Poll: How should Blizz handle "race-expansions" going forward?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I think a cool option would be race height and weight scaling. They already expand gear with the pandaren. So why not?

I wanna play a 7 foot Blood Elf.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Specifically speaking, what race are we due for next? I honestly cannot think of anything that what don't already have.

Exclude Nagas/Murlocs/Vrykul etc... because those will not happen. Be realistic. What is left in Azeroth? Or outside it...

Quote Originally Posted by Chaosclaw View Post
    There don't seem to be that many, but after Pandaren, which were unexpected, I'm sure Blizzard could add any playable race they wanted
    not to mention they add a slew of new species every expansion and dont have to add a race every expansion either. they could easily introduce an entirely new race.

the draenei didnt even exist until bc so anyone who thinks were somehow "out" of new races are seriously lacking in the creative department
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    There don't seem to be that many, but after Pandaren, which were unexpected, I'm sure Blizzard could add any playable race they wanted
    Really? Pandaren have been a possible expansion race since TBC.

And Immitis, the Draenei were in WC3.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    not to mention they add a slew of new species every expansion and dont have to add a race every expansion either. they could easily introduce an entirely new race.

the draenei didnt even exist until bc so anyone who thinks were somehow "out" of new races are seriously lacking in the creative department
    Yeah, sometimes I do like the new races that they introduce (mantid for one) Sorry to say but the Draenei existed in Warcraft 3, but only as broken/eredar, so I guess you can count them as "new"

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess I just don't understand why new character models are so hard to make. Hey I'm not saying they aren't, but when fans of Skyrim can pump out new models for that game for free, why does it take professionals so long to do the same thing for updating WoW?

Quote Originally Posted by Zxzas View Post
    Specifically speaking, what race are we due for next? I honestly cannot think of anything that what don't already have.

Exclude Nagas/Murlocs/Vrykul etc... because those will not happen. Be realistic. What is left in Azeroth? Or outside it...
    naga will happen at some point. blizzard has stated time and time again that they are still in the cards to become playable and multiple people at blizzard have said they would like them playable at some point.

metzen said this on the ce behind the scenes cd back in bc and at blizzcons, ghostcrawler mentioned it just a few months ago.

besides that we have races like ogres, ethereal, arrakoa, dragonkin, jinyu, hozen.

not to mention races we havent even seen yet.

and again, draenei didnt even exist until bc, so a new race may not even be something we wouldve ever guessed before.
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Really? Pandaren have been a possible expansion race since TBC.

And Immitis, the Draenei were in WC3.
    Yeah, Pandaren have been possible. But can you seriously say you expected them to be introduced as playable after cataclysm? I for one did not see it coming.

As long as they implement DHs I really don't care what happens after. I don't mind new models, new lore, etc. but I do like seeing new stuff, that's how I enjoy playing the game, new stuff to play with, I see updated character models as a quality of life change. They're nice, but they won't effect much. They'll just make the races I already play prettier, but I think they're being hyped so much people are going to be upset if its not exactly how they think it'll be.
    I'm getting off topic, but basically...at least give me a DH race. Then no more and do sub races and models and lore and such. (Also, no 4th specs.) With how we've seen Blizz do monks, it is very possible for them to think up somethin new, exciting and different from what is or has been in the game.
    Monks weren't as popular as they weren't like DKs, starting at a higher level and such. Blizz has also never said they won't do hero classes again, quite the opposite. If it fits, and they want to do it they'll do it. And it is very possible as it can coincide with Illidan coming back, whenever Turalyon and Alleria come back (which will definitely have at least some elements of BL with their return), and with all these hints since Cata of the BL (and with Cata's talk of DH, and MoP had actually mentioned it a couple times too), and etc.

Yeah, sometimes I do like the new races that they introduce (mantid for one) Sorry to say but the Draenei existed in Warcraft 3, but only as broken/eredar, so I guess you can count them as "new"
    the draenei as we know them did not exist.

the draenei which are now called the lost ones did and they were a native species to outland and had no relation to the eredar.

the inbetween race that we now have called the draenei were a retcon, in the original lore the eredar corrupted sargeras not the other way around like it is now

Here are my priorities -

New Models for Existing Races > Balance/Refinement of Existing Classes > New Races > New Classes

What I think will actually happen for the expansion is that we'll get a couple updated models, a new neutral race, and a new hero class. Just a guess, or a hunch.
    Jazzhands <Sacred Samophlange>, 6/14H, US-Skywall
    "Query? What do you think I'm here for, tea and biscuits? Spill the beans already!"

next expansion we could have red nathrezim called joobies who were actually good guys we never heard of before back when the nathrezim werent demons.

they could pull another draenei on us. never assume what we know now are the only options when it comes to races

Deleted
    the draenei as we know them did not exist.

the draenei which are now called the lost ones did and they were a native species to outland and had no relation to the eredar.

the inbetween race that we now have called the draenei were a retcon, in the original lore the eredar corrupted sargeras not the other way around like it is now
    Hence why I put they were only known as Broken or Eredar But in Warcraft 3 Akama's faction was still known as "Draenei" so Blizzard didn't pull out a completely new race
    Last edited by mmoc27a4f0fc2b; 2013-10-29 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Additional Information

Hence why I put they were only known as Broken or Eredar But in Warcraft 3 Akama's faction was still known as "Draenei".
    yes but they werent related to each other. it would be like if blizzard decided to make an alien race of tauren who are actually demons and say the tauren originally were aliens who had crash landed instead of a native species to azeroth.

Deleted
    yes but they werent related to each other. it would be like if blizzard decided to make an alien race of tauren who are actually demons and say the tauren originally were aliens who had crash landed instead of a native species to azeroth.
    I think we are going quite off-topic now and should return to the original subject

Quote Originally Posted by Ailyara View Post
    I guess I just don't understand why new character models are so hard to make. Hey I'm not saying they aren't, but when fans of Skyrim can pump out new models for that game for free, why does it take professionals so long to do the same thing for updating WoW?
    Because they don't have to care about armor not fitting and stuff. Armor in, whats the thing called again, creation engine? Anyway the engine that Bethesda's Open World games use have a completly diffrent approach to the way armor is mapped to a character. I'd say a Skyrim model easily has alot more potential options than a wow one, but the wow one has alot of advantages when you have to render a 500 simultainously on your screen (well probably anyway). The thing is wow's engine isn't even prehistoric, it predates time at this point, but changing stuff and just slapping on a new one isn't as easy as it seems, as you still have to support all the old models (from a buisness perspective you don't want to remodel them all to fit your possible new engine).
    Armor in wow is just a stretched texture on your characters body for one half and a few floaty bits scaled by a factor to make sure it fits your race on the rest. In newer games armor is a 3d object like wows shoulders, but they are scaled to fit the body they are supposed to displayed on and depending on the game they can be ridgid, rendered on their own (whith physical calculations), ridgid in some places but in others and many more things. Theres alot more to it than it seems and even in Skyrim, making good looking character models that work with every armor or making good looking armor is not that easy. Also a major factor: To my knowledge in Skyrim everyone uses the same animations, because all use esssentially the same "humanoid" body and skeleton, where wow uses diffrent animations even for the non-antropmorphic races. Making sure there are no clipping errors is also quite time consuming... still multi billion dollar company with a golden cash cow that earns more money than 'god', could probably afford it...

Deleted
    Any time this pops up I just have to ask; Exactly what new races are left that could seriously be considered good racial candidates?
    Off the top of my head:
    >Naga
    > Furbolgs (not right after Pandaren though)
    > Arrakoa
    >Ogre
    >High Elves (if they get a new model)
    > Ethereals

Are some races I'd like to see at some point down the line.

Any time this pops up I just have to ask; Exactly what new races are left that could seriously be considered good racial candidates?
    Furbolgs, Naga, Orges, Etherals
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    wE doN't kNoW wHaT pLaYeRs WaNt FoR cHarAcTeR CrEaTiOn MoDeLs

Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    Off the top of my head:
    >Naga
    > Furbolgs (not right after Pandaren though)
    > Arrakoa
    >Ogre
    >High Elves (if they get a new model)
    > Ethereals

Are some races I'd like to see at some point down the line.
    I'd love to see Ethereals as a new neutral race. I think Ogres and Arrakoa could be cool, but I just dont like the thought off Naga, Furbolgs, or High Elves.
    Jazzhands <Sacred Samophlange>, 6/14H, US-Skywall
    "Query? What do you think I'm here for, tea and biscuits? Spill the beans already!"

Deleted
    We've reached a point where there are enough playable races.
    Factions like the Horde already have huge trust issues among its current races, why the fuck would we keep allowing new, unfamiliar races into our fragile society, especially when people want evil races such as Naga.