Krasarang wilds and do the 3 or so quests at Domination Point which will phase you into an updated 'zone' of Krasarang. Go to Lion's Landing (extreme east) and find the base with lots of alliance mobs. Kill the rare mobs (with skulls on mini map) and you get 275 honor per kill + some extras and they're on a 45 min respawn timer. Though if you're fresh 90 bring a friend as they hit quite hard.

The above + Krasarang rares should be a sticky

Yeah, I guess I should mention that I am horde on a high pop realm so the rares are generally a waste of time as they are camped. If you are alliance it is better to just queue for BGs because they will be mostly instant, but if you are horde you can go to the other zones and get some pvp rewards while you wait in queue. As horde I mostly spend my time on timeless isle looting coins while waiting in queue so I won't have to run any dailies to get my warforged seals each week.

Other options to help you along of course are to purchase some 476 crafted gear in the set piece slots as the 2 and 4 piece bonuses are generally pretty good. I should also mention this is my gearing strategy for a new roll.

1.) Use my first 1750 Honor to purchase CC trinket.
    2.) Use my next 1750 honor to buy either on use or proc trinket depending on class. This gives you a nice set bonus to reduce damage taken and some nice pvp power.
    3.) Save up my next set of honor for the weapon.
    4.) Next purchase will be shoulders, they are in the cheap set price and don't drop off celestials and have a gem slot as well as enchant. Good upgrade.
    5.) Next purchase is helm. They don't drop off celestials and give 2 piece set bonus and meta gem.
    6.) Next purchase is chest. Lots of sockets, +80 stats enchant and gets you closer to 4 set.
    7.) Next purchase will be gloves, unless you get legs from weekly boss. If you get legs, then start filling in some of your weak pieces because you will have your big gear filled, trinket bonus, 4 piece set bonus and weapon.
    8.) Fill in your weakest pieces after that. Remember the weekly bosses drop Gloves, Legs, Ring, Boots, Belt, Waist, Back, Neck.

You can also try to kill Nalak each week but I don't have luck getting that anymore and I am on a super high pop server. I am guessing the only time nalak gets killed now is if someone can put together a group for the legendary cloak chain.

AV Call of Arms is current CoA, I believe it lasts till friday?

Anyway, even as Horde, you get a LOT of Honor in AV. Around 220 for a loss and 350 for a win on average. And it's usually no more than 12 mins or so

Deleted

step 1: bind every ability to your bars, don't keyboardturn.
    step 2: Do weekly celestials + a warforged token for pvp items. Na'lak too but optional.
    step 2: Get full tyrannical through BGs, use crafted or don't, depends on your financial situation. This will probably also get you conq capped.
    step 3: Get grievous weapons
    step 4: Duel some people outside your capital, this will give you a feel of what your class can do and what your class can't do.
    step 5: When you feel comfortable with your skill, step in the arena and RBGs.
    step 6: buy more grievous with conquest points you get from arena (180 per win). Buy the pieces that can't be dropped by celestials. Buy trinkets last.
    step 7: get gladiator

10+ Year Old Account

I would suggest you to just farm honor in BGs, get the full gear, then do the catch up conquest cap, and continue doing weekly cap from then on

10+ Year Old Account
    1. reroll arms warrior
    2. grind bgs for honor gear
    3. do arena, get free glad/r1