Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Maybe I missed something along the way, but that contradicts the tooltip which says:
    When you damage enemies with Frostbolt and Frostfire Bolt, x% of the damage done is stored as an Icicle with you, for 30 sec.
    It clearly states that the portion stored is of the damage that was actually done. Is the tooltip wrong on this?

Quote Originally Posted by maizensh View Post
    Maybe I missed something along the way, but that contradicts the tooltip which says:

It clearly states that the portion stored is of the damage that was actually done. Is the tooltip wrong on this?
    The discussion was talking about damage modifiers the boss may have and it affecting the way your mastery is applied to the icicle. An addon won't work well with it.
    Last edited by Mastamage; 2013-11-07 at 12:30 AM.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

Yeah thats why i was confused as well mate, but as someone explained before, if the boss has a 20% damage increase taken debuff say:

Your Fb hits for 10000 with the 20% it will hit for 12000 but the icicle is still calculated from the 10000 and when the icicle hits it then recieves the 20% damage increase. If the icicle was calculated from 12000 it would be larger and then larger still when it hits as it would be "double dipping"

Makes sense when you sit and think about it for a minute as it would be unfair to have the 20% applied twice, on fights that have those type of mechanics, mastery would scale insanely

I don't get it as that still contradicts the tooltip.
    What would make sense is that icicle damage is computed with the debuff (from the final damage that landed on the target), and no further modifications are applied on the icicles to stop double dipping. So the 20% is applied only once, but during the creation of the icicle rather than on its hit.
    That also makes more sense because icicles can't crit or miss.

Either way, I'll check it sometime later to verify whether it's true or not.

Deleted
    I don't get it as that still contradicts the tooltip.
    What would make sense is that icicle damage is computed with the debuff (from the final damage that landed on the target), and no further modifications are applied on the icicles to stop double dipping. So the 20% is applied only once, but during the creation of the icicle rather than on its hit.
    That also makes more sense because icicles can't crit or miss.

Either way, I'll check it sometime later to verify whether it's true or not.
    The reason it's done this way is to stop you raping a boss with 99% damage reduction. Imagine: You stack up to 5 icicles on boss, lets say you stored 10000 damage in total (yes low number to make this easier).

Now the boss casts a shield that reduces all damage the boss takes by 99%.

If the icicles were unaffected by this, you could still pump out that 10k damage onto the boss after he has gained the shield.

I hope that clears it up a bit : )