Page 34 of 42 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    I have to hand it to you I have never heard anyone complain ever about being able to customize their UI, in fact the majority of people complain about not being able to customize the UI, being able to customize the UI without addons tend to be a selling point for some games. I think you just have a deep seated hatred of add ons for no particular reason other than 'I think it is bad.'.
    What makes you think I'm complaining or that I hate addons? I use a lot and have no real issue with them. However the ability to have addons that warn you that a boss is going to kill you if you stand still means that developers kinda have to develop the game in the knowledge that most people have an addon that tells them that standing still is a bad idea. This means they add things like standing still is bad, but running this direction is worse, i.e. complexity added purely to counter the addons. This leads to a bit of an 'arms race' between encounter design and addon design, every now and then the addons go too far (the whole drawing on the environment thing in wotlk) and the designers have to break the addon but not often.

The net effect of this is that trying to do normal mode raiding without DBM/bigwigs/etc is beyond the skills and experience of the vast majority of the player base. So they have to have a mode of the game where not having those addons doesn't make you a sitting duck. Is that simple enough now or are you going to completely misunderstand the point again?

I don't think LFR should be removed, but they do need to change things. Either remove LFR and make Flex so that you can queue solo, or mix them together to a new form of queue-system.

The one thing I feel like they need to implement is: A) You need to have completed Proving Grounds: Silver with your character. B) You need to have gemmed/enchanted gear.

I don't feel like anyone would argue with these two points. Some would probably want Proving Grounds: Gold, but I feel like that one could be hard even for good players, depending on your class and so on. Silver at least is proof that you know what you are doing. As for the gems/enchants-part, it just really bothers me when people don't even care to gem or enchant their gear. Obviously there could be something like if you have green or blue gear that is unechanted, that it's okay, but when people have epic-gear and haven't even bothered to gem or enchanted it.. it's just lame.

I don't find either of those objectives too harsh or too difficult, it's just a matter of doing it. Anyone could get Proving Grounds: Silver within 30 minutes (probably shorter), and as for gems/enchants, it's not hard either. At least try to separate the people who try, and the people who don't give a shit.

Quote Originally Posted by isride View Post
    What makes you think I'm complaining or that I hate addons? I use a lot and have no real issue with them. However the ability to have addons that warn you that a boss is going to kill you if you stand still means that developers kinda have to develop the game in the knowledge that most people have an addon that tells them that standing still is a bad idea. This means they add things like standing still is bad, but running this direction is worse, i.e. complexity added purely to counter the addons. This leads to a bit of an 'arms race' between encounter design and addon design, every now and then the addons go too far (the whole drawing on the environment thing in wotlk) and the designers have to break the addon but not often.

The net effect of this is that trying to do normal mode raiding without DBM/bigwigs/etc is beyond the skills and experience of the vast majority of the player base. So they have to have a mode of the game where not having those addons doesn't make you a sitting duck. Is that simple enough now or are you going to completely misunderstand the point again?
    Actually Blizzard has stated that they have reduced reaction times due to addons giving you an early warning addons, in the past they would show the fire at your feet and give you 3 seconds to get out of it before it would do damage and now the damage starts ticking away immediately to compensate for the warning. You still have to react fast enough as not reacting fast enough causes you to take far more damage than you want to. I am happy for stuff like GTFO because I find that I am looking at stat procs and aura flares to manage my dps rotation to always be paying attention to me feet, I hear my alarm go off and I can get my eyes to the right place so I can react. I still don't always react fast enough so this 'arms race' is a non-issue for me, if I never took damage ever due to the alarm then that would be an issue.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zantera View Post
    I don't think LFR should be removed, but they do need to change things. Either remove LFR and make Flex so that you can queue solo, or mix them together to a new form of queue-system.

The one thing I feel like they need to implement is: A) You need to have completed Proving Grounds: Silver with your character. B) You need to have gemmed/enchanted gear.

I don't feel like anyone would argue with these two points. Some would probably want Proving Grounds: Gold, but I feel like that one could be hard even for good players, depending on your class and so on. Silver at least is proof that you know what you are doing. As for the gems/enchants-part, it just really bothers me when people don't even care to gem or enchant their gear. Obviously there could be something like if you have green or blue gear that is unechanted, that it's okay, but when people have epic-gear and haven't even bothered to gem or enchanted it.. it's just lame.

I don't find either of those objectives too harsh or too difficult, it's just a matter of doing it. Anyone could get Proving Grounds: Silver within 30 minutes (probably shorter), and as for gems/enchants, it's not hard either. At least try to separate the people who try, and the people who don't give a shit.
    I dont have a problem with either, especially the gem/enchant thing but the silver requirement goes against the entire intent behind LFR which is giving non-raiding casuals content that they can consume so all of the post-leveling resources can be spent on raiders. Requiring skill is not what LFR was created for.

To be honest I have never done the proving grounds because I don't waste my time on frivolous things and grinding constant waves of mobs is not what I consider good game design.

Actually Blizzard has stated that they have reduced reaction times due to addons giving you an early warning addons, in the past they would show the fire at your feet and give you 3 seconds to get out of it before it would do damage and now the damage starts ticking away immediately to compensate for the warning. You still have to react fast enough as not reacting fast enough causes you to take far more damage than you want to. I am happy for stuff like GTFO because I find that I am looking at stat procs and aura flares to manage my dps rotation to always be paying attention to me feet, I hear my alarm go off and I can get my eyes to the right place so I can react. I still don't always react fast enough so this 'arms race' is a non-issue for me, if I never took damage ever due to the alarm then that would be an issue.
    The point is what about people who like you are distracted by other things (aura flares, etc) but don't have an alarm installed? That's my point. Those alarm addons are almost mandatory for raiding at normal or higher but you don't have a mail from Lorewalker Cho when you hit 90 telling you that if you don'#t have an addon you really should install one before you raid. So take away LFR, add in the elitism of wow players in general and you end up with people being kiced from groups because they keep standing in fires, they might be trying to move but are just too slow and the damage stacks too quickly, this never used to happen, as you've stated, that's the point.

Fundamentally addons have changed encounter design, as addons have got more sophisticated the encounters have added complexity to counteract this, this is impossible to deny, you even gave you're own example of this before trying to refute it. Therefore LFR, as a simplified version of the game, is a necessary option as a result of, amongst other things, the sophisticated addon system in wow.

The entire issue is two-fold.

One part of the problem is how difficulty is derived. In 'classic' WoW, difficulty arose much more from social and logistical concerns than from the encounters themselves. Getting 40 people, knowing something about the fights, resistance gear, farming raid mats, having people spec'd correctly, having people on voice chat, managing the loot distribution, all the things that went into a raid.

As time has gone by, almost all of those sources of difficulty have been set aside, and all the remaining difficulty comes from the encounter itself. Thus, if you haven't kept up with the game, a player that was 'good' in Vanilla is likely 'terrible' now.

Along with this shift, WoW has not done a good enough job internalizing the things that make 'bads' into constructive players. As you level, dungeons to not teach roles. As you get a new ability, WoW does nothing to teach you how it should slot into a rotation. Almost all learning takes place outside of the game. WoW doesn't even do a good job pointing at those outside resources. Thus, as the social bonds of the game have largely crumbled, there is nothing to help players learn how to learn. In 'Classic' you had a class officer. In 'Modern', you have a heroic raider terrorizing the 'bads' that are slowing him down in LFG (Not always, but often enough).

Just like real life, there's pretty much no middle class anymore.

I don't want LFG removed, but I do crave a revamp to leveling that produces 'mature' players at 90, ready to do grown up things. Along that tack, I hope Flex goes a long way to make non-hardcore guilds relevant again.
    Life: bergmannity.com/ | Gaming: indignantgoat.com/
    XBL: Indignant Goat | BattleTag: IndiGoat#1288 | SteamID: Indignant Goat

Quote Originally Posted by bergmann620 View Post

One part of the problem is how difficulty is derived. In 'classic' WoW, difficulty arose much more from social and logistical concerns than from the encounters themselves. Getting 40 people, knowing something about the fights, resistance gear, farming raid mats, having people spec'd correctly, having people on voice chat, managing the loot distribution, all the things that went into a raid.

As time has gone by, almost all of those sources of difficulty have been set aside, and all the remaining difficulty comes from the encounter itself. Thus, if you haven't kept up with the game, a player that was 'good' in Vanilla is likely 'terrible' now.

Along with this shift, WoW has not done a good enough job internalizing the things that make 'bads' into constructive players. As you level, dungeons to not teach roles. As you get a new ability, WoW does nothing to teach you how it should slot into a rotation. Almost all learning takes place outside of the game. WoW doesn't even do a good job pointing at those outside resources. Thus, as the social bonds of the game have largely crumbled, there is nothing to help players learn how to learn. In 'Classic' you had a class officer. In 'Modern', you have a heroic raider terrorizing the 'bads' that are slowing him down in LFG (Not always, but often enough).

I don't want LFG removed, but I do crave a revamp to leveling that produces 'mature' players at 90, ready to do grown up things. Along that tack, I hope Flex goes a long way to make non-hardcore guilds relevant again.
    things like oqueue and open raid undermine the formation of flex guilds.

Not solved. Allowing casuals to experience the content one content drop later means they will never fight garrosh until the next expansion and by then people will be doing the new content. Current system allows all players to do dungeons in first tier and raid content, your hack version would half their content for one drop until something new came along. If you think this is a good ideal then I suggest an experiment, next expansion you only do dungeons in 6.0 and refuse any raid content, then in 6.2 you will be allowed to do 6.0 LFR and dungeons, then in 6.4 you can do 6.2 LFR and dungeons, and not do any 6.4 content ever because then you will only be allowed to do dungeons in 7.
    First of all, the endboss problem can be solved by "dungeonising" the final raid tier in a patch midway between the raid's release and the release of the next expansion. That's essentially what happened with Sunwell, and gradually over time with the ICC and Dragon Soul 30% nerf.
    Secondly, when I had a more casual playstyle, I DID lag behind in consuming dungeon and raid content.
    In TBC 2.0 when Karazhan was available, I was leveling and doing normal modes. In 2.1 when Black Temple was released I was starting to do heroic 5 mans and raiding Kara. Even after joining a raiding guild I didn't see the inside of Black Temple till Patch 2.3, and only saw Sunwell well after it had been cleared by the hardcore guilds.

Likewise in Cataclysm I would have been absolutely DELIGHTED if they had delayed the release of the Tier 11 raids, so I would have had time to enjoy the 5 man dungeons and questing zones in a more leisurely manner, instead of being in a mad rush to clear the ungated raidbosses.

The type of "casual" who needs to get inside raids as soon as they are released is not particularly casual at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow is very elitist, finding comments calling someone a scrub because they've gemmed for haste instead of mastery, or similar take s afew seconds on pretty much any site you can find. - This leads to the situation with needing the achievement for killing garrosh to join a flex raid on the 2nd week after he was available in that mode and the ilvl 540+ requests and the "report to me for inspection before invite", etc.
    Inspecting someone before attempting difficult content is just bloody common sense. Would you be upset if someone asked you to dribble a basketball or take a few shots before inviting you for an arranged basketball game?

- - - Updated - - -

So essentially they would have to be able to produce 12 raid wings worth of content every 6 months to keep everyone happy.

The math just does not add up in favor of people who love lots of great raid content without LFR. LFR allows blizzard to spend all the resources on raiders and toss less tastey scraps to the casuals and yet the elitists still rage against it even though it directly feeds raiders constant great content. It makes no sense what so ever.
    They could also just dungeonify the raids after a patch. That way they get to reuse all their art assets and just need to tweak the numbers and mechanics a bit. They're proven adept at this with the likes of ZA and ZG. And some LFRaiders have been asking for a variant of this already, ie simplified tanking mechanics, shorter queues and shorter runs.

- - - Updated - - -

I dont have a problem with either, especially the gem/enchant thing but the silver requirement goes against the entire intent behind LFR which is giving non-raiding casuals content that they can consume so all of the post-leveling resources can be spent on raiders. Requiring skill is not what LFR was created for.
    To be honest I have never done the proving grounds because I don't waste my time on frivolous things and grinding constant waves of mobs is not what I consider good game design.
    I think we have a terminology problem here. Because the word casual is used to denote two very different things
    -player who can't commit to a raiding schedule
    -player who is bad at the game

I know LFR has to cater for the first kind, but the 2nd is questionable.

But Proving Grounds: Silver isn't exactly a measurement for skill anyways, and the whole "its aimed to casuals, so therefor nothing challenging should be involved" is just a silly argument. LFR is already a loot-pinata and the next step to make it easier would be to replace each boss with a chest with loot, and just remove the trash. Right now people are being rewarded for doing nothing, and basically just pushing a button to queue, and then run around without knowing what to do.

Proving Grounds Bronze to Gold is an interesting way of getting to know your class, and it's not comparable to the endless waves-scenario where it just keeps going. It teaches you things about your class that you might have missed, and won't pick up from standing in Orgrimmar waiting for the queue to pop. The endless waves-mode in Proving Grounds is more hardcore, but getting the silver medal is really casual.

And I think it's important to keep "casual" separated from "lazy". People seem to use casual as an excuse for being lazy at something, and they still expect being rewarded for not doing their job. I think the line between casual and more serious/hardcore should be drawn in terms of how much you get out of your gear, and that's a whole other story. I don't think LFR should take that into account, but at least have some form of "I know what spells to use"-check. Last night in LFR, I had a shadow priest in my group who only used Mind Flay. Things like this is very easy to prevent just by having some form of mini-guide or proving grounds.

They even introduced the "Important Spells"-tab in the book which gives you a good explanation of how your role should be played. Maybe make something out of that one. They could make a 3 minute scenario-mode which is basically "You are this specc.. here are some of your most important spells" and just give some tips on how these are used, like if a certain spell proccs another. I know lazy players will always be around, but if they try something to get those players to listen/improve, things will get better.

And again, I don't think "casual" should be confused with "lazy" or "stupid". Even if you want to play for fun and no strings attached, you could at least TRY and put some effort into it, and know what spells to use. It's a big difference between that, and what a hardcore raider does.

Quote Originally Posted by bergmann620 View Post

I like how you think Although I'd like to see Flex mode made easier to get into - like when using the OQ addon, only supported and run through Blizzard - and replace LFR as we know it now.

WoD expansion boss, Medivh! Calling it now!

A game where they work for things and not just have it handed to them because they want things to be easy.

Quote Originally Posted by KClovesGaming View Post
    Playing since the beginning of BC, I've always hated what the game was before in terms of getting people together for dungeons. It was terrible. At times, it took hours to get people and if they dropped while in the dungeon, that was it. It was a complete waste of time and effort, all for a lousy bit of gear. Thank goodness those days are long gone. Insta queues are so much better and more convenient. It was good for the game. JMO and I stand by it.
    Both LFD and LFR were endemic to what the MMORPG represents: a time sink.

The game only continued to grow and more and more people continued to spam chat channels looking for groups to raid or do dungeons before LFD and LFR. That took time. The dungeons themselves took time. And more often than not, you'd stick to your group. You would make friends from it. It would be your route to getting into a guild. It would be a basic requirement of getting into raiding and in fulfilling all of the previous, would ensure you were in fact ready to raid because you spent the time to do the dungeons and got to know the people you'd probably be raiding with.

But I'm not saying there were no problems with the old system, there certainly were. Fixing those problems should not have been so drastic though that something was added that would lead to a system in MMORPGs as a whole that would gut them right from the start.

Just because it's a quicker way to do things in the game in no way means that it is in fact better for the game, community or developers. Only for completely impatient players that want instant gratification. And oh look, what do you see? People bitching left right and center about why they can't get things EVEN FASTER. The difference between then and now is that Blizzard DIDN'T give people what they wanted and yet they still continued to come in droves. Now that Blizzard has catered to them the game is hemorrhaging subscriptions.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-860 @2.8GHz | Radeon HD 7770 | 8GB DDR3-1333MHz | Corsair CX 430W |

Wow is very elitist, finding comments calling someone a scrub because they've gemmed for haste instead of mastery, or similar take s afew seconds on pretty much any site you can find. - This leads to the situation with needing the achievement for killing garrosh to join a flex raid on the 2nd week after he was available in that mode and the ilvl 540+ requests and the "report to me for inspection before invite", etc.
    The person forming the raid has the right to put any restrictions he wants on entry into his group. That's not elitist. The reality is that a random group of people in 540 gear with proper gems and enchants is going to have an easier time in flex than random a group of people in 520 gear without gems and enchants. If the person leading the raid can put a group together of higher geared people that increases his/her chance of success, why would they not? It is not their responsibility to provide lower geared people a flex spot.

If you are sitting in 520 gear and want to flex, here's a solution for everyone who complains about not being able to find a flex group. Form your own and look for other people in similar gear who want to run flex. Nobody is preventing you from running the content, your laziness of not wanting to form your own group is.

Quote Originally Posted by Zellviren View Post
    I said in the other thread you and I were involved in that it was high time Blizzard stopped designing the game around raiders and what they think.
    And in that post you're quoting I specifically called out your post in this thread as being the exception to all those other non-constructive responses. I'm sorry that you didn't take it as the compliment that I intended.
    Quote Originally Posted by CandyCotton Marshmallows View Post
    People need to get over the gear color (and themselves). It doesn't matter, and it shouldn't matter what other players have either. Worry about your damn self. Live your life by that. If you want to concern yourself with someone else, then worry about HELPING them, not putting them down or making sure you stand out as better than them.
    Maybe the game would be better with more low DPS nice guys and fewer high DPS jerks? -- Ghostcrawler, Twitter, 6/29/13

LFR can exist, but the gear in it should be heroic dungeon level or t-mog at best and there should be no requirement for good players to carry terrible ones through it. That would take away all incentive for non-LFR players to run it and curb the complaining. Putting gear in it that's better than last tier's normal is Blizzard's bullshit way of getting normal or unlucky heroic raiders to carry terrible players through.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamerlane2 View Post
    First of all, the endboss problem can be solved by "dungeonising" the final raid tier in a patch midway between the raid's release and the release of the next expansion. That's essentially what happened with Sunwell, and gradually over time with the ICC and Dragon Soul 30% nerf.
    Secondly, when I had a more casual playstyle, I DID lag behind in consuming dungeon and raid content.
    In TBC 2.0 when Karazhan was available, I was leveling and doing normal modes. In 2.1 when Black Temple was released I was starting to do heroic 5 mans and raiding Kara. Even after joining a raiding guild I didn't see the inside of Black Temple till Patch 2.3, and only saw Sunwell well after it had been cleared by the hardcore guilds.

Likewise in Cataclysm I would have been absolutely DELIGHTED if they had delayed the release of the Tier 11 raids, so I would have had time to enjoy the 5 man dungeons and questing zones in a more leisurely manner, instead of being in a mad rush to clear the ungated raidbosses.

The type of "casual" who needs to get inside raids as soon as they are released is not particularly casual at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Inspecting someone before attempting difficult content is just bloody common sense. Would you be upset if someone asked you to dribble a basketball or take a few shots before inviting you for an arranged basketball game?

- - - Updated - - -

They could also just dungeonify the raids after a patch. That way they get to reuse all their art assets and just need to tweak the numbers and mechanics a bit. They're proven adept at this with the likes of ZA and ZG. And some LFRaiders have been asking for a variant of this already, ie simplified tanking mechanics, shorter queues and shorter runs.

- - - Updated - - -

I think we have a terminology problem here. Because the word casual is used to denote two very different things
    -player who can't commit to a raiding schedule
    -player who is bad at the game

I know LFR has to cater for the first kind, but the 2nd is questionable.
    To be honest to the people who come here bitching about LFR (and wanting to burn it to the ground) there is no difference in the two and the only desciption that have for either player is that the people in LFR get raid rewards 'for doing nothing' and it makes them feel less special now that they can't exclude those people from content and the precious purples. I do LFR with my raid guild on non-raid nights as an hour long socializing activity so I know there are people who are very good players who pull double their wieght and I know there are bad players in there but I wouldn't give that up. To be truthful the only real difficulty in that content is the die roll of the capability of the random people I am grouped with.

I do LFR with my raid guild on non-raid nights as an hour long socializing activity so I know there are people who are very good players who pull double their wieght and I know there are bad players in there but I wouldn't give that up. To be truthful the only real difficulty in that content is the die roll of the capability of the random people I am grouped with.
    Atleast your guildmates have a choice in grouping with bad players. But requiring a Silver in the Proving Grounds is quite a small thing to ask, as a way of improving everyone's LFR experience.

Quote Originally Posted by dd614 View Post
    LFR can exist, but the gear in it should be heroic dungeon level or t-mog at best and there should be no requirement for good players to carry terrible ones through it. That would take away all incentive for non-LFR players to run it and curb the complaining. Putting gear in it that's better than last tier's normal is Blizzard's bullshit way of getting normal or unlucky heroic raiders to carry terrible players through.
    Oh, a purple protector. You do know that purple just denotes what you get for disenchanting it right? It has not been a symbol of skill since 2007. Now skill is denoted by ilevel and the name of the raid you got it from which is marked under the purple words.

You also don't mind someone having good lfr gear when you are pugging in a healer for your raid group, as long as you clear bosses and don't need to acknowledge that the good gear helped you get done what you like to do then you can continue to delude yourself that it needs to go.

LFR's only purpose is to give casuals a bad version of raid content so Blizzard can spend all its post-leveling resources on raiding content for raiders. They just carbon copy it and nerf it so they don't have to expend raid resources on casual content. Taking the incentive to run lfr out of lfr means no one would use it and then Blizzard would have to expend lots of resources to keep those guys in the game and pay far less attention to the raider. Unless you hate raid content then you should want as many people in LFR as possible.

I'd just make it so that LFR raids are never the most recent and most difficult raids. Then bump up the gear that drops from LFR equal to what drops in Flex now. For end of expansion raids, just add the LFR version after the raid has been around for 5-6 months.

LFR can then be used to catch people up for the newest content, the newest most difficult raid is for "hardcore" players, and "casuals" still get to see the content that opens up at end game.

Problem is, "casuals" will get pissed off about not being able to do the newest end game stuff as quickly as "hardcore" players.

Quote Originally Posted by ganush View Post
    The person forming the raid has the right to put any restrictions he wants on entry into his group. That's not elitist. The reality is that a random group of people in 540 gear with proper gems and enchants is going to have an easier time in flex than random a group of people in 520 gear without gems and enchants. If the person leading the raid can put a group together of higher geared people that increases his/her chance of success, why would they not? It is not their responsibility to provide lower geared people a flex spot.

If you are sitting in 520 gear and want to flex, here's a solution for everyone who complains about not being able to find a flex group. Form your own and look for other people in similar gear who want to run flex. Nobody is preventing you from running the content, your laziness of not wanting to form your own group is.
    Your attitude is all well and good (and right!), but, don't be mad that, because of that, things like LFR come into existence.

they should play the game slowly gear up and join casual guild and raid once a month