Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Weapon DPS importance for blood DKs

Our DK tank started a huge wave of QQ because I outrolled him on warforged Gorehowl today. I had Sha of Pride sword and he had Thok polearm, both normal.

AFAIK, weapon damage has no effect on blood DK survivability, and most of tanks' damage and threat comes from vengeance. For melee DPS, weapon damage is obviously the most important thing, and higher ilvl automatically makes a weapon better even if it has worse secondary stats.

Now he is insisting that I should pass on the first heroic 2-hander that drops, no matter what secondary stats it has. I think it benefits the raid far more to give it to a melee DPS, rather than a tank that never has had any issues before with his tanking. Is he just extremely greedy, selfish and butthurt, or does he actually have a point?
    Last edited by Weightlifter; 2013-10-28 at 11:39 PM.

Greedy bastard.

The only thing on the WF weapon would have been stats increase, but even so I believe Thok weapon is better since Crit doesn't do anything for survival while haste does

10+ Year Old Account
    He's just being greedy. DPS should ALWAYS get weapons over tanks.

10+ Year Old Account
    While I agree on that DPS should get the weapon, the larger question is were all the guild established loot rules followed and he was just QQ'ing or did he "win the roll" and they gave it to you over him just because it is better weapon for you where that was never considered before with regards to loot.
    Ideally no one has ever hit the level cap of the last expansion, looked at their dungeon blues, and thought "I win."

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch...all/chuckabear

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckadoodle View Post
    While I agree on that DPS should get the weapon, the larger question is were all the guild established loot rules followed and he was just QQ'ing or did he "win the roll" and they gave it to you over him just because it is better weapon for you where that was never considered before with regards to loot.
    We both rolled using the in-game interface and I won.

As others,and you said, he's QQing. Weapon is almost worthless, apart from bragging rights.
    With our lootrules he could have rolled on it, but if i still played my DK i would have passed it, since it's way better for a melee, than blood.

Basically tell him to learn his class and fuck off :P
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away

He is being greedy.

As a dps you have way more benefit from it then he would, especially considering he already have a pretty decent weapon.

15+ Year Old Account
    He is a giant greedy fuck, and if he even TRIES to roll on the sword of Pride if its Heroic or Warforged for main spec, then he should consider to play another class
    But, he do have a point, more dmg a blood dk can dish out, more healing he will get from Death Strike, bigger Blood shields, less dmg taken
    If he wants a weapon he should get mace of Nazgrim and pass on everything else
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by Frolk View Post
    But, he do have a point, more dmg a blood dk can dish out, more healing he will get from Death Strike, bigger Blood shields, less dmg taken
    that's not how death strike and mastery work.

He is a giant greedy fuck, and if he even TRIES to roll on the sword of Pride if its Heroic or Warforged for main spec, then he should consider to play another class
    If he wants a weapon he should get mace of Nazgrim and pass on everything else
    I really hope you don't play a Blood DK.

Also I'd take the Thok 2h over the Nazgrim one.
    Only the dead have seen the end of war. - George Santayana
    Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. - George Santayana

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Um, weapon DPS is still important for a DK, just no for survival. Tank DPS is important and weapon DPS is one of the best ways to boost your damage.

However, I typically pass weapons to the other strength DPS user in my guild. They get it first and if all things are equal they get the first upgrade. My logic is that while I may very well scale better at certain points with higher weapon damage (in high vengeance times and riposte active), they are always getting full benefit where I might not. While we do scale well with weapon damage it's really only when we are actively tanking a boss. During tank swaps or downtime another strength DPS user is getting full benefit, where our stats end up getting lower.

We both have heroic weapons at the moment and the first heroic warforged weapon I will be passing on. If however another warforged heroic weapon drops and it ends up being of a better stat allocation for the other DPS, I'll be taking it because it's a bigger upgrade to our raid.

Yes he's being greedy. You should care about weapons as a blood DK though, but only when thinking about iLvL. It would be stupid if you had a normal weapon and they had a heroic and you end up passing on the next heroic weapon because it has 'better' stat allocation for the DPS who already has a heroic weapon.

If you really care about getting items 'fastest' the best way of doing it is thinking in terms of overall raid DPS. In your situation I wouldn't have put up a fuss over a normal WF item, it's a bigger upgrade for you. I would however expect the first heroic weapon in this scenario, but if it ended up being heroic WF I would still give it to you because the chance that another one drops would be incredibly low.
    Last edited by Tojara; 2013-10-29 at 12:44 AM.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    omfg sooo wrong :>

Quote Originally Posted by Weightlifter View Post
    We both rolled using the in-game interface and I won.
    Please show him this thread >.>

Btw what class do you play?
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away

Deleted
    I find it funny that people who play tanks, and by definiton get geared as fuck, QQ about loot. Sure they are an important role, but the net gains from this wep are barely noticeable to the raid. IMO if it's an upgrade for either you should be able to roll. If you lose you lose. I hate people that come with theorycrafting argument based on hearsay and speculation, whereas thats absolutely the opposite of what theorycrafting is about.

This is why I love my 10man group. I'm the only strength user.

Yup, adding in another voice saying a weapon should go to a DPS over the tank. Sure, it also helps the Blood DK's DPS, but it isn't going to increase it by the same amount that it will a DPS assuming the DPS is playing properly.

And here's yet another voice saying that the DPS should get the weapon first. It's pretty much certain that the DPS getting it would be a better value than the tank getting it.

If he's whining about it, then he's whining for no good reason (a narcissistic injury is not a good reason). Yawn in his general direction and tell him that instead of whining he could actually be doing something productive such as getting mats for food or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    Noodles and chocolate milk is the breakfast of Champions.
    Super Brony Friendfinder

Is there an echo in here?

But yeah. It's not ideal for him, and boosting his DPS won't boost his survivability. If it had something other than crit (like haste or even Hit/Expertise) then sure, but crit doesn't add much of anything to a Blood DK. The small increase to mastery, str and stam would be the only gain.

If he's the kind to QQ over loot, especially loot he lost fair and square, then it's a victory all the sweeter.

Thok's spear (STR/Haste/mastery/1yellow), Nazgrim's mace (if he can shave a lot of expertise from other gear)(Str/Expertise/Mastery/1yellow), are both better choices from a tanking standpoint.

Prolly just wanted it for faserolling LFR as unholy, or the fact that it has a tendency to tell you naughty things. (though i'm reading DW frost is better DPS ATM, anyway.)

Generally I am of the opinion that weapons should go to DPS first, however without looking at logs or knowing the raid environment (10 or 25?) then I am going to reserve judgement on what would truly be best for the raid team. I can see plenty of situations where giving him a weapon upgrade will be more beneficial to raid progression (but again I don't know your specific details).

If he was running full riposte + crit trinkets (Skeer's + Thok's- not for mastery but for crit damage) and beating the raid by miles on many fights, you'd be better off giving the DK the weapon. The main question would be whether he pulls gobs of damage? I'd assume no, since he's rolling with about 20k mastery. It is an axe and he's an orc, so that's an extra 340 expertise (and 200 stamina) over his current weapon in addition to the extra damage, so stat-wise it's a push for him even though it has crit on it. Which is why you roll.

For the raid's long-term progress? Take turns- unless they're a world-beating DPS, it's silly to keep giving incremental upgrades to the same person. You guys have been ridiculously lucky for a 10m group in terms of tier, weapon, and trinket drops. Including bonus rolls, my raid has seen about 10 trinkets, 6 weapons, and 5 tier pieces over almost 100 boss kills.