Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    yes, I used a profile after they optimized my gear against what I was using and it was less dps. I stopped paying attention to that site fully and just trust my gut now.

Did you even read the thread?

The consensus was that askmrrobot is a good and useful web site if you use it correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by potatoe View Post
    armory?my experience with askmrrobot has been positive.

usually people just don't understand it.

occasionally it is wrong.

fyi, they have a forum where they respond to issues pretty regularly.

http://forums.askmrrobot.com/index.php?board=4.0

At the very worst AMR will send players in the right direction for their class. At the very best you can set your stat weights however you want and theoretically do the best you can do at what you play. All hail the mighty Zoopercat.

Quote Originally Posted by Skillslam View Post
    Is Askmrrobot full of shit?
    no. the error is on your side. protip: don't use these tools if you do not understand how they work.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkphoenix View Post
    Ask Mr. Robot, and so many other sites, are simply there to offer advice. They might be able to tell you the 'optimal' built for your character according to the perfect play-style, but that particular style may not match up to your own. As in such, their stat recommendations will be incorrect since they cannot see exactly how you use your abilities, when you use you abilities, or why you use your abilities. They can give you a good foundation to start on, but the rest must come from common sense.
    Use SimCraft to simulate your particular playstyle. Ask it to give you stat weights of your particularly simmed character. Input those stat weights in AskMrRobot. Profit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahumut5
    I don't want to call Boubouille and wake her up for something like this.

This thread is from 2 months ago.
    "I have it all simmed."
    Euliat

Well I does do some strange stuff sometimes, like when told me to reforge some hit, then gem it back. Just so it could reach that magic number, so I take it with a pinch of salt.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dotcha View Post
    Well I does do some strange stuff sometimes, like when told me to reforge some hit, then gem it back. Just so it could reach that magic number, so I take it with a pinch of salt.
    Sometimes it's worth it, but yes be careful. Example of being worth it: Gemming expertise to cloak instead of crit, but gaining more than 180 crit/mastery on another piece.

Deleted
    To answer the OP: YES!

I posted a similar thread a while ago questioning the gem stats it gave me.

Doing a full import on my 2h Frost spec it told me to remove my strength gems for orange hybrid str gems, and other slots to go for a pure secondary stat (currently they are the str hybrid gems)

I did this, then joining a raid that night my raid leader asked me what the hell had happened because my DPS was crap (usually I'm the top DPS, but I landed middle of the chart). I gemmed back to how I used to and low and behold my DPS was back.

Stat priority prizes strength before anything else for our class as the biggest DPS increase and has always done so, so I gem that way. Reforgelite for the rest.

I'm no heroic raider, but when i see that amount of difference in normals, I have to wonder how correct these "sims" are.
    Last edited by mmoc1dde548293; 2013-12-17 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Briga View Post
    I have to wonder how correct these "sims" are.
    So you totally simmed your own stat weights for your own gear and plugged them into AMR instead of using the default ones, right?

Yeah, that's what I thought.

Sims and stat weights are useful if you know what to do with them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Briga View Post
    To answer the OP: YES!

I posted a similar thread a while ago questioning the gem stats it gave me.

Doing a full import on my 2h Frost spec it told me to remove my strength gems for orange hybrid str gems, and other slots to go for a pure secondary stat (currently they are the str hybrid gems)

I did this, then joining a raid that night my raid leader asked me what the hell had happened because my DPS was crap (usually I'm the top DPS, but I landed middle of the chart). I gemmed back to how I used to and low and behold my DPS was back.

Stat priority prizes strength before anything else for our class as the biggest DPS increase and has always done so, so I gem that way. Reforgelite for the rest.

I'm no heroic raider, but when i see that amount of difference in normals, I have to wonder how correct these "sims" are.
    In this case the issue is with you not knowing how to use the tool, and using it incorrectly, not with the tool itself.

I always thought AMR would go for my best stats. I don't raid anymore (only lfr & flex atm), so I don't use amr that often. I assumed amr would get me to my haste caps. At a point I had about +15k crit and 7k haste. And amr would still suggest to get crit gems and reforge haste away. Because I wasn't raiding seriously I would just check what amr suggested and go for it. But a while ago I checked the settings. Apparently amr suggested me to reforge to my ~5k haste cap and dump the rest into crit. Changed the settings and finally got to my ~10k haste cap.

Why can't amr do this? It checks for stats and haste caps, so why doesn't it suggest to get my 2nd haste cap right away?

Also, are those expertise gems (exp/crit & exp/haste) the best way to go? Because before MoP I never had to get expertise as a caster...

AMR doesn't know what your personal stat weights are, that's not what it's for, it's for making optimisations.

But you need to sim your own stat weights for the optimisations from AMR to be useful, it will use the default ones if you don't and they are not going to be ideal for you.

It also doesn't have a concept of having more than one haste threshold, which is not very useful for casters as they often have many different values of haste they can go for based on their gear levels.

As for expertise gems, you use them as a caster because expertise gives you hit now. You want hit from your red sockets because this lets you go for more secondary stats, which are a bigger damage increase than intellect for many specs.
    Last edited by Shiira; 2013-12-17 at 04:03 PM.

This thread was already dead and beaten... No need to ressurect it from the dead and chew everything through once more.