Help me understand current gearing path please :)

I want to pose a question in a way to remove bias and flame that usually gets in the way when someone is speaking for themselves (with strong bias towards their wants).

Let us say a new player; new to MMOs gets their first character to level 90 today. What is the path this person is going to take at getting into the current content? Realistically how long would it take this person to get to that point.

I'm using a new player, in a new to them genre, with a fresh max level character specifically for several reasons. They have no knowledge of past paradigms. They have no idea of what they should do or how they should go about it. They wouldn't have any gold; because new players are notorious for spending it as they level, not maximizing earnings, nor know much about the auction house. This means that buying gear is not an option.

For this particular purpose, let us also assume this person has no desire to PvP, nor would they be able to do so in any adequate way if they tried. They would be fodder and fodder usually won't (at least ones with any sanity) continue to just run to their instant death for hours, days, weeks.

We'll assume that this person is in quest reward gear appropriate for their class. They wouldn't know about farming rares or elites, so they are in basic greens and maybe a low ilvl blue or two.

On a positive note, let us assume this person knows their class and spec well. They understand priorities and how to move and use defensive cooldowns and cc. Not top tier player, but let's put them on the upper part of the average curve.

How does this person go about progressing through end game outside of being carried by a really nice group of people (at one time called a guild).

Through playing the game, what is the order and pace they'd need to take starting from scratch. Remember they are in quest rewards from basic storyline hitting 90.

Thank you for your responses.

Sere new players gear through LFR, just to find out the actual raid I the same thing just hard

Blizzard planning at its finest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Without any experience in WoW before, it'll take them longer. They won't know all of the shortcuts or even how the item levels work. They won't know about Timeless Isle or buying Mogu Runes and running ToT LFR or anything.

The only way:

- Hit level 90
    - Run a few dungeons to get the idea of how to work with people at end level
    - Head over to Timeless Isle and start looting those chests!
    - Don't use the items until you get your first guaranteed Burden of Eternity! Use it on a head or chest (can't use on trinkets)
    - Once you've had your fill and you find that you can't get a leg or a ring or whatever, buy as many Mogu Runes of Fate as you can with Timeless Coins
    - Run ToT LFR (need 490, should have it by then) and use the coins to get gear in the slots you need
    - Move onto SoO LFR and you're set (496)

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    The only way:

- Hit level 90
    - Head over to Timeless Isle and start looting those chests!
    - Don't use the items until you get your first guaranteed Burden of Eternity! Use it on a head or chest (can't use on trinkets)
    - Once you've had your fill and you find that you can't get a leg or a ring or whatever, buy as many Mogu Runes of Fate as you can with Timeless Coins
    - Run ToT LFR (need 490, should have it by then) and use the coins to get gear in the slots you need
    - Enchant and gem your gear then move onto SoO LFR and you're set (496)
    Sorry, I had to add that...aha.

I forgot about the old runes though, that's a good tip for new people.

Timeless Isle certainly makes gearing up trivial, but to a brand new player I wouldn't advice going 90 > Timeless Isle, you just won't know your class, do dungeons, heroics, scenarios, battlegrounds, get a real feel, it's much more fun to play at your very best and challenge yourself in raids, yes, even in LFR,

Of course Valor gear too gained through those Heroics and Scenarios.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Well, legs give you the most stat increase. (Maybe the same as chest.)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Toiran View Post
    The only way:

- Hit level 90
    - Avoid PvP at all costs
    - Head over to Timeless Isle and start looting those chests and help killing announced rare npcs!
    - Read some tactics guides
    - Enchant and gem your gear
    - Reforge your gear to get 15% hit rating
    - Read some tactics guides
    - Move onto SoO LFR and you're set (496)
    Fixed that.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    Fixed that.
    Tactics guides are for people who aren't interested in the immersion of the game.

And you don't need them for LFR, if you are curious and observant and/or have fellow players who think it's fun to let you in on how things work.

Quote Originally Posted by Normie View Post
    Well, legs give you the most stat increase. (Maybe the same as chest.)
    Correct, legs and chest have the highest stat budget. It's these items that give the biggest bang for your err... burden.

10+ Year Old Account
    For me, on an alt it was:

- Hit 90 through a series of excruciatingly painful dungeons where I was the only North American player in most of my groups
    - Head over to the Timeless Isle, loot chests, farm rares whenever the Ship/Evermaw/Houlon spawned (there's usually about 300-500+ people standing on them on Illidan)
    - Once I have 500-510, I would start my own Flex group and kick people as needed until we downed wings. This was also when the wings were being gated

I did absolutely no LFR on any of my alts.. I tried to run through them a couple of times on my main to see how they were. No, never again.

I don't want to be one of the people who say Flex killed LFR and any decent people running LFR when to Flex but.. it kinda did. Every LFR I joined on my alts would be me, perhaps 2-3 other people who spoke a word of English and the rest spoke other languages. It just baffles me, how I was always severely outnumbered.

Oh and not to mention this: (Here's a list of the Portuguese Realms and they're highest progress thus far)

Tol-Barad: 1/14H (10) None (25)
    Gallywix: 14/14N (10) 1/14N (25)
    Goldrinn: 5/14H (10) 2/14N (25)
    Nemesis: 8/14H (10) 12/14N (25)
    Azralon: 13/14H (10) 11/14H (25)

Some players from Azralon honestly weren't too bad. The rest of the servers though, I wanted to slam my head into the wall.

It's not due to a shortage of players over there either, they have plenty of players according to WoWProgress and other various datamining sources.

Protip: There's about 30,000 less Portuguese players on the Alliance side than there are Horde side, so if you're Alliance and you don't get as many of them in groups when you play Alliance than when you play Horde, there you go.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tuleyoil View Post
    They won't know all of the shortcuts or even how the item levels work.
    Yeah, the gearing process is really, really obtuse in MoP.

Hell, the vendors are spread all across creation. Which is probably due to a mixture of (less) wanting people to "get out in the world" and (more) certain overcrowded PvP servers being unusable when zones have huge numbers of people around interesting objects like vendors.