View Poll Results: What do you think of current state of Holiday events?

Voters
72. This poll is closed
  • I don't care about holidays

11 15.28%
  • They need to update them.

54 75.00%
  • They are fine the way they are.

7 9.72%
Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Thumbs down How to improve Holiday Events

In my opinion WoW Holidays have went from alright, to completely meh. They were never that amazing to begin with, but they were atleast active whether your alt was getting a misc epic / mount, or you were working on vanity items. And of course when achievements came there was a couple years of very active people doing things daily.

This year however, with LFD tool, no one needing to spam trade for wand trades etc.. since most have it. Hell at the moment goldshire is dead as hell, as well it was last night. and it use to be PACKED full doing headless horsemen.

Now I understand why its like this, the epic rings/trinkets/misc items are well below the average epic even for alts. As well most have done the achievements / obtained the violet drake. the LFD tool now in place only lets you do one daily a day now instead of the 5 previously. And really let's be honest the events are boring as could be.

So my question is, what do you think they could do to improve holidays? I mean don't tell me they can't improve them because resources are being used elsewhere, im not saying make a filler raid. Im saying let's make them appealing again.

So any ideas of what they could add/do to improve? I think it could be a good opportunity to add a lot nice holiday transmogrify which I feel they aren't using to their potential. They really need to hop on the idea of adding a few sets for holidays kind of like the dark shaman set from SoO. But different of course.

Of course updating the epic items to atleast 502 ilvl would work too.. I mean 470 is just lazyness on their part. It's like that mail we got for the anniversary that talks about fighting death wing during MoP obviously didn't update it...

So what are your ideas?

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    remove the pvp from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    remove the pvp from them.
    Oh, like sprinkle shit on a certain class? Or the only other one where you actually have to kill people is gnome one, unless im forgetting one. But apart from that removing it from the meta could be alright, but it's not to terribly difficult.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BetrayedOf52 View Post
    Oh, like sprinkle shit on a certain class? Or the only other one where you actually have to kill people is gnome one, unless im forgetting one. But apart from that removing it from the meta could be alright, but it's not to terribly difficult.
    More the having to do certain things in a BG and such.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Holidays should be updated to use dynamic events (Timeless Isle) instead of this standard daily/boss system.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BetrayedOf52 View Post
    A lot of my friends are stuck on the Orphan one where you gotta do various things with the orphan in the BG. I keep trying to reassure them that it's not that hard especially since a lot of times people just let you do the thing if you have the orphan out. But they just find the idea of pvp squicky.

Also there's the annoying fact such as this hallows eve where alliance has to flag for pvp to douse the horde's wickerman, but horde does not have to flag for pvp to douse alliance's wickerman. That should at least be more balanced.

Deleted
    One tranmog set for each class on each event (new ones) like one with Haloween theme or with Christmas theme (still looking bad ass something like the challenge transmog set).

Quote Originally Posted by reimonic View Post
    One tranmog set for each class on each event (new ones) like one with Haloween theme or with Christmas theme (still looking bad ass something like the challenge transmog set).
    Pretty much what I was thinking, a winter theme set, hallows end theme set, etc etc right? I mean im sure the art team could have fun with it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ailyara View Post
    A lot of my friends are stuck on the Orphan one where you gotta do various things with the orphan in the BG. I keep trying to reassure them that it's not that hard especially since a lot of times people just let you do the thing if you have the orphan out. But they just find the idea of pvp squicky.

Also there's the annoying fact such as this hallows eve where alliance has to flag for pvp to douse the horde's wickerman, but horde does not have to flag for pvp to douse alliance's wickerman. That should at least be more balanced.
    Yeah usually people trade off what you need to do, at least the first week, but they may stop as more people get the achievement.

Remove the combat aspect from them entirely. They should strictly be a role player thing, God knows RPers barely get anything in this game as it is.

They should be strictly RP events. Not another excuse to grab more loot or other useless crap you stuff in your bank for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Holidays should be updated to use dynamic events (Timeless Isle) instead of this standard daily/boss system.
    Great idea actually, im not saying make a new zone, but rather instead of the que system create a lot of good events around the city's etc...

They need to incorporate a reason for us that have been around for a while to do them. More Vanity items and shizzle.

I totally agree, holidays are crap now. I used to look forward to them, cause I would get a new upgraded piece of gear for each of my toons.. but they haven't added anything worthwhile of even of the current item level range in like 2 years. Thats what I used to like the most, I have multiple alts, so I can't have them all decked out, I looked forward to a shiny new piece of loot.
    As for the other stuff, I don't really care about cosmetics or achievements, though I did take the time to grind out the headless horseman mount, just to shove in a guildie's face (hes been unsuccessful this year running 11 toons a day).
    I have like 15 Sinister Squashlings.. wtf am I supposed to do with these things?!

Herald of the Titans Deathgoose's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ailyara View Post
    Both my wife and I only have School of Hard Knocks left for the Long Crazy Trip It's Been. And so long as that achievement is required in its current version, neither of us will probably complete it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Holidays definitely need a revamp, because once you've got the meta done there is really no reason to pay attention to them again which is kind of sad. I still log on to do the Brewfest and Hallow's End bosses for the mounts, but other than that there is nothing left that Holidays have to offer me.

To improve holidays, Blizzard should add more mounts and pets available from both holiday bosses AND holiday currency. If I were able to save up the Hallow's End treats to buy the Headless Horseman mount, you better believe I'd be out there right now getting in on some Hallow's End action. But I can't so I'm haven't even logged on to WoW today other than to kill the Headless Horseman. In my opinion there's something a little wrong with this picture in terms of what I feel a WoW holiday should bring to the table.

As a side note, for those who are posting about the Holiday PvP, specifically the children's week one that involves BGs: The PvP achievements are so much easier if you do them on a low level character. I was having trouble with the children's week ones myself but then I logged over to a level 40-something and got them all done in one sitting.

Mounts are definitely a good way to get people to at least be more active it them.

Deleted
    Ideally they should be updated (even if just in some small way) every year, with an overhaul every few years. This way it would keep people participating in them, as there would always be something new to do. Dynamic events, which were mentioned above would also be good. You could spin stuff like the Headless Horsemen into a chain of events. If you succeed in putting out the fires you can chase him back to SM and defeat him. If you don't you have to repair the houses etc.

Stuff like that.

Herald of the Titans Valnoressa's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    How to improve Holiday Events?

- Change it up and update the event yearly with different engaging stories, dynamic events, new loot, achievements and so on.

There is no excuse for making an event, leaving it exactly the same for several years and expecting people to repeat those events every year without issue. No way, that is just shoddy and lazy game design. The game is supposed to feel engaging and it needs these special events to -feel- special. Like if someone goes on holiday and misses an event they shouldn't say

"Oh well, I did it last year anyway, didn't miss anything."

They should be saying..

"Oh man! I missed out! I can't get this item or do that story because they aren't available next year!"
    Butts.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazroshka View Post
    How to improve Holiday Events?

- Change it up and update the event yearly with different engaging stories, dynamic events, new loot, achievements and so on.

There is no excuse for making an event, leaving it exactly the same for several years and expecting people to repeat those events every year without issue. No way, that is just shoddy and lazy game design. The game is supposed to feel engaging and it needs these special events to -feel- special. Like if someone goes on holiday and misses an event they shouldn't say

"Oh well, I did it last year anyway, didn't miss anything."

They should be saying..

"Oh man! I missed out! I can't get this item or do that story because they aren't available next year!"
    I just hope this is not a case of them saying, We would have to take resources from other developments, pick and choose like they do with almost everything we ask to be updated or changed.

Not sure what it is, but the events in wow seem kind of uninteresting nowadays. Maybe its because they have been the same for ages, maybe it is because they are already data mined before they are even released or maybe they are just boring because it is always a boring ass push over boss, a bit of busy work and nothing else. A bit more exploration and story, heck even a jumping puzzle like in GW would be a nice chance of pace...

Oh god! I seriously said a jumping puzzle could be nice.. well at least I didn't call it parkour.

At least it's not as bad as that one year they forgot to update the gear.