View Poll Results: Is blackface racist?

Voters
172. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes -- I am American

    36 20.93%
  • No -- I am American

    58 33.72%
  • Yes -- I'm not American

    14 8.14%
  • No -- I'm not American

    64 37.21%
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
12
... LastLast
  1. #21
    Pandaren Monk icausewipes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Medusa Cascade
    Posts
    1,812
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post





    Eddie murphy did a couple of skits on the same and its all wrong.
    My wedding vows - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5YtyW1aXIY

    PERI: I, I, I.
    DOCTOR: That's three I's in one breath. Makes you sound a rather egotistical young lady.
    PERI: What's happened?
    DOCTOR: Change, my dear. And it seems not a moment too soon.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by icausewipes View Post
    The person in question is using a racist act (in USA) to profit. My question was not comparing the 2, but the anger each caused, and how one caused pain, and the other grief.
    We're asking why black face causes grief? 9/11 was 12 years ago; a bunch of people are alive now who still remember the hurt and the pain and the shock of the incident, who lost loved ones because of it. What has blackface done to anyone living now? Do we still live in a society where blackface is being widely used negatively? It's like when people demand justice for what happened to their ancestors even though the world is a different and much more tolerant (on average at least) place now.

    And those videos aren't helping your argument because it's just showing us that people did not go into outrage over black people pretending to be white.
    My Cracked articles, writing blog, and Twitter.

    The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

    Want to chat with people who aren't idiots? Join our IRC.

  3. #23
    The Insane peggleftw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Berks, UK
    Posts
    15,299
    Quote Originally Posted by icausewipes View Post



    Eddie murphy did a couple of skits on the same and its all wrong.
    oh god i forgot about that movie, terrible, just terrible.
    Too cool for a signature

  4. #24
    Is this a bait thread?

    you already know the race obsessed trolls that have issues with black people will be itching to post negative comments here. (hello stormfront trolls) *waves*

    Anyway to answer the question black face is insensitive, anyone that has a grasp on the historical roots of black face would realize that.

  5. #25
    I am Murloc! Alenarien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Antrim, Northern Ireland
    Posts
    5,628
    Quote Originally Posted by icausewipes View Post
    Eddie murphy did a couple of skits on the same and its all wrong.
    Whether it's 'wrong' or not is subjective. I'd imagine with some confidence that an overwhelming proportion of the audiences of all the films/shows that have been linked in the thread thus far, felt no true or serious offence at the various portrayals.

    The question that is raised however, is a very simple one. Do we choose the grow-a-thicker-skin crowd, or the censorship crowd? I'd choose the former every time.
    "If I owned a company, my employees would love me. They’d have huge pictures of me up the walls and in their home, like Lenin." - George Costanza

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Ret4resto View Post
    Is this a bait thread?

    you already know the race obsessed trolls that have issues with black people will be itching to post negative comments here. (hello stormfront trolls) *waves*

    Anyway to answer the question black face is insensitive, anyone that has a grasp on the historical roots of black face would realize that.
    I'm looking for an explanation rather than just "know your history", which is why I purposefully displayed in the OP that I know of its historical roots so as to not get dismissive one-liner posts like this. Tell me why we are still considering blackface offensive.
    My Cracked articles, writing blog, and Twitter.

    The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

    Want to chat with people who aren't idiots? Join our IRC.

  7. #27
    im dressing up as Obama for halloween i got the mask and everything

  8. #28
    The Patient The Oblivion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    317
    its not even slightly racist and the people who cry about it are simply ridiculous attention whores.

  9. #29
    The Unstoppable Force RICH816's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Portsmouth, UK
    Posts
    20,667
    I find Blackface as offensive as I find this....



    Not much.

  10. #30
    The Insane GennGreymane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Master Suite at 10 Downing ST. SW. AZ. 11111
    Posts
    16,765
    I am more inclined to ask the intent rather than judge the action.

    ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Praise REGGIE! MY BODY IS READY༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

  11. #31
    I am from Sweden and honestly I do not find it racist at all to dress out like Asian, Black, White or anything at all if you do it for the proper reason.

    I mean look at movies they are done for humor and nothing wrong with that, same goes for Halloween.

    But of course there are those who find it sensitive or use it for the wrong reason but meh we live once so live it how you want to.

  12. #32
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Somewhere between Finland and the Netherlands
    Posts
    90
    Again? Come on, some will say it's racism, others will say it isn't. I personally think it has roots in racism, but that may no longer be the case. My prediction for this thread: People will scream bloody murder on both sides of the fence, bans will be had and in the end no-one convinces the other of their vision.

  13. #33
    Herald of the Titans Khaza-R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Darkside of the Moon
    Posts
    2,573
    Is it racist to paint yourself brown, black, white? No. Can it easily get racist if you're doing it to degrade another race? Yes.

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    Is it racist to paint yourself brown, black, white? No. Can it easily get racist if you're doing it to degrade another race? Yes.
    well that's the issue here, the majority of the time these "racial costumes" are used to degrade other racial groups, it's never done tastefully

    The exaggerated features, mannerisms, stereotypical dialect/clothing, etc. This applies to the movie "white chicks" also since so many of the fonts on here love using that as a rebuttal to the racially charged history of black face, white race doesn't have the same horrific racial connotation that black face has, that's where the comparison falls flat on it's face

  15. #35
    The Unstoppable Force Rukentuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Mini Soda
    Posts
    23,296
    Mere costumes are not offense. Conduct while wearing it can get there, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    Hey, as a transabled, transethnic, non-binary, genderqueer, neo-communist, indoor-capable republican otherkin I am offended by your callous display of ignorance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    I wouldn't expect someone who thinks science provides proof to know that.

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Ret4resto View Post
    Is this a bait thread?

    you already know the race obsessed trolls that have issues with black people will be itching to post negative comments here. (hello stormfront trolls) *waves*

    Anyway to answer the question black face is insensitive, anyone that has a grasp on the historical roots of black face would realize that.
    Obsessed trolls?
    You're the one making a huge deal about it, or at least it seems like you're the kind of person who would.

  17. #37
    The Unstoppable Force Aeluron Lightsong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jaina Proudmoore's side. Always and forever.
    Posts
    23,161
    I find this more of a joke then racist.
    Blizzard do not destroy Jaina Proudmoore's character. Make her who she once was, not full of rage and vengeance.,If you are curious about me or about my writing aspirations, feel free to pst me. Paladin-Sorcerer at your service! http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...htsongg/simple https://twitter.com/Aeluron1989

  18. #38
    I don't see any issue with painting black circles to resemble donuts. CEO was right in his dismissal of criticism. Cultural costumes for costume parties are also fine. However, why do you assume Blackface is a cultural costume? And which culture do you think it belongs to? A cultural costume originates from the culture itself. See Kilt. If I were to wear a kilt to a costume party, I would be intending to celebrate the Scottish glory, not ridicule it. Going as Blackface celebrates nothing but why it was originally made. You want to celebrate Africa, wear their actual costume, not Blackface.

    I can only agree that Blackface is a cultural costume if you agree that it belongs to white culture. Blackface was a product of white Americans and it continued in the UK later on. And if you wear it, you celebrate -perhaps unwittingly- its meaning. You perpetuate stereotypes, much like it did when it was first used.
    I worry there's three of me, and each of us is blind.

  19. #39
    Is black face racist? Of course it was (shoe polish black skin, giant lips and buggy eyes isn't offensive). Though probably less insensitive in its modern iterations, now it remains so in that it's largely just a shallow attempt to ruffle feathers and earn shock value.

    The reason being is that in its original form, in the early 20th century, it was generally designed as a deliberate caricature of African Americans. It would mock people of this ethnicity by portraying them as perpetually jovial childish adults at best. Granted, there were some exceptions, like Al Jolson, known for his "mammy" performance, who actually wanted to break down ethnic barriers, being a European Jewish man sympathizing with the state of African Americans at the time. However, in the grand scheme of things, this performance style generally exacerbated the ethnic divide, since at the time, very few producers or audiences even cared to address issues with depth... at all.

    I'm not surprised that some people are saying society tends to be too sensitive because they do have a point, but to claim the black face performances from the 20's and 30's weren't racist at large seems foolish.

    As for modern performances of actors of one creed playing characters of another, namely Tropic Thunder, the whole point of things like that today is not so much mock the ethnicity with black face or white face, but to mock the practice itself.

    Robert Downey Jr. as Kick Lazarus as Sergeant Osiris did get some uproar by audiences, but that was the whole point, to show how ridiculous it is to have a white actor play a black character. I mean... Lazarus got serious shit from Al Pacino within the movie, and with good reason.

  20. #40
    Titan Nixx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    ooo es eh
    Posts
    12,348
    Quote Originally Posted by icausewipes View Post
    I'll ask a counter question if you do not mind. Am I being insensitive if I show a celebration of the 9-11 attacks from the terrorist PoV?
    Not necessarily.

    Edit: Or rather I guess you are, but I don't necessarily think it matters. Unless your intent is to cause harm, it's irrelevant whether it's insensitive or not.
    Last edited by Nixx; 2013-10-28 at 03:38 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •