New balance/resto druid looking for some tricks

Hi guys, i'm currently leveling a druid (lvl 89, should hit 90 tomorrow) and i plan to play as balance with a decent restoration offspec.

I have already read guides (IV and here) for both specs, but i'm making this thread in order to gather some of the "tricks" you learn over time that might not be obvious but impact your performance.

Any and all input will be greatly appreciated.

Also don't hesitate to post some basic stuff, as even if i already know it, hopefully it can benefit someone else

DoTs DoTs and moar DoTs
    Better DoT uptime = more SS procs = Better dps!
    Not always possible or practical but try use the SS procs in eclipse for the boost, and never under any circumstance, have an unused starsurge sitting there, smiling prettily at you, while it's off cooldown. (unless you need it for some sort of boss mechanic when THING X spawns and needs to die yesterday)

Barkskin!
    It sounds obvious, but we chickens are quite rugged if you have the wisdom to pop this nifty little thing.
    In some fights, you may be required to take a big damage mechanic (like mines on iron juggernaught) in this case a macro which uses the 30% hp increase last stand (sorry i've forgotten the name completely) and barkskin at the same time. Usually works and saves your feathers.

Eclipses!
    Start the fight at 75 to lunar, if you play about with your openings and cooldowns upon opening, you really will notice a big difference to just going through the eclipses, at the start and throughout the entire fight. I'm probably going to be shouted at for this, but, every now and then, not too often though, it's worth sacrificing a damaging cast to channel astral communion to hit the next eclipse. *prepares for angry chickens shouting at me* I've noticed benefits, helped me peak my dps to hit eclipse faster, or just get to eclipse that little quicker in order to put nice shiny new eclipsed DoTs on.

ABC, KISS, GTFO
    In complete contrast as to what i've just said, ABC, always be casting. If you stop casting, your dps goes down. simple.
    KISS: Keep it simple stupid, dont try and overcomplicate the class, it won't like you for it. Get clever, don't get complex.
    GTFO: MOVE OUT OF THE FIRE. A DEAD CHICKEN DOES NO DPS. And you get the mandatory roast chicken jokes from your guildies...

Ah! might of ursoc.

Totally overlooked it, and that's coming from a tank, as i'm pretty used to using CDs and such. Also was starting fights on 100 eclipse, something to improve there ^^

Also on dots i read TONS of conditions about when to refresh, when not to, but ATM i'm sticking to "refresh when reaching eclipse (both of them due to haste buff) and when they fall off". Is the difference significant enough to track them more closely? Or will keeping them up be enough for a start? Keep in mind i won't be doing heroics for a month or so, so not looking for a 1% increase on performance (yet)

Thanks for all the advice ^^ (yeah, can't be thankful enough to helpful people)

You should try to have as high uptime on dots as posible, unless you are just about to enter an eclipse. Then u might want to save your eclipse dot for when you enter your eclipse state before refreshing.

Something that will help your dps alot aswell is to try keep as high uptime on nature's grace as posible. Might be hard with the gear you got when you have just gotten 90 but will be alot easier when u get some gear and legendary meta.

Other than that i would suggest you to get to your first haste breakpoint (5273 haste rating) as soon as possible.

Good luck with your chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by Inthislzon View Post
    Ah! might of ursoc.

Totally overlooked it, and that's coming from a tank, as i'm pretty used to using CDs and such. Also was starting fights on 100 eclipse, something to improve there ^^

Also on dots i read TONS of conditions about when to refresh, when not to, but ATM i'm sticking to "refresh when reaching eclipse (both of them due to haste buff) and when they fall off". Is the difference significant enough to track them more closely? Or will keeping them up be enough for a start? Keep in mind i won't be doing heroics for a month or so, so not looking for a 1% increase on performance (yet)

Simple answer to this is don't worry about it. Do not refresh dots just because you entered an eclipse or just because you're about to leave one. That worked okay in cata but it's awful thing to do now. If you aren't moving and you have okay to decent gear you only need 3-4 seconds to reach a new eclipse.

Idk what your playstyle is like atm, but try only refreshing with 1 second remaining for a change if you aren't already. Cycling through eclipses faster should be your most important priority. DoTs should never fall off ideally or at least not both because of Shooting Stars, but just remember you're not an affliction warlock. DoTs aren't a huge deal and their DPeT (damage per execute time) comes from them ticking the entire duration. Clipping to "be safe" before leaving an eclipse or clipping to get the benefit of a new eclipse or trinket proc is pretty silly most of the time when you could be pushing a new eclipse and getting higher Nature's Grace uptime.

This is assuming you get at least raid finder gear. I see you're just reaching 90 so your haste is going to be increddibly low so you may find yourself refreshing more often atm.
    Last edited by Aboubacar; 2013-10-29 at 01:47 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Inthislzon View Post
    Ah! might of ursoc.

For the most part cast your eclipsed dot as soon as you get into an eclipse and let your non-eclipsed dot fall off naturally before reapplying since it's buffed from your last eclipse. The exception is coming out of CA. Let both dots roll in this case as they're both eclipsed and only redot if they fall off or you're about to exit your current eclipse.