Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Camping Lowbies on a PvP server

Normally I would take the side of the Camper on a PvP server (PvP on a PvP Server), but for this question I will stay neutral.

Do you think there should be penalties / mechanics in place to limit the amount of camping a player can do to another player on a PvP server?

Camping is defined as the act of killing a player, and then staying around to find the player when they res, and kill them again and again and again.

For example, if a level 90 is continuously killing a level 25 in a contested territory, what if after say 5 kills of the player, the 90 gets a debuff that downgrades their items / level to the same level as the 25, so at least the 25 has a chance to fight back?

This was discussed at length a while ago and has been beaten to death. This has always been in the game, Blizzard has gone on record numerous times that they aren't changing it. As you mentioned, it's a PvP server, you know the risks when you created the character. I believe that's all that needs to be said.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope. PvP server is PvP server is PvP server. Griefing and camping is annoying but it's part of being there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Once there comes penalties for doing something that should be allowed, the rage on forums will become insane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post

Nope. Camping, griefing, and ganking are the whole reason PvP servers exist. If you don't want those sorts of things, or have a fundamental problem with them (as I do), just avoid such servers.

10+ Year Old Account
    To once again quote Bob Barker:

"Aww, too bad."

That's what you signed up for.
    Enstraynomic - League of Legends
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thallidomaniac View Post
    To once again quote Bob Barker:

"Aww, too bad."

That's what you signed up for.
    Well, he is 100% right with that.
    Their game, their rules. Simple as that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post

In my opinion it's part of the hazing process when you start on a PvP server. Good times. When you play long enough you learn how to avoid most of it when needed.

If you play on a PVP server... you chose wisely....and you should suffer the consequences. You don't like it go to a PVE server

Maybe the new item scaling thing from dungeons will take effect when you enter zones, to prevent camping.

So, when you enter the Northern Barrens, you're lvl 20, when you enter Silithus you're lvl 60, etc...

I think I'm onto to something.

I don't consider ganking lowbies pvp. World pvp is never "equal" or "fair" per se, but the hp/dmg spread is so wide between low level and level-capped players that a low level player never even gets a chance to fight back due to being one-shotted.

Most people who roll a character on a pvp server know what's up, though, and getting ganked/camped becomes a rite of passage.

10+ Year Old Account
    I /wave and /hi to lowbies I run into on my warrior. If they wave or respond back, I /salute and let 'em live. If after like 20 emotes they ignore me or keep trying to run after /calming and even communicating with them via my pets, I'll kill them for being rude. >: (

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mukki View Post
    I /wave and /hi to lowbies I run into on my warrior. If they wave or respond back, I /salute and let 'em live. If after like 20 emotes they ignore me or keep trying to run after /calming and even communicating with them via my pets, I'll kill them for being rude. >: (

I LOVE YOU

I want to PvP with you

#Plays on a pvp realm to camp lowbies some day
    #Gets pissed after being camped

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Do you think there should be penalties / mechanics in place to limit the amount of camping a player can do to another player on a PvP server?
    There are already. If the one-sided PvP is so disruptive and/or chronically targetted you can call a GM to stop it from happening. Unfortunately GM wait times are through the roof.

The only other thing to do is to release, run to a different spirit healer and resurrect there (if possible).
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/T/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/0/1 | Mafia: 1/6/0/7 | TPR: 0/4/1/5
    SK: 0/1/0/1 | VT: 2/5/2/7 | Cult: 1/0/0/1

PvP server at work. Nope, nothing wrong with it. I can recall many times where I was leveling an alt, and a higher level player (maxed or simply higher level questing player) killed me, and I followed it up by taking my main out and camping them until they logged out. Revenge would be less sweet if there were restrictions. And whatever excuses people want to throw around, ganking is still PvP.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's all part of the game, but it honestly makes me wonder how people can camp bodies for sooooo long. I know if you have time to sit down and play WoW you're not really doing anything else, but COME ON man. I've seen people do it for hours. I just don't see how it's fun.

I personally just log onto my Hunter, and then camp them for 3 or so kills, then leave and see if they keep going.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebert View Post
    There are already. If the one-sided PvP is so disruptive and/or chronically targetted you can call a GM to stop it from happening. Unfortunately GM wait times are through the roof.

The only other thing to do is to release, run to a different spirit healer and resurrect there (if possible).
    The last time I played the game, I would camp new questers for hours on end. I even had one guy get on a same faction toon and yell at me and tell me im an ass for continuing to kill him and he was new to the server blah blah blah.

I think putting in a penalty would be the wrong choice, because it effectually changes the PvP server into a semi care bear PvE server.

Bloodsail Admiral Transmigration's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Where is all this deadly combat taking place?! I've leveled a couple toons since cross-realm was implemented and I've yet to be camped. Killed, yes, but not more than 2 or 3 times by the same guy. I used to enjoy switching over and going at it with the guy on one of my geared toons. If he still won, good for him. I always thought it was funny, the lowbies would call the guy a noob for killing low level toons, but he was fully geared and high rated in PvP. He'll kick your ass on your main too, he's just an asshole haha.

As far as camping is concerned, I personally don't do it. I start to feel bad. Every once in a while I'll throw an engi bomb at a lowbie though for fun. It's pretty hillarious one shotting someone with a saronite bomb that wouldn't scratch someone 80+. Even tricked a couple people with the exploding pets. Funny stuff.

No, I do not.

Getting ganked at low levels nurtures inside you the hate necessary to stimulate a healthy Warcraft environment when you get to the max level.

Getting ganked at low levels turned me into the quality player I am today, and I make sure to remind every low level character I meet on a PVP server that living is dangerous in Warcraft, and I do my job well.

People who don't get ganked at low levels are the types of people who get to do the legendary cloak quest and complain they have to win 2 BGs for it. You can see straight up that they've never nurtured fear and anger while leveling.