Page 1 of 21
... LastLast
    Deleted

Ms Hussein scared over reactions to female genital mutilation

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/londo...s-8908877.html

A Londoner who suffered female genital mutilation has warned that political correctness is hampering the fight to stamp it out after asking people to sign a fake petition in its favour.

Leyla Hussein, 32, said many were scared to speak out against FGM because they were worried about criticising another culture.

She decided to conduct an experiment to see “how crazy political correctness has become” but was left in tears by the end.

Approaching shoppers with the petition supporting FGM, she told them she wanted to protect her “culture, traditions and rights”.

In only 30 minutes 19 people signed it with some saying they believed FGM was wrong but because it was part of Ms Hussein’s culture they would add their names. Only one person refused to sign.

Her campaign against FGM is the subject of a Channel 4 documentary, The Cruel Cut, which features the shocking scenes where she asks people to sign the petition.

Speaking after the experiment in Northampton, Ms Hussein broke down and said she was scared by people’s reactions.

“I kept using the word ‘it’s just mutilation’. They were like ‘yes, you are right’. How can anyone think that’s okay?”

She added: “FGM is not culture, it is violence. Stop using the culture word. This is happening to children. We are human beings, we can’t watch children being cut, I don’t care what culture you belong to.”

Ms Hussein, who is co-founder of the anti-FGM charity Daughters of Eve, is calling on the Home Office to take responsibility for drawing up an action plan to eliminate FGM in this country.

No single government department has responsibility for ending FGM. Instead, work is shared between the Home Office, departments of Health and Education, the Ministry of Justice and Crown Prosecution Service. The documentary follows Ms Hussein as she tries to secure an interview with Home Secretary Theresa May, and features the upsetting stories of a group of FGM survivors living in the UK, some of whom have been left wetting the bed or unable to have children.

It also highlights the impact that articles published in the Evening Standard have had on the fight against FGM. More than 66,000 women in the UK have already undergone FGM and about 24,000 girls are at risk.

Although the practice has been outlawed in Britain since 1985, it is still carried out. Victims are typically from families who moved to the UK from countries such as Somalia, Sudan, Senegal and Egypt, where it is widespread. Ms Hussein, who was cut when she was seven in Somalia, said: “Four women held me down and cut my clitoris. I felt every single cut. I was screaming so much I just blacked out.”

The documentary, to be broadcast next week, comes after public health minister Jane Ellison warned that vulnerable girls were being failed because people do not want to be seen as “culturally insensitive”.

In an interview with the Evening Standard she said: “Because of that caution, bizarrely we’ve ended up protecting these vulnerable girls the least.” Ms Ellison condemned FGM as child abuse and said she was determined to end decades of failure to protect women.

The Cruel Cut will be shown on Channel 4 on Wednesday, November 6 at 10.45pm.
    Does anyone else feel that this is just going too far.. especially this part:
    The documentary, to be broadcast next week, comes after public health minister Jane Ellison warned that vulnerable girls were being failed because people do not want to be seen as “culturally insensitive”.
    Approaching shoppers with the petition supporting FGM, she told them she wanted to protect her “culture, traditions and rights”.

In only 30 minutes 19 people signed it with some saying they believed FGM was wrong but because it was part of Ms Hussein’s culture they would add their names. Only one person refused to sign.
    This seems to be seriously messed up. Why are people so afraid of criticizing?

Not as messed up as telling other cultures in other countries what they can and can not do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Not as messed up as telling other cultures in other countries what they can and can not do.
    Cultural relativism is messed up.

10+ Year Old Account
    In this day of trying to respect other cultures. This isn't shocking. It's wrong, but I find it not a shock that people don't want to offend people's culture. People can get really stirred up if you offend their culture.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Yeah, that's our job. Back the fuck off, Europe.
    We were doing it before Columbus was a twinkle in the milkman's eye. Back down junior.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    This seems to be seriously messed up. Why are people so afraid of criticizing?
    Exactly because of political correctness, they fear being labeled a racist, so they rather just lie or tip toe around the issue.

why does morality stop at the national border?

We should just have let the Germans eradicate all the jews... you know since its their culture so how can we say its wrong?

Yes, i Godwinned this already but seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by Vathdar View Post
    Exactly because of political correctness, they fear being labeled a racist, so they rather just lie or tip toe around the issue.
    Who made your culture "better"?

Swooping in and making over other cultures in your image because it's "right" is absolutely heinous.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    We should just have let the Germans eradicate all the jews... you know since its their culture so how can we say its wrong?

Yes, i Godwinned this already but seriously?
    The sad thing is, we kinda did let them. Main reason we intervened was because they invaded other countries.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    why does morality stop at the national border?
    Your morality is subjective to your culture.

I'm a firm believer in Star Trek's "Prime Directive" where you cannot interfere with the natural evolution of other cultures.

10+ Year Old Account
    Second star to the right, and straight on till morning
    Who made your culture "better"?

Swooping in and making over other cultures in your image because it's "right" is absolutely heinous.
    I get that this is a Tilli thread, but are you really attempting to justify genital mutilation because it has a cultural history? So did incest, cannibalism, nepotism, racism, xenophobia and poor dental hygiene. Good lord man.

Quote Originally Posted by DestroDoc View Post
    I get that this is a Tilli thread, but are you really attempting to justify genital mutilation because it has a cultural history? So did incest, cannibalism, nepotism, racism, xenophobia and poor dental hygiene. Good lord man.
    One word: Rowanda.

And this thread is built upon racism, or more specifically the belief you can judge other cultures because you're superior.

Deleted
    No.... just no....

Deleted
    I am against it purely because I believe it should be a choice.

The problem is "female genital mutilation" quickly becomes "female circumcision" in a semantics debate and because of that most people think that "female circumcision" sounds ok (regardless of if circumcision itself is ok or not). It isn't and it shouldn't be.

It also seems like people are beginning to see Tilli as the resident MMO-Champion racist. Not a thing to be proud of by any stretch.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

10+ Year Old Account
    Well there are things that are wrong, even if X or Y people think they are not

Quote Originally Posted by maxilian View Post
    Well there are things that are wrong, even if X or Y people think they are not
    Only because people Z feel that way.

Same thing happened with the Native Americans, one of the largest genocides in history.

10+ Year Old Account
    The sad thing is, we kinda did let them. Main reason we intervened was because they invaded other countries.
    Actually we didn't know throughout the war that the camps existed for the reason that they did.
    Hey everyone

Well, it's arguably British culture and tradition to be very passive with regards to attacking other people's culture. The people all disapprove, but keep it to themselves because it wouldn't be polite to go off about how FGM is wrong. It's quite a specifically British characteristic.

That's not too say you wouldn't get similar things happening in other places but I do think that if you did this in the US you'd have a lot more people objecting because they're more open with their feelings.

One word: Rowanda.

And this thread is built upon racism, or more specifically the belief you can judge other cultures because you're superior.
    I AM superior to any culture that involves FGM.

Quote Originally Posted by Imbs View Post
    I AM superior to any culture that involves FGM.
    Thank you for affirming my point.