Thok HC - Rogue Tips

I would be grateful for tips for this fight from a Rogue POV. We are progressing on this fight next reset (10HC).

I am thinking of going Subtlety for burst on the Jailor.

Burst of Speed for moving out for fixates/kiting or Cloak and Dagger for a quick switch on the Jailor?

Smoke Bomb glyph. Also Feint and Hemo.

Only downside is I will do bad damage on the adds although we have a Frost DK, Enh, Lock and Mage and so have good aoe.

Any other comments?
    Last edited by jtstormrage; 2013-10-30 at 11:23 AM.

Deleted
    I went Subtlety for our first kill. Make sure the boss and your groups are placed so that you can be on the back of Thok.

I took Burst of Speed for kitting.
    While you are in melee range and there are enough caster/healer, Thok can't fixate you. Stay on Thok as much as possible. The jailor will be killed by dots and tanks. You should swich on him only when Thock move too fast and you can't stay on him. And by this time, jailor should be dead, or close to.
    Keep an eye on your life and debuff during the kitting phase during which you can get the Corrosive Blood (stacking dispellable debuff). You will generally outrange healer. Be ready to use CoS and healthstone

For glyph, I used hemo, feint and vanish. But if your group has trouble staying alive during P1, smoke bomb glyph should be considered instead of vanish one (or even hemo if you can keep SV perfectly up).

Your damage on bats will suck. I aoed them, but I'm not even sure it was necessary considering the poor dps you will have on them in Sub spec.
    Last edited by mmoc523905f06a; 2013-10-29 at 10:55 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rahotep View Post
    I went Subtlety for our first kill. Make sure the boss and your groups are placed so that you can be on the back of Thok.

I took Burst of Speed for kitting.
    While you are in melee range and there are enough caster/healer, Thok can't fixate you. Stay on Thok as much as possible. The jailor will be killed by dots and tanks. You should swich on him only when Thock move too fast and you can't stay on him. And by this time, jailor should be dead, or close to.
    Keep an eye on your life and debuff during the kitting phase during which you can get the Corrosive Blood (stacking dispellable debuff). You will generally outrange healer. Be ready to use CoS and healthstone

For glyph, I used hemo, feint and vanish. But if your group has trouble staying alive during P1, smoke bomb glyph should be considered instead of vanish one (or even hemo if you can keep SV perfectly up).

Your damage on bats will suck. I aoed them, but I'm not even sure it was necessary considering the poor dps you will have on them in Sub spec.
    Pretty accurate what I did too. Don't bother attacking adds there are so much better aoe classes for that (unless you really need it). Same with jailor, let range dot him and go on him when you can't stay with thok anymore. When you start focusing him he dies in a few sec. On screeches we did ~25, ~8,~25. I used my smokebomb at 6th screech after first kite phase. This was when we stacked. Remember to not run in RIGHT after a screech because then you will probably transition directly since ppl are low, wait ~1 sec.

Here's my PoV video of the fight where i managed to get a rank 1 on sub rogues.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Cw9vCA8CKk
    Last edited by mmoc8e2ac86f57; 2013-10-29 at 12:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jtstormrage View Post
    I would be grateful for tips for this fight from a Rogue POV. We are progressing on this fight next reset (10HC).

I am thinking of going Subtlety for burst on the Jailor.

Burst of Speed for moving out for fixates/kiting.

Cloak and Dagger for a quick switch on the Jailor.

Smoke Bomb glyph. Also Feint and Hemo.

Only downside is I will do bad damage on the adds although we have a Frost DK, Enh, Lock and Mage and so have good aoe.

Any other comments?
    25 man, I stayed Assassination for some added AoE for the bats, and for the execute. The jailor in the end really didn't need much of a burst since we pretty much were holding opening the door for some time.

All of our melee stayed on Thok for the first 2-3 fixates, and then went to the jailor at that point. We were able to have him dead by the time he was at , I think, 8 stacks. Opening the door at ~12+, we had plenty of time to spare.

Definitely took Burst of Speed for this fight.

I our P1 stacks were something like 27, 27, 20, and left fire phase asap.

10M

Assassination feels better because of less damage loss when off-target.

Ignore jailer--chase him around during the fixate phase and run out when the fixate cast ends.

I was Assassination for our first kill, running BoS with Bomb, Feint, and Vendetta glyphed. I never swapped to Jailors because our tanks + dots killed them quick enough and meleeing it put me out of position for fixates. Damage on the boss is more important anyways.

You can DPS him for the first 3 fixates with BoS and Mut+Rupt as he runs by on later ones. Just make sure you run out as he casts fixate on new targets. He swings around and he'll kill you if you're in melee range.

We saved hero for the bats, but that shouldn't be necessary at current gear levels or even with a better AoE comp (we hero at the start now for better boss damage). We ignored the yeti and tanked the boss in the corridor for blue. Red was tanked near the red cage, which is also out of yeti range.

On subsequent kills, I've run Subt with BoS and Bomb, Feint, and Hemo glyphed. It's just more damage than Mut with the right gear even with time off target. You build CPs with HaT which allows you to Hemo+5CP Rupt Thok as he runs by during later fixates. You can also use those CPs to maintain Recup when kiting and put up SnD before the next stack phase starts. You might need to ask for slight boss positioning readjustments occasionally so you can stay stacked and still attack from behind, but either pulling the boss forward a bit or rotating him a few steps away from the group is usually sufficient. Communication with tanks for positioning is important on any boss as Subt.

After the 3rd fixate (when you can't really do meaningful damage), you should be fishing for fixates. Rogues are one of the best classes for kiting since we can keep +70% speed (BoS), take 30% less damage (Elusiveness), clear debuffs (CoS), heal (Recup), and clear the fixate if something bad happens (Vanish). Priests are the only other class that can do it every time without support.

I don't know if I would play combat here. I imagine KSp will kill you during fixate, but I haven't tried it personally. I might try it next week since I just got a decent 2.6 weapon.

If you're having troubles with maximizing dps on the boss, go Sub or Assn. If you're having troubles burning the bats down, go Combat. Jailor dps shouldn't be your concern at all.
    That's assuming you have similar weapons and can play different specs equally well. If not, go with whatever you're most comfortable, it doesn't really matter. All 3 specs can perform well on this encounter, don't blindly trust WoL and Dpsbots results.

The biggest thing for uptime on Thok during the kite phase is how your ranged/healers (healers preferably) handle the kiting. As long as they aren't turning thok at a 180 degree angle or near that, you should be able to stay in melee range while thok turns. If you see that red line pointing out of his ass, you need to gtfo or you will have a decent chance at getting eaten. Aside from that, all the stuff posted here is good, i personally prefer sub b/c i got better numbers with it, but assassination could be just as good. If you haven't figured it out already, shadowstep WILL kill you during kite phase, so burst of speed is the best option here. With good positioning and good kiters you shouldn't be out of range until he picks the 5th person in the kite phase, before that you should be able to be on him 100%.

Bomb usage will vary depending on your group, i ended up using glyphed bomb during the 2nd bat phase b/c we don't have a pally for bops and our AoE wasn't particularly good (monk tank did the lion's share of damage to them) a feint before a screech should leave you above 50% so you can bomb in the middle of both groups and hit everyone.

Your job is much much easier than the healers and ranged (minus hunters), and likely you will have figured your part of the fight out well before everyone else.