Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

(Frost) Icycle addon ?

Hi guys !
    I have a question, is there an addon that will show me how much icycle I have ready :x In a 25m I can keep track of it when we are stacked and all

tkx for the help !

Quote Originally Posted by xindykawai View Post
    Hi guys !
    I have a question, is there an addon that will show me how much icycle I have ready :x In a 25m I can keep track of it when we are stacked and all

tkx for the help !
    There is no absolutely no need to track them as they cast one at a time on their own (can only have 5 at once). Even when mobs are about to die and you have to get damage on them, there's no need to track them.

The only reason to ever pay attention to your icicles is if you going to spend 30 seconds not generating any icicles in that case you want to get rid of them before that period of time(for a tiny amount of damage). It doesn't matter how many you have when you do this as well.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I can see the merits of an addon for pvp tho, knowing how much total icicle damage you can do could be the difference between a kill or not wasting cooldown since a full deep with time warped five icicles is very very potent damage when you are under icy veins

From the tech side, Blizzard gave no "hook" for them and as such currently believe that would make it impossible to write an addon to track them. Someone could probably do some guestimate shit from the log system but that would always leave a lag in presenting information to user.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by villie View Post
    I can see the merits of an addon for pvp tho, knowing how much total icicle damage you can do could be the difference between a kill or not wasting cooldown since a full deep with time warped five icicles is very very potent damage when you are under icy veins
    yeh precisely this :/ ho snap i didnt know it was ''untrackable'' atm ....

and fro pve, basically, there is no reason why i should track them ? isnt a good burst when we are under icy vein and have 5 icycle ready ? or should i just using it only when i have finger of frost proc ( sorry im quite new to mage i just ding this weekend and always been arcane)

What about for pvp? Do they need tracking? And how is it done?

Quote Originally Posted by xindykawai View Post
    yeh precisely this :/ ho snap i didnt know it was ''untrackable'' atm ....

and fro pve, basically, there is no reason why i should track them ? isnt a good burst when we are under icy vein and have 5 icycle ready ? or should i just using it only when i have finger of frost proc ( sorry im quite new to mage i just ding this weekend and always been arcane)
    An icicle will fire automatically when you generate a sixth, using Ice Lance produces burst but the same overall damage as if you let them cast by themselves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    An icicle will fire automatically when you generate a sixth, using Ice Lance produces burst but the same overall damage as if you let them cast by themselves.
    Exellent thats good to know !! ty !

And if there is no way to track them, i will just be carefull to look at it in pvp to maximise it !

tkx for your help all !

Deleted
    U should be able to write an addon. For example WA with custom LUA should handle it.
    U track the dmg of an Frostbolthit, take the mastery, calculate the icicle and display it.
    K its a little bit difficult but i should be possible.

Quote Originally Posted by gallamann View Post
    From the tech side, Blizzard gave no "hook" for them and as such currently believe that would make it impossible to write an addon to track them. Someone could probably do some guestimate shit from the log system but that would always leave a lag in presenting information to user.

Why guestimate? Only FB and FFB generate icicles and you know exactly how large each icicle will be.

Herald of the Titans Kuni Zyrekai's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by maizensh View Post
    Why guestimate? Only FB and FFB generate icicles and you know exactly how large each icicle will be.
    Because they also have no firing triggers. You'll have the right values no problem, but using lance will screw it knowing which are up since you can just keep generating them, especially under GoIV, and they're all still barraging. You could do it by not updating until they impact, but then you'd be ~2 seconds late.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder if a similar addon to an ignite tracker could be the answer, tho those track the debuff on your current target. As each icicle has its own individual damage related to the fb/ffb it would have to be 5 individual buffs on the player. Maybe because this would clutter the buff ui, the hook is hidden making it impossible to script into WA which is probably the best buff/debuff tracker available atm. The fact that its not really needed in pve and the more I arena with the new mastery, seems mostly more benificial to just know you have 5 up as the majority of my casts are into shatters which naturally builds strong icicles anyways.

Deleted
    Actualy you cannot calculate the damage of the icicles from FFB / FB damage done because the icicle dmg is not affected by temporary damage increase / reduction effects on target. What you can however do is calculate the damage from the threat caused by FFB / FB which is also unaffected by temporary effects. I tried to make an simple addon for this, but it wont be accurate enough as you can't listen the spell fired and have to rely on spell hits... this means if the icicle launches and the mob dies before the icicle hits, the addon has no way of knowing this. I constantly ended up with the addon showing me that i have 5 icicles left even though i knew i could see i only had 4.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure i follow, how does temp damage increase/reduction not effect icicles??

Anything that modifies your fb/ffb damage must effect your icicles as they are a direct % of the fb/ffb damage dependent on mastery?

With a mastery of 30% say your fb/ffb hits for 1000 it will generate a 300 icicle.

Add in CoE for 5% spell damage and you get 1000+(1000x0.05)=1050 > 1050x0.3=315

Both fb/ffb and icicle have an exact 5% increase in damage?

What am i missing?

If you mean the icicle is not further modified by the 5% as a separate spell then ok, but that would be double dipping and make frost scale crazy with a lot of mastery?

Deleted
    Let me demonstrate:

Lets assume you have 50% mastery (random number)

The boss gains a buff that reduces his dmg taken by 99%

Your frostbolt would normaly hit for 1000 damage and now it hits for 10 damage

The icicle generated would now store damage equilevalent 1000 * 50% = 500 damage.

If you would now launch this newly generated icicle to the boss before the damage reduction buff falls of, it would only deal 5 damage.

On the otherhand, if you wait until the damage reduction buff falls off from the boss, the icicle would hit for 500 damage. This is effectively there to stop icicles from double dipping from "boss takes extra 20% damage in this phase".

So the damage stored into icicle is not modified by damage increasing effects, but the damage the icicle deals when it hits is.
    Last edited by mmoc792326d733; 2013-11-05 at 09:10 AM.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I can't see why that would make sense?

By what you are saying then, if CoE was applied to a boss the 5% damage increase to your damage would not apply to your icicle generated?

By what you are saying then, if CoE was applied to a boss the 5% damage increase to your damage would not apply to your icicle generated?
    In this case, if your Frostbolt would normally do 100 damage, it's now doing 105 damage from the 5% increase from CoE. The icicle stored still uses the 100 damage your Frostbolt would normally hit for though instead of the 105 it actually did hit for. So when you launch the icicle (and CoE is still up) it'll do 100*50%*105% = 52.5 damage. 100 from the original Frostbolt before CoE, 50% from my made up value for your mastery, 105% from CoE.

correct. but when the icicle launches and hits, that damage WILL get the 5% increase.

otherwise as said above you would be "double dipping". getting an extra 5% from the frostbolt damage and then another 5% from the icicles own damage

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ahhh right, when you put it that way now it makes sense, the damage modifier is calculated for the Icicle not the spell that produces it.

Thanks for clearing that up