Page 1 of 6
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    oqueoe removal from curse

    this add on is no longer able to be downloaded from curse i looked but couldnt see a reason for it.i talked to some people in my guild and they said that it has something to do with that it uses real id to connect people and they got fishing emails since they started to use it.they even contacted blizzard about it and they told me thats whats blizzard said about its removal.i guess its in the tos about real id being given out or gathered i dont know.i hope that if this is the real reason it was removed blizz sees ow many people used it and put something like that into the game i mean openraid is fine but thats not ingame and time consuming.

  2. #2
    Pretty sure it only uses your Battle.net tag when connecting to the mesh network (I could be wrong), and as such, there should be no way for other people using oQueue to get your actual RealID info unless you specifically give it to them after the fact.

  3. #3
    The addon violates a Blizzard policy. That is why it was removed from Curse, I believe.

  4. #4
    If it violated Blizzard policy, it would be removed from WoW.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    I'm determined to someday make Med'an awesome. (MickyNeilson)

    ´So.. sorry to bring this up but..you know that .."thing" (Med'an).. is that "thing" cannon still?
    ...as much have some have wished otherwise, yes. (Loreology)

  5. #5
    Addons cannot access real names/e-mails/IDs in-game. While it can display those names, they are actually encoded as special escaped strings.

    oQueue's infraction is the donation link that was recently added.

  6. #6
    Bloodsail Admiral Sarix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    OR
    Posts
    1,166
    I'm pretty sure they removed it because it asks for donations

  7. #7
    Epic! Phookah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Zebes, SR-21
    Posts
    1,740
    Exactly as stated above, it's "Beer me" donation button is a violation

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarix View Post
    I'm pretty sure they removed it because it asks for donations
    Only donations of beer, though!

  9. #9
    Elemental Lord Arbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Draenor
    Posts
    8,983
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    If it violated Blizzard policy, it would be removed from WoW.
    It will in due time it will end up like Gearscore did & they will implement their own system.
    Last edited by Arbs; 2013-10-31 at 05:53 AM.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbsbear View Post
    It will in due time it will, end up like Gearscore did & they will implement their own system.
    I highly doubt that. Considering that LFR and the Raid / Dungeon finder IS their current system, and they have specifically said that they would never do an oQueue style matchmakeing lobby because they dont want to promote the enforcement of exclusivitity (in LFR, anyone who qualifies for the iLevel cutoff gets in. In oQueue, the person makeing the group can be as exclusive as he wants).

    I mean, hell, they do have that "looking for raid / dungeon" thing that was implimented sometime back in wrath (i think) that literally no one ever uses (mainly because it is garbage).

    Honestly, the only thing Blizzard really needs to do is get off their ass and impliment a cross-realm addon data channel. 99% of the "problems" with oQueue basicly stem from the fact that it HAS to use Battle.tags to communicate with other realms because there is currently no other way for an addon to pass information from realm to realm.
    Last edited by Surfd; 2013-10-31 at 05:59 AM.

  11. #11
    From a little research i have found out that this happened after an mmo-champ admin butted heads with the addon author.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by iamthedevil View Post
    From a little research i have found out that this happened after an mmo-champ admin butted heads with the addon author.
    No idea. It is also possible that it stems from the stink raised about the fact that the author had actually built a "perma ban" list into the sourcecode for the mod, in which he had actually permanently blocked 4 or 5 people from ever being able to use it. Since it listed their battle tags (i think it was battle tags and not Real IDs) a bunch of forum warriors got all pissy about nameing and shameing.

  13. #13
    Banned But I Hate You All's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The West Coast of the United States
    Posts
    1,993
    1. It lists people to ban right in the code. You can see the (slightly out of date, I think there are 2 or 3 more on there now) code with names removed here: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...2436299?page=7 this not only opens those people up to harassment, but it leads to flaw 2

    2. The functionality to globally ban a person is not secured, someone could be taken off or added to the list by any user, or anyone distributing the addon. That second part is genuinely distressing when you consider that most people aren't getting their addons directly from the author. If the idiotic dickwaving contest between him and curse escalated either party could modify the addon and effectively split the userbase in ignoring select people (unless he has coded in some sort of brilliant check for abuse that I missed).

    3. The donation button

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by But I Hate You All View Post
    2. The functionality to globally ban a person is not secured, someone could be taken off or added to the list by any user, or anyone distributing the addon. That second part is genuinely distressing when you consider that most people aren't getting their addons directly from the author. If the idiotic dickwaving contest between him and curse escalated either party could modify the addon and effectively split the userbase in ignoring select people (unless he has coded in some sort of brilliant check for abuse that I missed).
    I dont know about that.

    Unless you are a mass distribution channel for the addon, you are not going to have any impact on the global ban list.
    - Removing a name from YOUR addon will only allow that person to connect to you. No one else is changed, likewise, adding someone to the list is only going to prevent them from connecting to you, which is essentially what the ingame function for banlisting someone on the addon already does.

    So unless someone, as you mentioned, like Curse goes and actually modifies the addon on their end before distributing it (which would be a WHOLE other can of worms and likely do WAY more damage to their credibility then it would the author) I dont really see the "vulnerability" of the global ban list as being all that signifigant.

  15. #15
    Pit Lord Cyrops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    US Eonar
    Posts
    2,447
    Quote Originally Posted by But I Hate You All View Post
    2. The functionality to globally ban a person is not secured, someone could be taken off or added to the list by any user, or anyone distributing the addon. That second part is genuinely distressing when you consider that most people aren't getting their addons directly from the author. If the idiotic dickwaving contest between him and curse escalated either party could modify the addon and effectively split the userbase in ignoring select people (unless he has coded in some sort of brilliant check for abuse that I missed).
    Modify to ban Tiny and spread that addon? You devil, you :|

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by KClovesGaming View Post
    The addon violates a Blizzard policy. That is why it was removed from Curse, I believe.
    I'd find that a strange reason as blue posters have recommended it to people on the official wow forums on more than 1 occasion recently. Think it's also been recommended by Devs on twitter too.

  17. #17
    Pit Lord Cyrops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    US Eonar
    Posts
    2,447
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulosio View Post
    I'd find that a strange reason as blue posters have recommended it to people on the official wow forums on more than 1 occasion recently. Think it's also been recommended by Devs on twitter too.
    I think they didn't know about the donation button.
    From http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1021053914
    5) Add-ons may not solicit donations.
    Add-ons may not include requests for donations. We recognize the immense amount of effort and resources that go into developing an add-on; however, such requests should be limited to the add-on website or distribution site and should not appear in the game.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    I highly doubt that. Considering that LFR and the Raid / Dungeon finder IS their current system, and they have specifically said that they would never do an oQueue style matchmakeing lobby because they dont want to promote the enforcement of exclusivitity (in LFR, anyone who qualifies for the iLevel cutoff gets in. In oQueue, the person makeing the group can be as exclusive as he wants).
    People can already enforce exclusivity when making their own group for anything without using Oque. If I decide to make a flex group or an LFR group I can decide exactly who to invite and who not to invite. The only difference with Oque is that it gives it's users a wider selection of potential players to play with. Unless blizzard decided to remove their own dungeon / raid finder tool then I don't think it makes a difference if there's a system to help find players for flex raids etc. The only time I really see any enforcement of exclusivity in Oque is flex raiding and people already do that without using the addon. There is also no match making system for flex anyway.

    Blizz could get around your problem by just not putting LFR on that system. I don't think there's many people using Oque for LFR anyway. Have it for finding flex and world bosses groups etc (stuff that you can't do via current matchmaking systems). At the moment people have to use trade chat which is far from an ideal solution.

    I could never find a group for a celestial boss on Timeless isle at 3am but with Oque I can join a group at that time and get it done in under 10 mins...

    In fact after wednesday it's hard to find a celestial group at all without waiting around for hours even on my medium population server. If I was on a dead realm it's probable i'd never find a group even at peak times without an addon like Oque.

    This is why blizzard employees have themselves recommended Oque to people on dead realms for example.
    Last edited by Paulosio; 2013-10-31 at 06:50 AM.

  19. #19
    I guarantee blizzard is creating this function for the next expansion.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by iamthedevil View Post
    I guarantee blizzard is creating this function for the next expansion.
    It's like a reason to play WoW instead of other MMOs, it is that good. What is so great about it is the ability to actually have a leader who makes actual calls about the group content and can remove tards.

    I also love the global ban list, btw, and it breaks no rules. What a great threat- fuck with the community, actually get banned.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrops View Post
    I think they didn't know about the donation button.
    From http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1021053914
    I'm pretty sure they do. The button, however is pretty subtle, and it doesn't actually say "DONATE!". If Blizzard told Tiny no, I'm sure he'd take it out.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •