Poll: Old talent trees or new talent options

Page 1 of 13
... LastLast
    Deleted

Old talent trees or new talent options

So looks like we will be keeping the MoP talent system going forward.

https://twitter.com/Ghostcrawler/sta...59476557148161

And according to one of the tweets millions hate the new system. So which one do you prefer?

Deleted
    First of all. Someone stating that 5 million quit and didn't like the talent system, is not really a proper source for such information. As well as "All I talk to ingame hate it". Bias and non-empiric.

Second, we have had this discussion a hundred times.

Third, I don't love it but neither did I love the old one. So this one can stay as much as the old one can come back, for all I care.

10+ Year Old Account
    Love the new one. Old one was garbage dressed up to look pretty.

I've never understood why people dislike the new one. I mean, really? Was picking that +1%crit REALLY that exciting to you?
    US - Eitrigg - <Bank Space is Magic>
    Delupi, Amoora, Jisu, Beahru, Rusa, Yeun, Neralyis, Usii, Razzil, Zaramja, Oshaz, Shawnie, Iziss, Gearsi(A)

I like the old talent trees way more.
    Intel i5 6600k - Gigabyte Z170X-UD3 - Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4 @ 2400Mhz - Asus Strix GTX 1080 - Asus PG279Q - Samsung Evo 850 500GB SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post

I've never understood why people dislike the new one. I mean, really? Was picking that +1%crit REALLY that exciting to you?
    Yep. It felt like your character actually got stronger as you levelled. The new one is entirely based on endgame, which is fun but not as immersive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

I really don't understand why people would prefer to have the old talent system back. It was bad, was forcing you to take some useless Talents that was made mostly for PVP use even if you did not want to play PVP and you did not have the ability to swap over Talents during raids.
    The old Talent system should never return. I guess some adjustments could be made to the new Talent system like some of the 90 lvl Talents for some Classes but that is all.
    Whoever says the old Talent system was better, probably believes that raiding was better in Vanilla old days....

Why don't you just necro one of the thousands of old threads on the same topic?

Summary
    Player a - Old talents rock, new ones suck
    Player b - New talents rock, old ones only gave an illusion of choice

Rinse / repeat until people grow bored

Hate the new system. It feels way too streamlined, and even though people will come and say everyone "had" to go for the cookiecutter, thats simply not true for many classes where you could have variations depending on setups.
    The new one feels like Blizz dont trust me with making my own decisions.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alphamage View Post
    I really don't understand why people would prefer to have the old talent system back. It was bad, was forcing you to take some useless Talents that was made mostly for PVP use even if you did not want to play PVP and you did not have the ability to swap over Talents during raids.
    The old Talent system should never return. I guess some adjustments could be made to the new Talent system like some of the 90 lvl Talents for some Classes but that is all.
    Whoever says the old Talent system was better, probably believes that raiding was better in Vanilla old days....
    And now you aren't forced into choosing a certain type of predetermined bonus? That's what the whole new talent system distills down to.

New ones are much better. While there are go-to talents, in some cases for me personally I will switch talents around, which is much more than I can say for the old system. The old system looked and possibly *felt* better because it looked like a lot of things and as someone else said it made you feel like you were advancing (besides just getting more stats), but ultimately everything there was predetermined with pretty much zero deviation other than where you put a handful of points and even then it was pretty much "Do you PVP? If yes put 2 points in Talent X. If no, put 2 points in Talent Y".

Maybe they could do a hybrid? Give each class optional abilities like the new system that you can pick and change, and keep the normal point distribution. Maybe split it into active/passive, with active talents all being the new system and passive talents being the old system?

Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    Yep. It felt like your character actually got stronger as you levelled. The new one is entirely based on endgame, which is fun but not as immersive.
    Yet people RUSH as fast as they can to lvl 90 and almost noone cares what happens before 90.

I'd say the argument you provided, slowly died as the WoW years went by.

For good or bad? I don't know and wouldn't go into that.

10+ Year Old Account
    I liked the old one better. Can live with the new one but will forever miss the old one.

Also the "choice" the new tree gives you is a load of BS, as I have argued before.

EDIT: I think combining the trees into a hybrid system would work the best.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post

Whilst levelling up it was nice to be able to pick a talent every level, even if it was something like +1%crit, it felt like your character was actually getting stronger with each level. At max level though you just picked whatever was the strongest build at the time. The new trees have more options, but there is still a preferred build for most things, so really they aren't very different in that regard.

Deleted
    I want the old ones back, the new ones dont offer choice at all 90% of the time with the old ones you could have some crazy hybrid specs which was simply awesome

15+ Year Old Account
    I see both sides of the coin, while I much prefer the new system, there is a lack of 'choice of reward' while leveling up. But as soon as you realise all the fodder that you selected while leveling up is automatically given to you when you level even there there is no argument...

I dislike the arguement of 'choice' the old talent trees had maybe 1 or 2 'spare' points that you could put where you wanted - purely because those points made no difference. Any other deviations from the 'cookie cutter' spec would be a noticeable loss. Those that didn't know about the 'right' spec would often trail far behind.

The new specs will always have an optimal talent for different bosses, realistically it is going to be impossible to 100% balance talents, but they are fairly close, While some fights might favour Divine Star or Halo on my priest, I can run Cascade because I prefer it and it doesn't make a huge difference. People spend too much time worrying about 1-2% when the only people that really need to worry about that are in the top 100 guilds...
    Last edited by Kuniku; 2013-10-30 at 11:26 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    I want the old ones back, the new ones dont offer choice at all 90% of the time with the old ones you could have some crazy hybrid specs which was simply awesome
    And the old one didn't offer any choice 100% of the time.
    So this is way way way better!

Quote Originally Posted by Grishnaar View Post
    Yet people RUSH as fast as they can to lvl 90 and almost noone cares what happens before 90.

I'd say the argument you provided, slowly died as the WoW years went by.

For good or bad? I don't know and wouldn't go into that.
    That strengthens my argument. It's things like this that kill immersion. Not no immersion that created things like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

I'd rather have 3 viable options than ten +2% dmg talents. Also since every good mechanic from former talent trees is a spec related passive skill in Mop, I see zero reasons to go back to old talent trees.

The problem in general is that in almost all cases there is a "guaranteed" way to pick the talents. If everyone (barring newbs who don't know better yet) pick the same talents, then why bother having talents at all? That's the reason we have the new system in the first place; the old system was nothing but cookie-cutter. I think the only time I ever changed talents in the old system was if I wanted to use Consecration for adds on my Paladin, and for 5-mans on my Warrior to take Thunderstruck for more AOE. Other than that, all most people did was go to EJ or similar site and put talents where the theorycrafters said they needed to put talents for more DPS/mitigation/whatever.

Compare that to the system now where I change a couple of talents every few bosses because some bosses have adds or higher group damage with everyone stacked up so I'll take Light's Hammer instead of Holy Prism, or I don't need a burst of speed but frequent movement so I'll take Long Arm of the Law over Speed of Light, etc. There tends to be at least 2 talents that get switched around frequently, and the remaining ones are much less frequent with at least one (Eternal Flame and before that Sacred Shield for Protection) never changing just because.

Deleted
    I liked getting a talent point every lvl, it felt like you were growing. At max level however you just went with whatever the theory crafters deemed best. With maybe a handful of point up for grabs if you were lucky.

The new system is less fun while lvling, but it at least gives you a real choice. Sure some tiers for some classes still have must have talents, but on a whole they are a lot less set in stone then they did in the old system. I feel a lot less forced into a certain build these days.

I was very sceptical when the new system was first announced, but I warmed up to it and like it now .