Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Question Rogue challenge mode BIS gear.

Hey guys. Just levelled my rogue to 90 purely for challenge modes, but im wondering if you guys know of Any links to list's of bis gear for challenge modes. Ive googled it had a look around but cant really find anything.

Im planning on playing assassination for them.

Thanks in advance.

Deleted
    I doubt you will find any BiS gear lists for this sort of thing since people who take the rankings seriously won't want to give anybody else an advantage. Having done this with <460ilvl, no meta sockets, no raid/leg/shoulder enchants, I can just tell you to go with whatever gear you have.

But to give you some ideas. You should go with gear that have the most sockets (3 in your belt from Feng in MSV for example), the best procs on trinkets (Darkmoon Faire + Elegon) and make sure to go in there with enchants like Dancing Steel & meta sockets equipped, it makes life so much easier!

Deleted
    As long as you're just going for gold, 463+ gear that is reforged, gemmed and enchanted for 93+ mobs is more than enough. You want to spec combat for most of the CMs though - trash pack killing speed > boss killing speed.

If chasing realm/region firsts, some pointers:
    - Gear with sockets is preferable as gems don't scale down
    - 463 scenario rewards have higher stat budgets than other items
    - Farm heroics for 463's with the best secondary stats
    - Ghost Iron Dragonling trinkets is nuts

I did a few challenge modes over the weekend and our set up wasn't great. I was the 2nd hunter and i was about 4k dps behind the other hunter. We did the same aoe rotation Serpent spread, Exp shot and Exp trap. The main differences was he had much more crit because I was stuck with MSV heroic agility gear that lacks Crit. We still got a couple of gold runs, but saying that itemization is not important is not true. Focus on items with your best secondary stat.

Also the sha touched weapon 500 agi gem doesn't add up, but the Prismatic socket gives a little boost.

Deleted
    For the sake of the argument, here's a BiS list off the top of my head:

You can view it with reforges/gems etc. at http://shadowcraft.mmo-mumble.com/eu/draenor/lachtobi/# - in the cogwheel menu, press Load snapshot and select "Combat - CM Optimized".

Just throwing this here, if someone wants to do a good research and makes a well-written post (and keeps it updated), it will surely be sticky matter to me.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamble8373 View Post
    Hey guys. Just levelled my rogue to 90 purely for challenge modes, but im wondering if you guys know of Any links to list's of bis gear for challenge modes. Ive googled it had a look around but cant really find anything.

Im planning on playing assassination for them.

Thanks in advance.
    You should aim for pieces with most sockets, like protector pants and feng belt. Than try to find mastery/hit/exp/haste itemized pieces. And well... if you are freshly dinged, then youll be missing legendary gem and two prismatic sockets (500+160+160 agi)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    Just throwing this here, if someone wants to do a good research and makes a well-written post (and keeps it updated), it will surely be sticky matter to me.
    Don't think we can take it much further than a BiS list and spec recommendations though. This is very much still an open race where special tactics are kept secret, so I'm not sure much more could be said than what is already common sense for anyone playing at that competitive level.

A Challenge Mode: Gold dungeon-by-dungeon guide for rogues could be useful though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachtobi View Post
    Don't think we can take it much further than a BiS list and spec recommendations though. This is very much still an open race where special tactics are kept secret, so I'm not sure much more could be said than what is already common sense for anyone playing at that competitive level.

A Challenge Mode: Gold dungeon-by-dungeon guide for rogues could be useful though.
    As i said, it's now how much one writes, but the quality and keeping it updated will make the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by vertol View Post
    You should aim for pieces with most sockets, like protector pants and feng belt. Than try to find mastery/hit/exp/haste itemized pieces. And well... if you are freshly dinged, then youll be missing legendary gem and two prismatic sockets (500+160+160 agi)
    The 500 stat legendary gem does not work in challenge modes.

10+ Year Old Account
    For the sake of the argument, here's a BiS list off the top of my head:

You can view it with reforges/gems etc. at http://shadowcraft.mmo-mumble.com/eu/draenor/lachtobi/# - in the cogwheel menu, press Load snapshot and select "Combat - CM Optimized".
    Thanks for the info but snapshots are not public, they are local saves.

Quote Originally Posted by Lohe View Post
    If you're semi-hardcore or semi-casual what's the other half? To me, they're both the same thing.
    Canicus - 577 - Arcane Mage - US Mal'Ganis Horde - 12/14H T16

Deleted
    Thanks the reply guys. yeah i know how challenge modes work im 9/9 on 2 ch's i was just looking for a made out list of the gear with the stats already looked at and pointed out whats the best. like a BIS list for current raid content. but for challenge modes

Just wanted to point out that there's nothing kept secret in the 95% of the world time challenge modes. Most of the player doing those runs stream / fraps everything and are very open to any question (I personally streamed everything until last week and every run I didn't stream I frapsed). So there's no secret tactic that you can't find out by simply going on youtube. (Playlist of all of my runs: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...pGFQtbwm7eAb4b)

As for the recommended items, I can'T help much since I didn't touch my rogue since late dragon soul but I' pretty sure the engineering trinket, while good, isn't worth of a BiS for CMs.

Deleted
    I've been watching your streams, but it's not my impression that a lot of world time hunters do this? Do you know of any top ranked rogues who does?

http://www.twitch.tv/stabbedbygingi used to do them on his rogue but he switched to his hunter for most of the runs now. You could probabbly look at his archives.

More sockets isn't any better in challenge modes than it is anywhere else. If you wanted a same-itemlevel piece with better stats but fewer sockets outside challenge modes, you'll want the same better-stats-fewer-sockets piece in challenge modes.

Sockets shouldn't have any effect on scaling. If they do, then blizzard's scaling function is just bad.

Edit: I just looked and yup, sockets cause something to be overbudget, which means blizzard's devs aren't scaling the correct way. The correct way would be like this: Take original stat budget, add back the itemization budget used by each socket, multiply the stats by the scaling value, then subtract the socket itemization. i.e., if something has say 900 agility and 2 sockets, it subtracts that agility to 740, on the actual item. Then it should add the 160 back to get to 900, multiply the 900 by the correct scaling factor (say 0.7), then subtract the 160 from the new scaling value (so 900 * 0.7 = 630, then subtract 160 so that the new agility value is 470. This means socketed gear becomes no more valuable than unsocketed gear outside of the normal bonus you get from sockets (socket bonus and more flexibility with how you appropriate stats). (that add-then-subtract method also works if you do that to capped stats, only in that case you would do a subtract-then-add).

The way they appear to be doing it is to just multiply the original value by the scaling value, so that the amount removed by the socket is reduced. This leads to stat-creep on socketed gear. Best way to see this is to go into a challenge mode dungeon and look at your tier set pieces in atlasloot. You'll see the agility (and secondary stats) creep up with item level. Scaling gems would fix it but cause other problems (for example, it would devalue jewelcrafting and blacksmithing as challenge mode professions).
    Last edited by shadowboy; 2013-02-20 at 09:30 PM.

Deleted
    How can Ghost Iron Dragonling be better than the Bottle of Infinite Stars, it's just nuts, even scaled down.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowtracks View Post
    How can Ghost Iron Dragonling be better than the Bottle of Infinite Stars, it's just nuts, even scaled down.
    Because of the two engineer sockets which aren't scaled down and are overbudget given the ilvl.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    Because of the two engineer sockets which aren't scaled down and are overbudget given the ilvl.
    How does this compare to bloodsoaked chitin fragment, 750 mastery and 800 agility on a trinket would appear to have a higher EP value.

Also, if engineering cogwheels don't scale down, wouldn't the engineer only goggles be BiS if not using the dragonling?
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

I wanted to ask a couple questions regarding this:

1) I am assuming the new trinkets from Throne are pretty useless in challenge modes, is that correct? With haste being brought down, I imagine they don't proc very often.

2) Do state weighs change at all? Should I be trying to get more haste than mastery for challenge modes?

3) Has the list of BiS gear changed at all?

I know I am a bit late to the challenge mode party, but I seem to have finally found a group of people who are dedicated and would like to make sure I can geared correctly.

MOD NOTE: Yes, the thread is old, but it's still current and relevant, and none of the information has changed significantly. Feel free to respond and continue the discussion. -Mugajak
    Last edited by Kael; 2013-06-27 at 05:25 PM.