i5-4670k or i7-4770k

Hi, I'm now trying to build my first gaming pc and was at first convinced to get the best cpu from intel, but back when I started to consider which parts should I use the 4th generation of intel cpu's hadn't come out yet, so I was thinking that I should really get an i7. But now I'm not sure because I noticed that the i5-4670k seems similar to the i7-4770k, it only has 0.1 GHz less, its also has 4 cores, and its much cheaper which is great, so I'm kind of decided for this one but would like to first ask for opinions about this since I really don't know about any other things to look for. I did read an article comparing these two and they seemed to perform similarly.

Deleted
    i5-4670k for gaming and general use. Unless you do highend end streaming and/or a lot of rendering it's not worth the extra cost going for the i7.

Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    i5-4670k for gaming and general use. Unless you do highend end streaming and/or a lot of rendering it's not worth the extra cost going for the i7.
    wow how did you get yours up to 4.5 GHz? I guess you did a ton of work on it and have a superb cooling system.

Deleted
    Heh 4.5GHz on i5-3570k, assuming you don't get completely screwed on the chip, and you have decent cooling isn't all that hard

The cooling solution is a Phanteks PH-TC14PE.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mocvoyager View Post
    wow how did you get yours up to 4.5 GHz? I guess you did a ton of work on it and have a superb cooling system.
    Yeah.. 4.5ghz on the 3570K is nearly considered 'standard overclock'. An EVO will pull it off no problem (as mine does at 4.6)

The 4670K is 100mhz slower, but that is negated by the fact you'd overclock both of them anyway. As notarget said.. Unless you're doing something that warrants hyperthreading... it's usually not worth it.

More as a note of trivia.... Theoretically a 4770K can overclock higher, since it's effectively a higher binned chip and can (again, in theory) overclock higher than a 4670K.... However that in turn is negated because HT causes higher heat... So you have to turn HT off... And in turn you're basically paying $100 extra for 100-200mhz at most.

TLDR: Get the 4670K :P
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Yeah.. 4.5ghz on the 3570K is nearly considered 'standard overclock'. An EVO will pull it off no problem (as mine does at 4.6)

The 4670K is 100mhz slower, but that is negated by the fact you'd overclock both of them anyway. As notarget said.. Unless you're doing something that warrants hyperthreading... it's usually not worth it.

More as a note of trivia.... Theoretically a 4770K can overclock higher, since it's effectively a higher binned chip and can (again, in theory) overclock higher than a 4670K.... However that in turn is negated because HT causes higher heat... So you have to turn HT off... And in turn you're basically paying $100 extra for 100-200mhz at most.

TLDR: Get the 4670K :P
    Yeah I'm guessing I will go with the 4570k, seems the better choice so far.