10+ Year Old Account

FFVIII Full cutscene movie

For anyone who either hasn't played the game or just wants to relive the story.

10+ Year Old Account
    Man I remember these graphics being SOO impressive
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Ah my favourite game!

15+ Year Old Account
    Back when Final Fantasy was worth playing.

I never did finish this game lol...I really was horrible when it came to finishing games from that time period. Hell just the other day I was looking at Legend of Dragoons and thinking how I still had to finish that >.< (was digging in an old box of games at the time) Guess I just had way to many to keep up with them all, and never got back around to it. *Disappointed in self*

Quote Originally Posted by Hattai View Post
    Back when Final Fantasy was worth playing.
    No, I actually hold FF8 up as evidence of the eventual downfall.

FF9 was a nice return to form, but then 10 came along and Emperor Nomura was in full control and burying the games under belts and gaping plot holes.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I played the crap out of this, 6, and 7.

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post

FF9 was a nice return to form, but then 10 came along and Emperor Nomura was in full control and burying the games under belts and gaping plot holes.
    Other than the Draw system and Boost, there really wasn't anything terrible about 8. Triple Triad was the shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Gegan View Post
    Other than the Draw system and Boost, there really wasn't anything terrible about 8. Triple Triad was the shit.
    Too many convenient plot devices and characters that were too stupid to live for my taste. Plus the complete back and forth on what technology works or doesn't work yet is still easily found.

Too many convenient plot devices and characters that were too stupid to live for my taste. Plus the complete back and forth on what technology works or doesn't work yet is still easily found.
    Every FF has it's ups and downs. I know FF8 gets a lot of hate but I absolutely love it and a lot of my friend who grew up with it enjoyed it too. I don't think it was the start of a downfall, but the start of a change in the series sure! Obviously not everyone is gonna be happy with changes.
    FF7 was my first FF, but FF8 is my favourite, despite all it's faults!

Quote Originally Posted by Gegan View Post
    Also level scaling and mechanics of gil acquisition. Both didn't make sense, and could be naturally cheesed, level scaling - with proper junctions and non-leveling, and gil... you could have infinite gil just by using initial GFs... screw salary and SeeD ranks ;)
    Story and new gfx were main strong points of FF 8. Gameplay was nothing to write home about.

It was also the game which you had to place twice to fully understand story. And it was the only non-online FF game which had PC port (not counting FF 7, 1st FF 7 port was full of bugs, and 2nd port was done just recently and got DRMd and it is sub-par to original console version without fan-made mods).

Even more so, PC users had access to Chocobo mini-game, which never made it to English versions of FF 8 on consoles. Chocobo mini-game gave access to exclusive in-game items, in particular - one (or was it two? can't remember now) bonus summons.
    FF9 was a nice return to form
    One of my favorite FFs. Too bad it was also one of the shorter ones :/
    Last edited by Ferocity; 2013-10-29 at 07:38 PM.

FF8, ah yes: the nostalgia.

10+ Year Old Account

idd also the painful flashback sequence in FF8 was such a pain that i never actually finished the game.
    "when i'm around you i'm like a level 5 metapod. all i can do is harden!"

The people who cry for censorship aren't going to be buying the game anyway. Censoring it, is going to piss off the people who were going to buy it.
    Barret: It's a good thing we had those Phoenix Downs.
    Cloud: You have the downs!

Loved FF8. Spent wayyyyy too much time playing triple triad! The story was a bit weird and all but I enjoyed it as an early teen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zillionhz View Post
    By fiber be purged

My major beef was that leveling in the game actually made the game more difficult (something I loved to do when I was younger). This was probably exacerbated by the draw system

Deleted
    FF7 was my favourite, but i liked FF8 almost as much. the music starting at 03:22, does bring back some great memories.

Deleted
    This was where fantasies ended for me, it was the end of my console era and i switched to wonderful world of pc gaming. Never got around to play any of the newer ones after 8.

Currently im actually playing FF6 GBA version on pc rom. Which was/is my all time favorite of the series. That one really doesnt hold your hand. Dont know how i ever finished it as a kid seeing that im having my ass kicked quite often on it even now.