Have you ever ran a red light?

If so:

When:

Where:

Why:

We would all like to know!

Mine:

When: 2 am in the morning a few years ago

Where: The intersection of a major freeway entrance, also at a T intersection with no cars coming in either direction

Why: No cars were coming, I was tired and didnt feel like waiting up to 3-5 minutes for the light to turn green (yes in fact this happens, and sometimes it looks like its turning green when the little walk guy turns into a red hand on the side, but then it goes back to a little walk guy again.. so frustrating)

Deleted
    Once by accident, it was amber and I thought I could beat it, I never.

At least once a day.

*~To change one's life: Start immediately. Do it flamboyantly.~*

10+ Year Old Account
    Of course, but when, where, and why? Hell if I remember.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    A few times I have on my motorcycle. There are many street lights that are triggered by a sensor under the pavement, and only when a vehicle gets close to it will change the light. Sometimes my motorcycle wont change it. I literally spent 4-5 minutes at a stop light very late at night before I finally went through on a red light.

Only once, at a left turn signal. The light went through three cycles without ever giving me a green at like 11 at night, so I just said screw it.

10+ Year Old Account
    In Cyprus, it is accepted practice to go through a red light once pedestrians have crossed or the other side has no vehicles (the drivers behind start tooting if you don't), so every day for about three years I ran them.

Cyprus has a high number of car accidents...go figure.

Red lights, not usually because they've all got stupid red light cameras on most of the ones on my way anywhere. But I've gone through a Stop sign late at night before, if it's a 4-way stop anyway. I just check to make sure it's safe, slow down a bit, but then just roll on through it. Because fuck stopping for nothing at 3am.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Red lights, not usually because they've all got stupid red light cameras on most of the ones on my way anywhere.
    There is only one red light camera in my area, however every traffic light has a camera for what I have no Idea.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    There is only one red light camera in my area, however every traffic light has a camera for what I have no Idea.
    Yeah the little ones are just traffic cameras and shit like that, red light cameras suck, or they do the "speed on green" shit now which is just a fuckin crock of shit too...assholes...

but now I know where they all are so I do the speed limit leading up to the intersection, then get back up to normal person speed once I'm through it.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    They could be used for accidents, as they often occur at junctions, or for numberplate identification purposes - I know that a lot of the cameras in Britain are used by the police for the latter.

I've never intentionally run a red light. I'm sure I've probably cut it very close a few times attempting to beat the transition from yellow to red. I'm pretty sure the light is always yellow when I go through it though.

Never noticed if our major intersection has any red light cameras or not. I don't believe so. Usually, the worst traffic problem we have here are overzealous state troopers who hang out in areas where the speed limit is unreasonably low (think 40mph zones for like a one-mile stretch of barren road where you almost have to ride your brakes to avoid "speeding") and nail people. I imagine they do that in pretty much all states though.
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2013-10-30 at 08:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Accidentally? Sure

Some places just have god-awful light locations, especially with right turns and multi-lane intersections.

Purposely? Technically no.

If I'm past the line and can't back up (the most unlikely event of courtesy) I have the right to go... even though it's dangerous and hard to defend.

Recently I've had some shit in a mini try to muscle his way through a red light in the opposite lane as I was making a left turn while I was a car's length past the line waiting for my turn to go.
    There are no bathrooms, only Zuul.

I have gotten 7 or 8 of the camera tickets since they put them in in my town. If i am driving in the middle of the night most times I slow down for red lights. I failed my first driver test due to a run stop sign and red light.

10+ Year Old Account
    I frequently run red lights. I take a lot of side streets to my work, so most of these are during the day on my commute. Requirements for running a red light:

1. The intersection must be safe for me to go through, meaning no other cars turning into lanes they should not be.
    2. The light must be red for no more than 2 seconds, because otherwise the other lights start to turn green and that's bad news.
    3. The intersection must have no cops around.

I also frequently run stop signs. Again, requirements for running a stop sign:

1. I must have full visibility of the intersection, I must not obstruct anyone or break the right of way.
    2. There must be no cops around.

Also I will frequently run entirely red lights in the middle of the night when it's entirely safe and there are no cops around.

It's such a large waste of time to stop at an intersection just because a light or a sign tells me to. As long as I don't hurt anyone and the law doesn't see, I could care less about running a red light or stop sign.

I lived a block from a light that went sensor mode after 9 or 10 pm. But the sensor was terrible, and the light was literally programmed to only swap when the sensor was tripped. Really it should have been a flashing yellow for the through lane and flashing red for my left turn...

I'm Dutch, we ride bicycles... Yeah; I'd wager every Dutchie has run red lights.
    I've never done so in a car, however. That stuff's dangerous.

Deleted
    Yes, I would say I do it once a week on average.
    Why? Because it just switched from yellow to red so I keep going.

None, not many lights where I live.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

I sat at a red light for abound 8 minutes on the way to a family dinner. God how I wish I was able to turn right or not be the car at the front of the line. I was considering running the light but cross traffic comes down a giant curved hill, so it's moving at a fast pace and my wife was pregnant.