Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
... LastLast
  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    If your addon is against TOS, last thing you do is piss off mod sites (or game devs).
    If the addon was offensive to Blizz, they would have broken it. They haven't. It's curse which removed the add on from their site. Meanwhile they continue to profit off the work of others. It's just hilariously stupid.

  2. #42
    Removed...
    Last edited by Iseeyou; 2013-10-31 at 11:22 AM.


    Retired from PC gaming. All mmo account sold. Playing Destiny on X1. We(5) are looking for more french members for our Clan !!!!!

  3. #43
    Warchief miffy23's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Vienna
    Posts
    2,183
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    If your addon is against TOS, last thing you do is piss off mod sites (or game devs).
    True, i'm just clarifying that the Addon was not removed because it has some kind of negative or dangerous aspect, as some would have the majority believe. The violation mentioned is a harmless technicality that has really nothing to do with Curse and the Addon.

    As I said, it's freely available from the original source, it's better and more popular than ever, if Blizzard finds issue with the button they will contact the author and it will be removed i'm sure, all of this had nothing to do with the reasons for the Curse removal.

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldhearth View Post
    So, it's okay for curse to profit from and charge for the hard work of others (addon authors) and even plaster ads all over their networks for games they didn't create... but it's not okay for these people they are profiting from to ask for compensation for their hard work. That is indeed a double standard.
    Yes
    Because they are advertising on their website, to provide income to continue providing the website, in a space that they paid for

    Which oQueue is not doing

    There is nothing morally wrong with advertising to pay your bills, and it is not hypocritical to criticise someone for advertising in a space that they are not allowed to advertise in, which they do not own while advertising yourself on the space that you personally do own and are allowed to advertise in, in order to pay for upkeep and make a profit on your business

  5. #45
    i hope it does not get removed. this is by far the best thing that u could use to enhance your game.
    idk if i can play the game again if this addon gets removed. proly will be back to 80% afk in town again

  6. #46
    Legendary! Raiju's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    6,605
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldhearth View Post
    If the addon was offensive to Blizz, they would have broken it. They haven't. It's curse which removed the add on from their site. Meanwhile they continue to profit off the work of others. It's just hilariously stupid.
    A) Curse is free to use with an optional premium service. Sure there are ads, but what hosting site doesn't have ads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

  7. #47
    It also isn't possible for Blizzard to break oQueue in any way that doesn't affect other addons unless they hunt for specific text strings, in which case they could easily just change the addon to work around that
    It doesn't have a specific function that it is not allowed to access, it is just abusing the ability to print text

    The most they can do is ban the addon creator

  8. #48
    Dreadlord
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Kadath, Cold Wastes
    Posts
    910
    Yeah, yeah, I'm sure that it's technically not a TOS violation when Curse demands money for "premium" service, but only in the same sense that if you play a recording that yells "fire" in the crowded theater, charges might not stick. Assuming there was a way to code such things, Blizzard could freely ban the Curse client for violating its TOS without changing a single word in their TOS. They choose not to care, just as they've chosen not to ban oQueue so far.

    ...and probably for a similar reason. Just as Curse was an amazing thing for WoW, this addon is the single best mod for any game that I've ever seen. It's one of the biggest reasons I still play. If they ban oQueue, it will be the biggest way they've shot themselves in the foot since the old world revamp.
    The plural of anecdote is not "data".

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by Verain View Post
    It's like a reason to play WoW instead of other MMOs, it is that good. What is so great about it is the ability to actually have a leader who makes actual calls about the group content and can remove tards.

    I also love the global ban list, btw, and it breaks no rules. What a great threat- fuck with the community, actually get banned.
    Yep. I've kept my account going for probably an extra 3-4 months this year, purely due to OQueue allowing me to do things I wouldn't normally be able to do.

    And yeah, act like a prick, get treated like one.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

  10. #50
    Blizzard cannot ban the curse client for any reason because the curse client is a third party application that does not in any way interfere with the WoW client
    It cannot print in-game messages and is completely outside of Blizzard's legal remit

    They can ban oQueue though because it prints messages within the game, the area in which Blizzard have power and the only area within which the ToS has any scope. I imagine they haven't yet because they haven't noticed, and if they do then they will make requests of the addon author before pulling out any guns.

  11. #51
    Mechagnome Bodom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    734
    Blizzard are probably working on something similar already, I doubt they'll break the addon before their own system is in place. Oqueue is the only addon I can think of that has dramatically changed how people interact and play with each other in WoW, banning it now would cause a massive outrage and would lead to a lot of people quitting the game.

    I myself play on a low pop server and all the doors this addon has opened for me... It's the best addon ever created, simple as that.

  12. #52
    The addon author should be grateful Blizzard even tolerates oQueue and not just ban it altogether. After the RealID queuing was hotfixed, he was all up in arms about it in the official forums even after Blizzard explained it to him that his addon was circumventing the purpose of random battlegrounds and it was degrading the experience of every player who did not use oQueue.

    His confrontational attitude is what gets him in trouble wiith either Blizzard or Curse. If he thinks his addon is God's gift to WoW then so be it, he definitely won't be making friends in the long run like this.
    Last edited by corebit; 2013-10-31 at 11:32 AM.

  13. #53
    I am Murloc! Descense's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Kalos
    Posts
    5,257
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldhearth View Post
    If the addon was offensive to Blizz, they would have broken it. They haven't. It's curse which removed the add on from their site. Meanwhile they continue to profit off the work of others. It's just hilariously stupid.
    True that. Thats why every addon i ever created was only avaible on my site. But i did hear the storys of people who *stole* the autors addon and pasted it as theirs on curse.

  14. #54
    Just a reminder, Blizzard "oQueue" already exists (remember pugging Naxxramas in WotLK); they just removed it at some point in favor of automated queue-style matchmaking. They just need to bring that back and add crossrealm support.

  15. #55
    Dreadlord
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Kadath, Cold Wastes
    Posts
    910
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    Blizzard cannot ban the curse client for any reason because the curse client is a third party application that does not in any way interfere with the WoW client
    It cannot print in-game messages and is completely outside of Blizzard's legal remit

    They can ban oQueue though because it prints messages within the game, the area in which Blizzard have power and the only area within which the ToS has any scope. I imagine they haven't yet because they haven't noticed, and if they do then they will make requests of the addon author before pulling out any guns.
    ...or maybe it's because they all use oQueue and they all like it? Seriously, have you paid attention to how many "blue" posts implicitly endorse it?

    If I was on Blizzard's legal team, rather than take this childish/heavy-handed "ban hammer" approach, I'd have a polite conversation with the mod's authors to bring it into line with the TOS. As for Curse and their shitty software, if Blizzard didn't like it, they could just lodge complaints with the California Attorney General. Of course, if the Curse client moves any further toward the realm of malware, they probably won't need to.
    The plural of anecdote is not "data".

  16. #56
    Over 9000! Baar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    9,218
    Quote Originally Posted by JakeCC View Post
    Only donations of beer, though!
    Doesn't matter. You can't ask for ANY donations.

  17. #57
    Herald of the Titans Blitzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,691
    Quote Originally Posted by KClovesGaming View Post
    The addon violates a Blizzard policy. That is why it was removed from Curse, I believe.
    Then why did Blizzard mention it as being a great addon to group people together along with open raid?
    “It is either easy or impossible.” - Salvador Dali

    WoW characters:
    Blitzo[Warrior] -Rex[Hunter] -Jax [Warlock] -
    Gluttony [Mage]

  18. #58
    Over 9000! Baar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    9,218
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldhearth View Post
    So, it's okay for curse to profit from and charge for the hard work of others (addon authors) and even plaster ads all over their networks for games they didn't create... but it's not okay for these people they are profiting from to ask for compensation for their hard work. That is indeed a double standard.
    You aren't reading it right. OQ author could ask for donations on his site all day without a problem.

  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by But I Hate You All View Post
    I was talking about this

    <Snip>
    I know what you were talking about. You were talking about the global ban list being "unsecured". That still does not change the fact that editing the global ban list at the local level in any way will have 0 appreciable impact on the addon's ability to do what it does (or on the effectiveness of the Ban list of doing what it does either).

    Unless you are a major distribution channel for the addon (which you could probably count on one hand i might add), and can edit it before distributing it, thereby pushing your change out to a signifigant number of the people who use the addon, nothing is going to happen.

    Besides, what exactly are you going to do? Add random battle tags to it? I mean, unless you have a grudge against someone in particular, or just want to cause general mischief by adding random Btags to it (of people who might not even USE the addon I might add), anyone messing with the global ban list is going to cause almost no noticable impact.

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulcanasm View Post
    ...or maybe it's because they all use oQueue and they all like it? Seriously, have you paid attention to how many "blue" posts implicitly endorse it?

    If I was on Blizzard's legal team, rather than take this childish/heavy-handed "ban hammer" approach, I'd have a polite conversation with the mod's authors to bring it into line with the TOS. As for Curse and their shitty software, if Blizzard didn't like it, they could just lodge complaints with the California Attorney General. Of course, if the Curse client moves any further toward the realm of malware, they probably won't need to.
    You did see that I literally said what you just did right?

    if they do then they will make requests of the addon author before pulling out any guns.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •