Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Yep, just a link to his site without the word "donate" would work fine. According to ronburgandy the author doesn't want to do that, though.

I could be mistaken, but isn't it illegal to solicit donations for anything created via LUA code? Being that even though you may have written the addon and own some certain rights pertaining to it, you don't actually own the code it's written with.

Illegal? Of course not. It's against the WoW terms of service to solicit donations inside the game. It's also against the ToS to sell addons (Carbonite used to do that). Neither one is illegal, just ToS violations. Beyond that, you can do whatever you want. If you write an addon yourself you do own the code, just the same as if you wrote a windows program.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    I could be mistaken, but isn't it illegal to solicit donations for anything created via LUA code? Being that even though you may have written the addon and own some certain rights pertaining to it, you don't actually own the code it's written with.
    No, as long as the soliciting isn't in game and as long as you're not selling the addon, it's fine. The easy way around it is a "visit website" link in-game, and then you just plaster your website with donate buttons. Tons and tons of addons do this.

Blizzard just doesn't want people selling addons, and they don't want payment/donate links in game, probably because some people might be confused and think it comes from Blizzard. I don't think the company has anything at all against hardworking addon authors getting financially supported by the community for their work.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

It's illegal(maybe not illegal, but blizz could bring up legal charges) to charge for add-ons. Carbonite used to be a pay only add-on until blizzard said no more.

Well I thought this would be more a legal issue with the creaters of LUA code itself (making money from somebody else's work).

Well I thought this would be more a legal issue with the creaters of LUA code itself (making money from somebody else's work).
    Nope.

http://www.lua.org/license.html

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by fafaru27 View Post
    Well all he has to do is remove the word "donation" from oQ and put a link to his website with the donation there.
    And get the Ban-List out of the code wich is "naming & shaming"...

Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    And get the Ban-List out of the code wich is "naming & shaming"...
    Nope, that does not violate the addon policy.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1021053914

I agree that the author should obfuscate those battletags somehow, though. A simple hash would do it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by miffy23 View Post
    Lol @ this discussion. If you care to actually do the research, the addon was indeed removed from Curse after the author got into an argument with the relevant authorities on this site, the addon was up for MONTHS before that along with beer button.

In case you don't know, MMO-C is part of the Curse network. Go figure.

Also fyi, before you believe I Hate You All's spin machine - the addon doesn't violate a single part of the ToU or EULA (in terms of "harassment" and some of the other bogus nonsensical arguments brought up, the only part that is technically a violation is the donate button). He's just one of a few very active lobbyists against the author because he hates his guts and he most likely got banned from the addon himself.

The addon is probably the best 3rd party addition to the game ever, it has reinvigorated most of my dead realm way before connected realms are in sight, world bosses are finally instantly doable, Flex groups quickly findable, and PVP without a completely random pug and set qualifications is a godsend.

It doesn't pose any different limitations or exclusive conditions than any other player group would - guy doesn't like you? Kicks you. Doesn't think your dps/hps is high enough/you have no clue? Kicks you/ignores you. The addon doesn't add anything to this dynamic that isn't already inherent in the social game itself.

So again, why the removal? Because Curse network and those involved and the author don't get along.
    The author highly deserves the tiny amount of beer he gets for the awesome work he's done, before getting stomped over by the bigwigs. While the donation button is technically against policy, it's been in there for months and the addon only got removed after the conflict of opinion.

Yeah, I can't remember where, possibly on the official wow forums, I heared that there was "drama" that lead to the take down of OQ.