Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
... LastLast
  1. #21
    Dreadlord Nykolas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Birmingham UK
    Posts
    885
    It was removed because it asks for donations, curse doesnt want any other donate button but its own on its site Oqueue is still available from the creators website.

  2. #22
    He just wants beer.

    Can't a man ask for a beer?

    Commies.

  3. #23
    Herald of the Titans
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    The Frozen Wasteland
    Posts
    2,573
    Quote Originally Posted by iamthedevil View Post
    I guarantee blizzard is creating this function for the next expansion.
    I guarantee not, because there are SO many things wrong with it.

  4. #24
    Pit Lord Cyrops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    US Eonar
    Posts
    2,444
    Quote Originally Posted by Verain View Post
    I'm pretty sure they do. The button, however is pretty subtle, and it doesn't actually say "DONATE!". If Blizzard told Tiny no, I'm sure he'd take it out.
    He don't give a F, he said addon was too popular to give in to people demands (remove the beer).

  5. #25
    Scarab Lord Raugnaut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Frogspoison#1419 Battletag
    Posts
    4,049
    Quote Originally Posted by Normie View Post
    I guarantee not, because there are SO many things wrong with it.
    Like... what?

    Really, OQ is at its basest form a "forum" for finding "cross realm groups", except its all included in-game.

    All blizz has to do is implement a sort-of complete cross-realm LFG channel, and they pretty much made oqueue.
    Anyone ever notice how the sun seems to shine silverish now? Didn't it used to shine goldish? PM me if you've noticed this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

  6. #26
    Banned But I Hate You All's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The West Coast of the United States
    Posts
    1,993
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    I dont know about that.

    Unless you are a mass distribution channel for the addon, you are not going to have any impact on the global ban list.
    - Removing a name from YOUR addon will only allow that person to connect to you. No one else is changed, likewise, adding someone to the list is only going to prevent them from connecting to you, which is essentially what the ingame function for banlisting someone on the addon already does.

    So unless someone, as you mentioned, like Curse goes and actually modifies the addon on their end before distributing it (which would be a WHOLE other can of worms and likely do WAY more damage to their credibility then it would the author) I dont really see the "vulnerability" of the global ban list as being all that signifigant.

    I was talking about this

    OQ.gbl = { ["<name removed>" ] = 1, -- OQ exploiter
    ["<name removed>" ] = 1, -- <something bad> in OQ names
    ["<name removed>"] = 1, -- bandit
    ["<name removed>" ] = 1, -- flamed out, hard
    ["<name removed>" ] = 1, -- <bad word> to scorekeeper
    ["<name removed>" ] = 1, -- exploit/hack
    ["<name removed>" ] = 1, -- spamming the scorekeeper, <bad word>
    ["<name removed>" ] = 1, -- OQ exploiter
    ["<name removed>" ] = 1, -- exploit helm; <bad words> - <name removed> } ;

  7. #27
    It's a hilarious double standard.

    Curse charges money for a premium membership for installing addons. Also, they plaster advertisements all over their network. Basically, they are profiting off of addons (and games) they didn't create.

    Yet, an addon isn't allowed to ask for money?

    Stupid as fuck. I'm glad Tiny (oqueue creator) isn't backing down to this corporate faggotry. I'll be giving him beer money all day.
    Last edited by Coldhearth; 2013-10-31 at 10:28 AM.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldhearth View Post
    It's a hilarious double standard.

    Curse charges money for a premium membership for installing addons. Also, they plaster advertisements all over their network. Basically, they are profiting off of addons (and games) they didn't create.

    Yet, an addon isn't allowed to ask for money?

    Stupid as fuck. I'm glad Tiny (oqueue creator) isn't backing down to this corporate faggotry. I'll be giving him beer money all day.
    Read the thread. Asking for donations in-game via an addon is against Blizzard's policies hence why Curse is, for the time being, no longer supporting it.

  9. #29
    Pit Lord miffy23's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Vienna
    Posts
    2,261
    Lol @ this discussion. If you care to actually do the research, the addon was indeed removed from Curse after the author got into an argument with the relevant authorities on this site, the addon was up for MONTHS before that along with beer button.

    In case you don't know, MMO-C is part of the Curse network. Go figure.

    Also fyi, before you believe I Hate You All's spin machine - the addon doesn't violate a single part of the ToU or EULA (in terms of "harassment" and some of the other bogus nonsensical arguments brought up, the only part that is technically a violation is the donate button). He's just one of a few very active lobbyists against the author because he hates his guts and he most likely got banned from the addon himself.

    The addon is probably the best 3rd party addition to the game ever, it has reinvigorated most of my dead realm way before connected realms are in sight, world bosses are finally instantly doable, Flex groups quickly findable, and PVP without a completely random pug and set qualifications is a godsend.

    It doesn't pose any different limitations or exclusive conditions than any other player group would - guy doesn't like you? Kicks you. Doesn't think your dps/hps is high enough/you have no clue? Kicks you/ignores you. The addon doesn't add anything to this dynamic that isn't already inherent in the social game itself.

    So again, why the removal? Because Curse network and those involved and the author don't get along.
    The author highly deserves the tiny amount of beer he gets for the awesome work he's done, before getting stomped over by the bigwigs. While the donation button is technically against policy, it's been in there for months and the addon only got removed after the conflict of opinion.
    Last edited by miffy23; 2013-10-31 at 10:56 AM.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by D4NNYB0Y View Post
    Read the thread. Asking for donations in-game via an addon is against Blizzard's policies hence why Curse is, for the time being, no longer supporting it.
    But it's perfectly okay for them to CHARGE MONEY for addon downloads + plaster ads over their network for games and addons they didn't create? It's a double standard, like I said.

    If anything THAT is against Blizzard policies. They are profiting hard on work that isn't theirs, including charging people money to download addons.

    If Blizz had a problem with oqueue, they would have broken it. They haven't.

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldhearth View Post
    But it's perfectly okay for them to CHARGE MONEY for addon downloads + plaster ads over their network for games and addons they didn't create? It's a double standard, like I said.

    If anything THAT is against Blizzard policies. They are profiting hard on work that isn't theirs.

    If Blizz had a problem with oqueue, they would have broken it. They haven't.
    Curse is not Blizzard
    Curse do not place messages in-game, oQueue does
    Blizzard cares about in-game messages, they can't do anything about out-of-game ones because that is not their juristiction

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by miffy23 View Post
    Lol @ this discussion. If you care to actually do the research, the addon was indeed removed from Curse after the author got into an argument with the relevant authorities on this site, the addon was up for MONTHS before that along with beer button.

    In case you don't know, MMO-C is part of the Curse network. Go figure.

    Also fyi, before you believe I Hate You All's spin machine - the addon doesn't violate a single part of the ToU or EULA (in terms of "harassment" and some of the other bogus nonsensical arguments brought up, the only part that is technically a violation is the donate button). He's just one of a few very active lobbyists against the author because he hates his guts and he most likely got banned from the addon himself.

    The addon is probably the best 3rd party addition to the game ever, it has reinvigorated most of my dead realm way before connected realms are in sight, world bosses are finally instantly doable, Flex groups quickly findable, and PVP without a completely random pug and set qualifications is a godsend.

    It doesn't pose any different limitations or exclusive conditions than any other player group would - guy doesn't like you? Kicks you. Doesn't think your dps/hps is high enough/you have no clue? Kicks you/ignores you. The addon doesn't add anything to this dynamic that isn't already inherent in the social game itself.

    So again, why the removal? Because Curse network and those involved and the author don't get along.
    The author highly deserves the tiny amount of beer he gets for the awesome work he's done, before getting stomped over by the bigwigs. While the donation button is technically against policy, it's been in there for months and the addon only got removed after the conflict of opinion.
    ^ This x1000.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    Curse is not Blizzard
    Curse do not place messages in-game, oQueue does
    Blizzard cares about in-game messages, they can't do anything about out-of-game ones because that is not their juristiction
    Exactly. It's a double standard. And yes they can and do give a fuck about things that happen out of game. They have sued many times in the past. But they leave curse alone because curse is in their pocket.

  13. #33
    It's

    it's not a double standard

    Curse can advertise as much as they like on their own website that they created and pay for
    oQueue cannot advertise as much as they like because they do not own the space in which they are advertising

  14. #34
    Im not using oQueue but i would bet that the donation button is the reason.

    and baning something because it has banlist? there is no logic in there.

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrops View Post
    I think they didn't know about the donation button.
    From http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1021053914
    5) Add-ons may not solicit donations.
    Add-ons may not include requests for donations. We recognize the immense amount of effort and resources that go into developing an add-on; however, such requests should be limited to the add-on website or distribution site and should not appear in the game.


    Well it's not hard to make his own website or on wowinterface/curse and ask there. I never used it when I was playing WoW, so I'm not even sure the request exists in-game.

  16. #36
    Pit Lord miffy23's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Vienna
    Posts
    2,261
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukem View Post
    Im not using oQueue but i would bet that the donation button is the reason.

    and baning something because it has banlist? there is no logic in there.
    What people like I Hate You All tend to forget to mention is there is no public banlist, nor does the addon broadcast the names or the reasons for people banned from OQ. The banlist mentioned is CODED in the addon files and are the author's personal bans. Just like if you acted like a d-bag in a pug, or the leader doesn't like you for some reason, you might get booted.

    You are not PAYING for the use of the addon, it is merely an extension of the social pug mechanic. The claim about violation of harassment policies is false, since these bans and the reasons are NOT PUBLIC, they are IN CODE, and NOT viewable INGAME.

  17. #37
    Good riddance.
    While Diogenes was relaxing in the sunlight in the morning, Alexander, thrilled to meet the famous philosopher, asked if there was any favour he might do for him. Diogenes replied, "Yes, stand out of my sunlight". Alexander then declared, "If I were not Alexander, then I should wish to be Diogenes", to which Diogenes replied, "If I were not Diogenes, I should also wish to be Diogenes."

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    It's

    it's not a double standard

    Curse can advertise as much as they like on their own website that they created and pay for
    oQueue cannot advertise as much as they like because they do not own the space in which they are advertising
    So, it's okay for curse to profit from and charge for the hard work of others (addon authors) and even plaster ads all over their networks for games they didn't create... but it's not okay for these people they are profiting from to ask for compensation for their hard work. That is indeed a double standard.

  19. #39
    Pit Lord miffy23's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Vienna
    Posts
    2,261
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargur View Post
    5) Add-ons may not solicit donations.
    Add-ons may not include requests for donations. We recognize the immense amount of effort and resources that go into developing an add-on; however, such requests should be limited to the add-on website or distribution site and should not appear in the game.


    Well it's not hard to make his own website or on wowinterface/curse and ask there. I never used it when I was playing WoW, so I'm not even sure the request exists in-game.
    While this is technically true, it had been ingame with donation button for months and nothing happened before the fight occurred. If it were a major issue, Blizzard would act, and i'm sure they would approach the author in time. The removal of the addon from Curse was based on other events.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Good riddance.
    The addon is still perfectly available from the direct source, and is more popular than ever =)

  20. #40
    Legendary! Raiju's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    6,945
    Quote Originally Posted by miffy23 View Post
    While this is technically true, it had been ingame with donation button for months and nothing happened before the fight occurred. If it were a major issue, Blizzard would act, and i'm sure they would approach the author in time. The removal of the addon from Curse was based on other events.
    If your addon is against TOS, last thing you do is piss off mod sites (or game devs).
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •