Some pet suggestions

Hey ..
    I am a hunter in a starter edition account , beast mastery , and am at max level right now. Will be getting the game within two weeks, so I want to capture a good looking pet in an easily accessible area, but also one that is strong and will be good as one of my level 90 pet options ... dont want to release any. I have my eyes on the rare pets in tirisfal glades, namely Fangor(bat) , plague(dog) , hibernus the sleeper(bear) , shadowstalker(spider), bonechewer(carrion bird) and nighthowl(wolf).
    Are all these pets quite good in the late stages of the game, around level 90? What other family of pets should I capture ? My worry is that other families will outclass these pets easily.

I currently have my starter raptor, and a black lion(humar the pridelord).
    Also , all pets of same family are equally strong at any time, right?
    Say, my black lion would be equally strong as a savannah huntress?

Thanks.

Hey there! Welcome to WoW and to being a Hunter.

All pets are normalized, so pet A will do the same amount of damage as pet B, provided that they are both the same spec (such as Ferocity). The main thing that differentiates pets from each other (aside from appearance) is what buff they can provide for you and anyone else in your party. There is no "best" pet, so it's wise to keep a variety of pets in your stable for different situations. I recommend taming the pets that can supply major buffs first along with a tanking pet, then getting any debuff pets that your group may need.

Here's my short list:

Wolf (+ 5% Critical Strike)
    Serpent/Hyena (+ 10% Attack Speed)
    Cat (+ 3000 Mastery)
    Turtle/Beetle (for tanking)

Note that my list doesn't include Exotic pets because I like having pets that I can use with any spec.

Also, here are a couple of good links with more information:

http://www.warcrafthuntersunion.com/...t-hunter-pets/
    Good list of which pets bring which buffs.

http://www.wow-petopia.com/
    Excellent website for everything related to hunter pets.
    Nameless hunter pets make me rage. You have been warned.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where everything is bitter. Especially me.
    A small note, Once you reach a higher level, it'll be better to swap out your raptor for a Tallstrider. AoE Sunder instead of single target. I also almost always carry a Sporebat as well because I sometimes have to cover my raid's Spell Haste buff.
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    *bro fist*
    Main - My Youtube Channel - Useful PvP Items - Hunter Pet Spreadsheet - Music and Stuff

A few more strong (non-exotic) pets to keep in mind are the debuffers -- Wind Serpent/Dragonhawk provides as much personal DPS to Survival as a Cat does, Ravager/Boar provides a substantial boost to BM/MM, and the Tallstrider has already been mentioned. Grabbing one of these if you don't have a rogue/warlock (Wind Serpent/Dragonhawk), don't have a Plate DPS (Ravager/Boar), or don't have a warrior/druid tank (Tallstrider) is quite helpful to your group. (Strictly speaking, for the last one, any druid, any rogue, and any warrior can bring the armor debuff, it's just a minor personal DPS loss for the non-tank specs to apply it -- so helping them out is often appreciated there.)

Hi...
    So, what it means is that I can go for good looks in the pets which I capture, as long as I maintain variety in the families I own ... say I can take the extra time to search for a rare low level good looking cat(Humar <3) , just because it looks better than the others, and it has the same damage/abilities, right?
    Also, I mostly intend to play on beast mastery(most fun on my friends acct). The best thing to do is capture one of each beast type, including exotic beasts, and keeing those not in the 5 I have with me at any time in the stables, right?

I currently have :
    1)Raptor
    2)Cat
    3)Bat
    4)Carrion bird
    5)Spider
    6)Dog
    7)Wolf
    8)Bear

Just need to get one more of each type, and decide my 5 on hand at lvl 90 then.

Basically, what the others have said. I grabbed a turtle for soloing/leveling and my 5 includes both a tall strider and a spore bat, depending on if my group needs spell haste. Good luck with the exotics and enjoy your hunter!

Quote Originally Posted by ptsunami2911 View Post
    Hi...
    So, what it means is that I can go for good looks in the pets which I capture, as long as I maintain variety in the families I own ... say I can take the extra time to search for a rare low level good looking cat(Humar <3) , just because it looks better than the others, and it has the same damage/abilities, right?
    Also, I mostly intend to play on beast mastery(most fun on my friends acct). The best thing to do is capture one of each beast type, including exotic beasts, and keeing those not in the 5 I have with me at any time in the stables, right?
    Exactly! That way you have a pet for every situation, and you can choose whichever pet you like best from each family. I also had Humar for the longest time and I agree that he's a very handsome kitty.
    Nameless hunter pets make me rage. You have been warned.

Deleted
    http://wow.zamimg.com/uploads/screen...mal/336977.jpg

This, cos it's cool as feck and gives 10% attack speed too. Called Spirit of the North if you're interested :P